Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chop My '54 Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jasone, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

OUCH!!:D:eek:

LOL!!!

2. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

That would be fun !!!:)

3. MHO. I think the problem with chopping these cars is the .75 acre FLAT parcel that IS the roof. The 50 Ford has a "crown" to the roof that isnt there in the later cars....... if you take out too much of the height, they looked smashed and nothing corrects that look.
    Understand, this is what MY eye sees. It's just my opinion being offered up. I've never chopped a car.
    Good call bringing the car by Ian. The man has great skill and a good eye.

4. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

yo jason
    my buddy use to own the bare metal car years ago. ive alway love the back window treatment. also you can carson top it.

Attached Files:

5. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

here are 2 more. sink the rear glass into the trunk a bit.

Attached Files:

6. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

54 fords!!!!! mmmmmmm....one of my favs! i was gonna say leave it alone, but there is a couple chopped ones on this thread that are great!

7. jasone

jasone

Love all the ideas and really appreciate all the great input. I love, love, love the black one with the green flake roof!...I stare at that one the most on Riksters site.

8. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

Hey SlmLrd, those are all pics of my car, if your ever in the Oceanside area let me know, your more than welcome to cruise by to check it out and slam a brew or two!

And the rear window is a 50 Chevy piece, but shoebox ones work as well.

9. Here is a 52 that lowdown is finishing up. The proportions are difficult to get right but you can get them.

Attached Files:

10. What ever happened to =mike= anywyas?

11. I have never seen one that looked right chopped.I think people try to chop these cars too much.Less is more with some styles.If you do chop it, try just a subtle amount and try to cut down the huge crown on the roof,the roof is so tall on these cars that you could put a bunk bed up there under the headliner.

12. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

Slmlrd - I wouldnt do it - I dig the proportions of your ride as it is - i love me a chop top, but I think sometimes it just aint meant to be ya know

not to hijack, but what color is that?

13. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

I vote NO. In my opinion these cars look great AS-IS. You dont have to chop these cars to make it a head turning custom. These cars look bad ass the way they are. Dont chop a car just to chop a car and try to fit the mold. Less is more. Some people should try to learn that. Not all cars need to be chopped. Too many cars are already trashed because of it.

14. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

that's a hard chop to do and they look funny with more than a couple inches missing.seen alot of bad chops on these cars.

15. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

i see mike a lot. im swinging by his house this weekend.

16. jasone

jasone

I hear ya, and agree. Like I said I am toying with the idea. Got a lot of plans for the body...shaved handles, frenched taillights and headlights for starters. Nothing set in stone as far as the chop is concerned.

Seen my share (bad chops) as well...that's why I am on here, to get some sage advice.

17. Joelchris

Joelchris
    from Pomona

Is that the original side trim used for Jimmy Vaugns 54 ford?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  18. The only 52/53/54 Ford I have ever seen done right chopped is Jimmy Vaughn's and it was a hard top, and only chopped a little. A Post Ford should never be chopped, the pillars just look too fat and it looses the lines. Slimming can be done with a two tone paint and dropping it. If anything, whack the whole top and put a carson on it.

19. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

That light bronze one...Yeaaah right on!

20. elrobo818

elrobo818

what about this one?... AND its a four door =D

[​IMG]

21. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Just for the record. Jimmie Vaughans car is not chopped. It does retain the stock "spear" side trim. Also, the Bruns did the initial custom work on the car.

jimmy bruns likes this.
  22. fittyford

fittyford
    from Oregon

there is a flat red flame/scalloped one I saw at unfinished nationals a few years back
    it had a 51 merc rear window in it thats the best I have seen.Does anyone have pics of this car?

23. desertdroog

desertdroog

Check out the links (second or third one) I posted on the first page of this thread. I think there is an image of it there. Not a profile, but a front 7/8ths view.

24. Axle I was waiting for someone to chime in on that. His car is a MILD custom. Thanks

25. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

heres another shot of =mike='s car befor swaping the rear window. i really like how it looks.

Attached Files:

26. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

Heres the original with yellow lines showing where I cut it and red areas showing what was removed.
    about 3-4 inches front and back and the backglass was moved foreward 6-8" retaining it's height and angle.
    the side windows were reshaped after chopping the top and moving the rear window.
    54chop.jpg
    here's the result with the area behind the glass left white to show how far it was moved.
    54chop1.jpg
    and here's with the color blended in.
    54chop2.jpg
    You can toggle between the first and last images in the viewer to animate it.
    I don't think you could chop much more than 3-4 inches vertical without replacing the rear glass.

27. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

Here is the 54 ford my brother and i chopped and sold about a month ago. Only picture i have
    [​IMG]

28. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Thanks a bunch, I may have to hit you up on that. You doing the big3 this year?

29. desertdroog

desertdroog

SlmLrd, keep us posted. I am curious how you are going to handle the windshield. Do you have an extra in the wings to chop or will you be cutting down your original one?

30. poorboy

poorboy

i say nah, just lower the hell out of it!