Register now to get rid of these ads!

Value of a 35 Chevy Coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pancho, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Pancho

Pancho

Hello, It's been awhile since I posted here. It's good to be back. I have a question that I know you guys can help me with. Recently I found a 35 Chevy 5 window coupe body on a ranch nearby. It's pretty stripped. No running gear. Just a body, both suicide doors, trunk lid and back fenders sitting on a frame. It's not rotten, not crashed up. Typical Colorado sheetmetal. The ranch owner is supposed to get back to me on what he wants for it. I know value is highly subjective but what do you guys think it's worth? I'm not sure I'd build something from it so price it like you would if you wanted to resell it if you could. Thanks in advance, Pancho

2. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

With the suicide doors, it's a Master 5 window coupe. You might post some pictures of it. I'm not sure, but the Masters might not have all of the wood in them that the Standards had in them. Before you go much farther, check with your DMV to determine what you will need to get a title.

3. I know a guy who sold just a bare '33 Chevy coupe shell with the doors gutted and welded and no deck lid, from an old stock car, for $1000. I'd have to think a decent shell with doors and deck on a frame would bring that, but it depends - someplace like the southwest where solid tin grows on trees, not so much, in the northeast where if it had sat outside here it would be a rusty streak between two trees, more so.

Seems like '35s were reproduced in fiberglass, so making it complete wouldn't be too bad either.

4. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Also Masters are full of wood. That is a cool coupe. I would build it.

Would look rea nice sitting next to my sedan.

5. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

So all of the wood came out in 36? Don't the 35 and 36 Masters look alike or similar?

6. I think only the '35's had suicide doors.
    All '35/'36 had wood as far as I know.

7. i know my 36' deluxe had tons of wood! pretty big projects those GM products.

8. 35chevymaster

35chevymaster
    from indiana

the wood came out of the doors mid year 36 , 35's have all kinds of wood , I made sheet metal inner door panels for mine with a brake & bead roller, wood around all 3 rear windows.trunk is held in place with wood all around,,, imo 35 masteers are rare just for the fact that when the wood rotted they were scraped I gave 2k for my body I thought it was high, but have you priced a similar Ford body...

9. Yes the masters have just as much wood. Helped on a 35 Master 2dr sedan years ago and the doors were a real pain to get to fit. They are a cool car though and if the sheetmetal is solid i would expect to pay anywhere between $1000.00-$20000.00. 1935 is the only year for sucide doors and Master only. Pictures sure would help.

10. Pancho

Pancho

Thanks, guys. If I could figure out how to get pics from my cell phone to my computer I'd post a couple. Anyone here familiar with doing that? I'm hoping the owner isn't a car guy and will part with it cheap. You never know.
    This car seems to have less wood framing than my 35 Pontiac had. Didn't Chevy go steel before some of their GM sister makes?

11. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

If he told you he will get back to you, he already knows. He's probably been approached a zillion times by speculators. Just decide an offer you are comfortable with and take the cash and a trailer. The demonstrated sincerity will get him interested.

12. Pancho

Pancho

Actually this guy is a wealthy absentee landowner. I've only spoken to the ranch foreman. The foreman thought that one of the landowner's buddies was interested in the 41 Pontiac sedan sitting next to the coupe but knew nothing about plans for the Chevy. He's supposed to know something first of the week. The cars are down in the bottom of a canyon well away from casual observers. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the guy will be amenable to selling it if I just go slow and don't bug him too much. Guys with money don't really have much incentive to do anything they don't want to. The money's unimportant. If any hassles or irritations are involved they'll blow you off.

13. 33_chevy

33_chevy
    from TX

Im not sure but i don't think chevy made a coupe with suicide doors.....did they????

14. 35PontiacCoupe

35PontiacCoupe
    from COS

Yea, as the others have pointed out, the 35 masters, as well as Pontiacs and buicks had suicide doors.

Pancho, do you still have that 35 Pontiac? Coupe or Sedan?

15. Pancho

Pancho

No, I sold both cars a few years ago. I know the guy who has them and he hasn't really done anything with them. The 35 was a touring sedan. The 36 was a rumble seat coupe. I can get you his phone number or ask him if he's interested in selling them.Let me know.

16. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

If it helps my buddy paid 10k for a good 34 master from Cali a good few years ago, in pieces but all there (frame n sheetmetal).

17. Ghost28

Ghost28

A guy in brighton colo just sold a 35 master coupe project, with a title for $1200.00. It went to wyoming, and the only thing it was missing was the hood. Deals like this are few and far between. I missed it by a few hours...John

18. 35PontiacCoupe

35PontiacCoupe
    from COS

Naw, just curious. I don't run into many 35 Coupes, that was the main reason I asked. I have only seen 1 in person, but have seen a couple 36 Coupes and several 35 sedans.

A few months ago my buddy actually saw a 35 sedan cruising down the road by Littleton. He said it was a little rough, but a driver. I don't remember the color, but maybe that was your old one!

19. i saw a 35 coupe 1 owner car today at the swap meet today and the guy was asking 14k. the thing was beautiful and you could tell it had been garaged it's whole life. price seemed a bit steep to me but that's just me.

20. 40hemicpe

40hemicpe
    from anaheim.ca

those are nice cars seen a buddys dads 35 restored black on black it was cherry

21. 35PontiacCoupe

35PontiacCoupe
    from COS

To clarify, the rare coupes that I was talking about are Pontiac coupes. I've seen several 35 Chevy coupes...