Register now to get rid of these ads!

Grundy auto ins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ALLSTEEL30FORD, Jan 18, 2010.

1. slowforty

slowforty

Over the last 15 years I have had three claims with Grundy.
    All three were handled with the best service.
    And they still have not canceled me

2. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Recently had a claim with Grundy for 12000 on my General lee, everything went great, quick service and great satisfaction, highly recommended by me! Jim

3. DOUBLEZO

DOUBLEZO
    from SACramento

Hi there -- You can take your collector vehicle out for pleasure and hobby use. Ice cream with the kids IS covered. Below is part of a story I wrote that describes what is actually covered. I had interviewed Chuck Wasoski, our VP Collector Car Insurance Program......
    I also have grundy. now what if i want to go on a "pleasure drive" for ice cream at the grocery store? hmmmmmm.....

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  4. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Grundy all the way....F*ck Haggerty. They denied coverage and only offered storage insurance on a 34' pickup I built. For the paint wasn't shiny enuff????

Haggerty denied a friends v-12 flathead Lincoln t-bucket. The reason being he had made a 5 carb intake manifold in which 2 were operational and the other 3 were dummies, their reasoning....too much horsepower??

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

There is NOTHING in my policy that states Big Olds is not covered while driving to the grocery store, in the grocery store parking lot, driving home from the grocery store, driving to my place of employment, in my work parking lot, or driving home from work. What it states is that it is not to be used as a daily driver and it is not. I have a '98 Grand Marque as my daily driver and Grundy is well aware of this fact as they have the declaration page on file which proves I have a daily driver.

6. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Denise, Your word is gold around here, one of a small number that really speak the gospel. I don't question you. I do question why a company would turn away business so casually over such simple and flexible words. You told me to contact Becky. I did. I posted her reply.

"We have strict underwriting guidelines that prohibit the cars we insure from being used as "daily transportation."-- Running errands or driving to work unfortunately fall under that category."

That looks like playing on words. I am the straightest of shooters, no BS, no games kind of consumer. I think lower profile customers than yourself may be subject to more stringent standards and if someone asks, I will share my experience. Plain and simple, I was turned away on "driving to the grocery store". From replies to this post, I wasn't the only one. No one at Grundy wants to talk about that. I'm a paid Alliance member, Grundy is an Alliance vendor. Is a better explanation unwarranted? Clearly, Grundy has first rate customer service, as testified here. I take my insureance coverage very seriously and don't like word play. In the absence of a declaration in hand, I have only the words of the company representatives to go on. What should I take away from the exchange with them?

7. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I asked both on the phone and on the "Grundy thread" and both times the answer was not covered driving to work even with a daily driver, an insured daily driver.

I'd rather pay $200 more and be SURE I was covered.

8. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

I want to get on with Grundy, but haven't found the right person to talk to yet. Fellow rodders pull small light trailers (Like Scotty's) to events to enjoy the weekend when camping is allowed. So far they have all told me to don't think they are covered to tow, but just take their chances. I'm not that brave. I'm also in the stages of finishing my current project, it's it's not painted for final appearance. I'm paying too much through State Farm right now, but feel it's all I can do right now till done. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

9. josh77

josh77

I'd like to know that too. The last classic policy I had (not Grundy) had a 15 year rule. I like my 86 Bronco more than my 01 Tundra, and plan on dumping the Tundra this spring. Am I still elligible for a classic policy?

10. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

jerry,go online to grundy and fill out an app. tell them the value of your car..then mail them the agreed policy price for one year.
    my 35,000 car is 272 per year

11. josh77

josh77

12. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

my bad...clicked wrong one

13. Swifster

Swifster

Damn, I like that paragraph :D! I had a '67 Rolls Royce I had looked at, and the 'other' guys insurance company sent out an appraiser who didn't know what he was looking at. He wanted my estimate to cheat off of.

I'll touch on a couple of things that were brought up. Yes, Grundy's claims are handled by Philadelphia Insurance. Their adjusters handle only vintage car claims in the vintage car department. They aren't squeezing them in between handling at your neighbors SUV. They are also licensed in the states where they are required.

To give you an idea that the claims staff at Philly (aka Grundy) gets it, there was a guy who just completed his '30 Ford pick up before the Tampa Street Rod Nationals last October. He took the little pick up out for a shake down ride and was hit by a neighbor which did about $3800+ in damage to the left front suspension. The claim was assigned as soon as the guy made the claim and they requested I go out ASAP. I did and the car was at the show 10 days later.

Someone mentioned how nice and sunny Texas is and how much fun it is to drive their hobby car. As a car guy, I get this. BUT, if you drive the hobby car 3 days to work and your 2005 pick up two days a week, which car is really the daily driver?

I understand pleasure driving. But can someone please tell me how you can be that comfortable taking your hobby car to the grocery store (or heaven forbid, Walmart) and leave it parked so that it can get banged up by shopping carts and someone else's doors? This isn't to say I haven't seen this, but I have to question the logic. I'm building my Studebaker to be a driver, but you'll never see it at the local grocery store.

For the guy who was unhappy in Seattle, not everything goes as smooth as we'd all like. Some claims take longer than others (fires, ugh) and require a little bit of research. Some cars are one offs and others have parts that have long been discontinued. We all try to do the best we can. Remember, you (or someone) took time to build your car. We have to take that build and put the affected area on paper in a detailed fashion. This takes time. Some more than others.

I have only seen one claim denied, and that was by Infinity. And they were right in doing so. I guy insured his '87 Corvette (it was a POS) in Pontiac, MI. The guy rolled the car in the middle of (snowy) March into a cemetary at the end of his street. He had put 17,000 miles on it in 9 months. It was his daily driver and he was trying to take advantage of the system. This was in 2002.

I have seen people not renewed for various things such as no secured parking, multiple questionable claims, etc. But under full coverage, the only thing not really covered is wear & tear or just plain age. Oh, and racing. If there is a mechanical failure, you're responsible for the point of failure and the insurance company handles the rest. As an example, I recently did an engine fire where the fitting came out of the carb. The insurance company took care of everything but the carb.

No one wants to cut down your fun. if you have a 'hot rod' breakfast every morning, no one will complain. Using the car as daily transportation to work and back is a different story.

14. ride00007

ride00007
    from Illinois

Same thing I was told. Even an occasional trip to work wasn't covered. I've heard some guys say that they would just say " I wasn't coming home from work... i went to a repair shop." That's fine until the insurance company decides to ask questions at your work. Then you're out.
    I'd also rather pay a little extra cash and know I'm covered without having to tell a fib. I use American Collectors and pay about $600 a year for full coverage on a $35,000 car.

15. Swifster

Swifster

I will tell you that Grundy, Hagerty, Infinity and American Modern don't have a 15 year rule. Recent cars that I have looked at for all four included a 2009 Dodge Challenger, 2004 Lamborghini Diablo, 2003 Jaguar X-Type, a 2002 Camaro 35th Anniversary, etc. But I think you'll need to make the case that your 'new' car is collectible. You can make that arguement with a Corvette, but I think you'd have a hard time with a Focus or Malibu. The Bronco may be an issue as far as off-roading. I think this falls into the gray area similar to racing. Odds of damage goes up. If you dump the Tundra, what will be the daily driver?

One limit that I'm know most all of these companies have is age restrictions. The typical wording is '10 years of driving experience', which to me means you need to be at least 26. I think American Modern might be 25. If you are under this age limitation, it kind of leaves you with the Stated Value policies from State Farm or Allstate and hope you don't have a loss.

16. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

grundy is 25 y/o

17. most of them are 25, hagerty's is the only one that isn't. Trust me it sucks when your 20 yr's old and can't find insurance on your 47 chev truck and your wifes 49 cad.... been down that road. Maybe now that the wife is over 25 we should look at switching insurance companys in the spring when our policy is up

18. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Big Olds was covered for many years in primer from Grundy with no interior, top or windows. Whether they knew it was primer or thought it was painted I don't know. They required three photos I think it was, a front 3/4 shot, a rear 3/4 shot and one of the engine compartment. I took the photos from a low angle therefore not showing the interior or lack of top. As I upgraded Big Olds I sent them quick emails with details of the upgrades, photos and the new agreed values. Really painless.

Grundy is good about keeping their fingers on the pulse of the collector car market and has suggested a couple of times over the last couple of years that I increase my agreed value as they feel my car's value had gone up.

19. Swifster

Swifster

Most companies have a 'build' policy to protect the car while under construction. Mine is with Infinity. The more you do, the more you increase your policy limit. My Studebaker is at $5K. I've had many cars that I've inspected before they were completed but driveable. Most companies understand this. I think at times, especially thru an agency, that things are missed in translation.

Another thing is that a good appraiser has a good idea if a car is under or over insured. I just looked at a '65 Failane 500 done as a Pro Street car and it was insured for $50K. The car was under insured by a good $25K. I let him and the adjuster know. I also looked at a '68 Corvette with a 427 that was only insured for $16K. It was a nice car and should have been insured for at least twice that.

Then I've also had the '65 Buick Wildcat that was a total rust bucket (open trunk and see pavement) right down to the frame. This wasn't a $1K car but was insured for $9K!!!

20. dmac620

dmac620

What Denise said!

21. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Been with GRUNDY for 10 yrs ..the best for claims and customer service

22. josh77

josh77

Sorry, but you missed what Tomcats30 and I were asking. I'm not looking to insure my 86 Bronco with an agreed value policy. It is my daily driver. It is insured as such, just as my 01 Tundra is.
    What I experienced in the past was that my DAILY DRIVER had to be "X" number of years old or newer before I could buy collector coverage on a DIFFERENT elligible vehicle.
    Will I be denied coverage on my 31 Model A because my "newest" daily driver, fully insured independant of the collector insurance company, is too old?
    Lastly, my age is no longer an issue. I'm not sure if that's for the better!!!!:D

23. Swifster

Swifster

Yep, sorry. I did misread it. I've never run into that. The funny part is that your Bronco is probably better than my '01 Ranger with 244K on it.

24. shoveled71

shoveled71

Ive had Grundy for about 10 years on my 56 Ford P/U and two vintage Harleys, a little over 300.00 a year for all three, Id have to sell a couple of my toys if I had to pay average insurance rates. Spike

25. HELLMET

HELLMET

wonder how it works out when you have a car of high value car like a og 32 roadster you know a car like that goes for 60gs plus and to do a car like mine the roadster i could never replace it for 40gs if it got stolen or destroyed. and i'm not finished with it.but when its all done skys the limt. i have AAA right now but want to change to grundy . billy

Attached Files:

26. Billy, agreed value is just that. What you and the insurer agree on. It may take more facts and research to insure a car that normally is worth X and you want to insure it for X + $25K, but most collector car insurers will work worth you.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  27. beckyatgrundy

beckyatgrundy

Wow!!! Lot's of questions ... to touch on a few things I saw... 1. The car must be garage kept 2. Driving your car to breakfast to meet up with friends is ok 3. Bob -- Brad told me you called! That is GREAT 4. Driving to work in your collector vehicle regularly makes the vehicle appear to be a daily driver 5. As for the age of your daily driver, it really depends on what that car is and what your collector car is -- everything is always must be reviewed by our underwriters 6. Your collector vehicles cannot be used as back-up vehicles

Hope this helps!!!

Any questions, please e-mail me at [email protected]

Thanks!

28. I've been with Grundy for years with several of my cars insured with great rates and no problems although I've never had a claim. I also insure three of my unmodified original cars with Continental Western Group (formerly TSI) because the rates are typically under $100 a year and I rarely drive them.

29. Who offers the best rates on a daily driver? I am fortunate in that my work drive is a 1 mile and a quarter, one way, and a bi-monthly trip to town, 6 miles one way or so. I am out in the woods of Oklahoma. Thinking on a replacing the S-10 with a '39 Chevy PU and these are good questions.........

30. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

And that is when you will find out how good your policy AND your company is!!!!