Register now to get rid of these ads!

Straight Pipes Full Exhaust System

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pitts642, Jan 18, 2010.

1. edit

Thanks, Jeff

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2011
  2. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I run straight pipes all the time. No troubles here

3. My Merc has straight pipes. Never had mufflers...

4. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

ever since i owned cars.

5. 40hemicpe

40hemicpe
    from anaheim.ca

i run 1 8inch and run the other straight.:D

6. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I dunno...for how many miles you put on that car every year, I think it would get pretty tiresome listening to straight pipes all the time. And forget being able to hear your 8 track. :)

7. I tryed running straight pipe this year I found that I used to get 28 mpg straight pipe with motorcycle mufflers on the end. But when I went to the hunnert from ny to illiniose I ended up get less mpg with the straight pipe.
    I think I realized why I got less mpg I was having way to much fun making all the noise with the straight pipe and I found it wasn't as noisy as you think if the straight pipe is althe way out the back

8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Gotta go against the grain here...I think they sound like shit.
    In general......I can see that low HP older engines "might" sound OK, like Chevy sixes, and flatties, but any modern engine with more horses are loud, harsh and obnoxious. And yes, I realize a lot of 'rebels' here want that, OK for them, but don't complain about tickets, either!
    Sounds like you've got some good horsepower there. The right mufflers will actually make it sound better, and give you more power, besides being a little sneakier when you DO decide to do a little stoplight to stoplight action.
    I had a 57 Chevy once, with a high reving 302, 12 1/2 to 1's, roller cam, etc. I first had glasspacks put on it. Bad choice. Too raspy and loud. Called attention to the car ALL the time. I soon swapped them out for a set of Walker Turbos, and was much happier, and could 'fool around' more with the car when I wanted to, though at full throttle, it still had a kinda loud healthy growl!

9. paintcan54

paintcan54

I run straight pipes on my '54 Ford SBC, and on the wifes '41 International PU, I made my owen mufflers. Took 3" tail pipe tubing cut it 24' long weld the ends to fit 2" tail pipe tubing and hang same as a muffler has a sound all of it's owen deep mellow tone.

10. Johnny Clash

Johnny Clash

I had straight pipes on my 53 plymouth with a flat six for a while. It sounded OK but I got tired of it and welded on a scion muffler I had laying around at work. It sounded real good actually. Straight pipes are cool for about two weeks. Then your over it.

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

No mufflers here. A stock Studebaker engine. 1 3/4" tail pipes ending under the rear end. Not raggy at all. The size and compression of the engine has a big affect.

12. the-rodster

the-rodster

GM 305 TBI, stainless blockhugger headers, two inch stainless duals straight back, no mufflers

13. yblock292

yblock292

run straight pipes on my yblock coupe

14. greasemonkey060

greasemonkey060

If not straight pipes my cars usually get a cherry bomb. Ever consider cut outs?

15. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

My '49 Ford had straight side pipes. The first couple of days cruising the neighborhood was fun. Then I went on a 35 mile drive down the freeway. It got old real fast. I just installed a full exhaust and now I can hear the stereo or talk to my wife.

16. cooljunk

cooljunk

A cross over or H pipe connecting the duals will mellow out the harshness.

17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Hell yes! Straights on my FH powered deuce roadster. Shop is 150 ft. from the house, cat runs and hides everytime I start up.

18. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

What's a muffler?

19. No Cents

No Cents

I know lots of guys around here with straight pipes. My daily driver truck (not HAMB friendly) has 4" straight pipe from the turbo all the way back to the bumper. Sounds awesome !!!!

20. knucklepower

knucklepower
    from .

I drive my buick with no muffler. my knuckle needs no muffler.
    loud pips are a problem in the states?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  21. big creep

big creep

i run no mufflers! 350 small block, but i did put in an h pipe. no problems here. just dont get on it when cops are around.

22. 35 Woodie

35 Woodie

My buddy's flathead deuce uses a '36 driveshaft after Fenton headers under the doors on each side. Motorcycle baffles wrapped in sound deadening material are fitted into the ends of the pipes. Nice and loud:D Drives the hell out of the car on trips of 300 miles and more.

[​IMG]

23. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

All you guys running straight pipes should probably start putting money aside - hearing aids are pretty expensive. ;) I wish I'd taken better care of my ears when I was younger, but it's too late now; I'm not wearing them yet but I have a pretty significant hearing loss from too many years spent around loud things.

24. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

X2
    Motorcycles, Auto Racing, Aviation, Metal Fab/Repair, & Punk Rock have destroyed my hearing... Believe me when I say it's no fun having Tinnitus (Ringing) in your ears 24/7

25. big creep

big creep

its not loud in the car, just for the guy behind me. i think guys in the hot rods are the ones who should worry. im in a full size car.

26. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'm going to go ahead and agree with Mark here. It always seems, around here at least, that the slowest cars seem to make the most noise. Us guitar players know there is a difference between tone and volume, and you can have both. Straight pipes always sounded like pure volume to me. Harsh sounding, with lots of crackly highs that really pierce the air and make it very uncomfortable to be around, especially for long distance trips. Also, big cube motors that don't rev real high tend to sound like tug boats at low speed cruising. I love the classic sound of rappy pipes, but I like the tone that comes from a set of Smittys or Brockmans. Still loud, but more refined. You want the car to draw the attention to it, not the noise.

Also, I live in a nice neighborhood, and I like to drive my car all the time, including odd hours of the morning and night. I'm respectful of my neighbors, so I like that my car isn't unreasonably loud at idle, so I can get in and out of my neighborhood without drawing too much attention to myself.

My setup: 383 Chrysler, 10.2:1, stock manifolds, 2.5" duals (prob tapering down to 2" in the bends), Cherry Bomb glass packs cut down to 12" under the driver seat. Quiet enough when I need them to be, loud when I want them to be

27. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I have built a few straight pipe exhaust systems. They tend to sound like a well worn glass pack. And when passing the fuzz , just push in the clutch and idle by....

28. big creep

big creep

if its too loud you're too old! ;)

29. Straight pipes on everything, even on my daily 5.7 Hemi Magnum.

if it is a V8 then straight pipes all the way, best sounds imho are Flatheads and Nailheads. If you run an Inline 6 or 8 (or even 12) I was taught by a member of the Oldies Car Club to run 1" pencil tips with 1 6" glass pack on one side and straight pipe on the other. The sound is unique and I love it.

30. That Poncho sounds sweet!