Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs laying a 41 chevy convertible on its rockers....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kami-cozzi, Jan 13, 2010.

1. customcory

customcory

I sectioned the front crossmember on my 51 Chev a 1 1/2 ". It worked great, more people should look into it for a little extra drop. And it brings your front crossmember up from the ground for a little more ground clearence. It also has dropped spindles, cut coils. I like what your doing to this 41 convertible. Rare car!:D

2. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Hell yeah dude! :D
    Aircraft hydros on this will kill it!
    The frame job is very nice IMO and its pretty obvious you got skills!
    Aint a Bomb fanatic but love og lowriders....ill keep watchin this closeley

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

LOL, I think I've been served...:D All I'll say is that the '41 Chev sedan I cut the roof off, and made a convertible sedan from, was VERY "twisty", despite the 3/16" 2x6 box tubing "X" member I added to the frame. Had to be very careful where to jack the thing up, or the doors would bind, and pulling the boat led to interesting things happening to the door edge gaps in motion... It won't "fail", but it's gonna be limber.

I like the build, and I like your attitude.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

LOL, oh really. Hmmm... that's not the way it was explained to me. How about a simple real world example. Take a piece of 3/16" plate about 4 feet long and 4" wide. Clamp it to a fixture so that about 3 1/2 feet of it hang over. Set something about 10 lbs. on the end. Hmmmm... it bends like a bitch... and it was already sagging like a fiend. now take the same piece with one piece of vertical plate down the center in a T , upside down or right side up. Do the same thing and tell me what happens. It supports the load. Hmmm... your "the horizontal sections (or flanges) of an I-Beam or Hat Channel are the load bearing portions of the member" theory is shot to hell. It's the combination of vertical and horizontal. Without the vertical the horizontal won't do squat. Real easy to understand that way. Yes you can get away with some holes in the vertical as long as it's there to add the rigidity and support to those horizontal pieces...

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Don't sweat it, I've had more than a few cars up on the lift, lifted from the factory designated spots or solidly on the frame and they did the same thing.

6. Great work! Can't wait to see more!

7. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

THAT, I agree with, but that's sort of the nature of ladder frame cars, especially with topless bodies.

That's 'cause your flat stock has the neutral fiber in the center of it's section height (which gives only 3/32" of leverage).

The beam web has to be there in some form, otherwise it's not a beam, but decreasing the web height does not automatically reduce the strength of the member.

If you make the web shorter, you reduce the leverage of the bottom flange (because it's getting closer to the neutral axis). All things remaining equal, the strength will go down. However, he replaced the lower flange material with wider and thicker steel than it originally had.

So, while he's reduced the leverage which has increased the load seen by the lower flange on that hat channel, he has also greatly increased the strength of the member by beefing up the lower flange material and continuously welding the parts together.

You are right that the flat stock needs the vertical web to be a beam, but if you run the numbers on a beam, their strength is greatly determined by the width and thickness of the horizontal flanges, while the web thickness has a much smaller effect. The web height makes a bigger difference than the web thickness, but the tallest beam in the world will still have its capacity determined by what kind of horizontal flanges it has.

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

or to have any chance at "load bearing". Yes your theory all sounds great, but in actual application what he will have to do is make it much heavier to support the same weight, or maintain structural integrity. None of which I see happening to maintain the integrity of the frame on all axis. I'm also thinking a jig should have been used to section the frame as pulling it apart that way will compromise the alignment. If he was building a mini truck I wouldn't care as I find them disposable. That car not so much.

9. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

LOL

It "sounds great" because it is correct.

You can't fight the math man, no matter how much you don't want to believe it.

Regardless, we'll just have to agree to disagree, so we don't crap this guy's thread up anymore than we already have.

Watch until the end, and we'll see who's right.

If his car breaks in half, I'll apologize and state that I was wrong.

But I like my chances just fine. ;)

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I think your math is correct, but either not the complete equation for a frame or being misapplied in this instance. It may not break in half right away, but I'd like to see what the doors look like when it's put on a lift. Or jacked up. So we can disagree. I still think he went about it the wrong way. He's mini-truckin a cool old convertible.

11. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

You're talking about deflection, not ultimate strength.

I ran the strength numbers.

To calculate deflection, I'd need more info than I've got.

If he finds the frame too limber, there are things that he can do to stiffen it back up again.

I say we cut the guy some slack and see where he takes it.

If it sucks in the end, then so be it, but I for one would like to see how it shakes out.

12. billys54

billys54

looks sweet keep us updated

13. kami-cozzi

kami-cozzi

wow man just give it a rest. no disrespect but your beating a dead horse. let me build the car, and when its done if the doors dont close because they're out of whack, or the conv top doesnt line up right, i'll give you the keys to my f*ckin shop. everyone has an opinion, but lay it to rest bro.

and i started as a minitrucker when i was 14, hacked the shit out of an s-10, learned alot of good lessons, then toar it down and built it the right way. ive seen alota shitty built rods as well, at least i didnt have my first build be a valuable car and ruin it. and ive built alot of nice cars and made alot of people happy since then.

BUT the biggest thing is the owners right there with me. were building it in his shop, and granted its not a full chassis fab shop, weve done our homework trust me. if u want i'll send you my note pad full of measurements and equations, and my list of tensile and torsional strengths.

but like i said, IM NOT HERE FOR A PISSING MATCH.

if you dont like whats bein done in this thread, dont look at it, simple as that
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Keep up the good work dude.

15. kami-cozzi

kami-cozzi

WOW are you for real zman?? you just admitted you've put cars up in the air and seen em tweak. im assuming these are stock chassis' as well?? and your baggin on me, sayin my frame is gonna do the same thing???

so whats the difference between mine and the ones youve dealt with?

im confused.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Those big smilies are creepin' me out dude, especially the weepy one down in that ad bar.

He looks like someone just drowned his puppy in front of him or something.

17. kami-cozzi

kami-cozzi

WANTED TO THANK EVERYONE AGAIN FOR THE COMPLIMENTS!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

everything ive posted thus far has been the result of hard work on weekends for the past 4 months. youre compliments, encouragement, and even more-so negativity has further driven me to build this car to the best of my ability (with the resources im given)

picture updates will come once a week i hope, but at a slower pace.

were now mocking up the drivetrain, and clearancing the body for the c-notch and any other issues that may arise. then its time to CUT OFF THE ROCKER PINCH WELD AND MOUNT THE BODY, THEN LAY HERE OUT!!!!!

ive already assembled the body and sheetmetal on the chassis once, to see if i have any fitment or alignment issues, before i sectioned the frame. i'll bolt it all together again, double check everything, then begin to convert the coupe into a convertible. i may start a new thread for that portion of the build.

and im doing all the paint and bodywork on this car as well, soooooo this will be a full build to follow.

THANX FOR THE SUPPORT AND KEEP CHECKIN IN FELLOW HAMBERS!!!!

[​IMG]

18. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

do your thing Kami-cozzi,we all know there are guys out there that point fingers and say you cant do it and then there are guys that get shit done.

19. kami-cozzi

kami-cozzi

AWWWW come on man, the smileys add flair!!! you gonna start nay-saying my smileys? lol im kinda a silly sumbitch, so now that i know u dont like em, ill do more just to piss u off

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  20. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

I'll admit it, those last two made me laugh.

That thumbs up one reminds me of George Carlin's "Buddy Jesus" from the movie Dogma.

21. pinky49

pinky49

what are you planning for the rear suspension? is it still gonna be a closed driveline?
    i did a 50 hardtop similar to what you're doing and for the rear it was standard triangulated 4 link except that i sunk the lower links into the lower flange and boxed it in so everything just tucked up out of the way.
    anyway, nice build looking good.
    ed

22. kami-cozzi

kami-cozzi

its gonna be a two piece driveline, with a carrier bearing. '54 chevy rear end, and monoleafed. O.G. didnt want to do any kind of link set-up. im not a big fan of monoleafing, but its what he wants to do. hes been buildin em for years like that.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  23. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Hey Kami-Cozzi, ask those O.G. homies if they can make another pair of drop spindly thingies for my bomb Fleet. And if they can, how much they want?

Pretty please and thank you.
    Michelle

24. juanz1947

juanz1947

its is going to be a bad ass build i have a 47 chevy that i want to get on the ground i hope some day :D

25. kami-cozzi

kami-cozzi

im sure they can...... i'll get on it....

26. russnunn

russnunn
    from Florida

cant wait to see the finished product

27. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Cool!!:)

28. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

so George is gonna go 5 lug?I got a trick so he can keep the OG rear/6 lug AND go open drive.

29. kami-cozzi

kami-cozzi

buddy jesus huh??? lmfao now that you mention it i guess so. but how bout that selma hayek huh???

DIOS MIO!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Im disappointed, i was hoping to see some update and instead i just found proof
    of heavy keyboard fights! :D
    Mistgreen: you got my attention, how would you do that?