Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dumbest thing an "EXPERT" has said about your ride?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SOHC427, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DEEPNHOCK

DEEPNHOCK

(note: Not a slam)

I always laugh when the marque specific experts start a conversation.
    They usually start with "S/N 12345xyz" or "My "6789ABC"...
    I have had people come up to me at shows and ask me my s/n...on a '37 Studebaker!:eek:
    I just chuckle and tell them I use my brain cells for better things than trying to remember serial numbers...

Besides, I only remember how much I spent on breakfast that morning...
    $0.00, because I am smart.. and ate at a Holiday Inn Express....
    (Might have been nicer if I had stayed there, too:rolleyes:)
    Jeff:cool:

2. nofin

nofin
    from australia

Was selling a 88 bronco (351W) and a guy came to look at it and he was telling me all about them and how good they were and what features they had and how he had been looking for a while. Then he asked me when was the last time the timing belt was changed

3. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

A buddy of mine pulled up to my work in his 69 Camaro , he had just built a 406 inch small block and it sounded strong. We raised the hood and I was checking out his work, then my boss opened his mouth and let my buddy and me just how dumb he is. He asked what size cams do you have in that...yes cams ..with an S. I told him it's a small block Chevrolet engine...he just stairs like a deer in the head lights. Then I said it only has one cam... he just turned and walked away...geee and he owns the place. He drives a 4.6 liter Ford ...he thought all engines where over head cam.

4. mopar210

mopar210

POINT TAKEN i dub thee_ "non dick"

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  5. vette man

vette man

Why Did you put a Chevy in it?

6. A guy points at the firing order that's cast into a 66 GTO intake manifold, and tells his girlfriend, that's the wrong part number for that year GTO

7. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

I used to have the "expert" mutter under his breath that my '48 Willys pickup was not a 48, and this happened quite often. Hell, it happened at a NSRA nationals event once when I was going through the gate, and that was staff. Now those cock suckers are opening up the the events to later models. It was absurd that every chevy truck up to 1952 was magically a 1948 at their events. :mad:

8. crashbox

crashbox

The "ex spirt" at the local 3/8 mile dirt track tech check told me the monoleaf springs on my No Va were not stock Chevy, that only Corvettes had monoleaf springs. ( "Really? I don't think vette springs will fit".) Then he tells me the tires on the left side of the car are smaller than the right side. ("Oh, well I have to turn left alot.")
    Then there was the guy checking out my '31 Ford coupe. It runs a 33 B banger.
    "I've never seen a Volvo engine in a Ford before."
    I was confused. All that money I spent at Sac Vintage and now I find out it's a Volvo. Damn!
    A few years ago at the Oakland Museum there the was the California Hot Rods show.
    One of the many important cars on display was the Doane Spencer roadster. I went on a weekday so as to avoid the crowds, but on the day I went there was a school field trip to the museum. So, I'm standing there checking out the Spencer car , having a near religious experience, and a kid runs up to the car, looks at it for about 3 seconds and tells his buddy "That a kit car"!

9. TLong302

TLong302

One time I had a guy asked if I was going to keep my Model A stock.
    Its Yellow, Chopped and has a SBC

10. woman "why did he do that?"

man "because he wanted it that way."

he got it, she didn't.

man "what's this piece of sheet doing in this car show?"
    his buddy "it's all about the engine...the car's not about showing off, it's about going fast."
    man "that's dumb."

yes, he left in a rusty turdbox.

11. Two guys looking at my Henry J sitting on the trailer: "I always liked these old Studebakers." "Yeah, me too, but not that year. Thats a 46, the 49s were much sleeker."

12. GuyW

GuyW

Well, at least he was (accidently) correct....

13. 1 foot in the grave

1 foot in the grave
    BANNED

Thought? We dont have that here in the USA dude? What is it again?:cool::cool:

14. Do you really hate women that much:D:D
    Lars

15. beanis

beanis

My '58 Forest Service wagon gets "Nice Nomad" all the time, and frequent arguments when I tell 'em no in '58, Nomads were all 4 door cars. Then, "I've never heard of a Yeoman!" is common. Funniest is when some arrogant asswipe insists to his buddy (or wife) AND ME that the car has been cut to make it a 2 door.

16. krag4201

krag4201

I was cruising my 65 Mercury Comet and a kid in a 5.0 mustang pulled up next to me and said "fuckin Chevy" I was running a 5.0 out of a junkyard 88 fox at the time!

17. cecce

cecce
    from Sweden

It's quite funny when people actually think they know more about someone else's car then the owner does. I often play along just to see what their point is.

The problem is when these people have the power to judge you. I'm thinking of the swedish safety inspetion… I showed up with my -57 Ranchero. A rolling restoration project at the time. The inspector finds a long rusthole in the sill and says that the car failed inspection since it has rust in a supportive area. I try to argument that the car is built on a frame the size of railroad-rails but he replies that a frame has nothing what so ever to do with a cars rigidity, its all in the sills. –So it failed and I gave up and put it aside in a barn where it has been for the last 11 or so years… It will be some barnfind one day!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  18. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Must be something wrong with me. At car show, in the driveway, or at the gas station, I don't analyze what people say to me, I just enjoy the two way banter.(conversation) It's not always about my car, sometimes it's about theirs.

19. Shipping to 77320? :D

20. cecce

cecce
    from Sweden

Lol! I've had it since I was 19. I'm 40 now so I'll stick with it.
    On a serious note: The shop is almost done and I have a welder today so I might get it done some day. After the model A and the musscle car and the…

21. Autozone yesterday, I drove my model A banger powered (you could hear me pull up as I have just a small pipe hooked to the manifold for exhaust right now) and parked it right out front. Idiot greenhorn they have behind the counter goes "350 in that thing?" I just looked at him and gave a blank stare. Another guy tried to give me his business card and ask me if I needed any work done? I just looked at him with a blank stare. C'mon I am in the auto parts store because I am working on something no one in the damn building could even Identify. Shoulda seen the look I got when I said head gasket for a 1930 model a and rattled off the felpro number to the counter guy, "Um the cumpooter don'ts go back dat farz". "Yes it does", was my response. Amazingly I got my gasket ordered because ahhhhh the computer does go back that far.-Weeks

22. Cool, I have the 60 in my avatar, Its sitting next to my Aunts barn. As soon as I get my garage built I'm going to start on it.

23. cecce

cecce
    from Sweden

Good! The "Falcon-Ranchero" is a really cool ride! The problem here might be that our conversation is bordering on "I'm gonna restore it some day"… :)
    Good luck with the garage!

24. ronnie tidwell

ronnie tidwell
    from odessa tx

my 53 m38a1 jeep, set up for hunting, nice, "how much u pay for that thing??, me $1000, " oh yeah i can buy em all day in lubbock at the army depot for $100.
    me
    yeah here is $200, pick me up a couple next time u are up that way

25. oops777

oops777
    from phx

i have a 53 pontiac cheif. my exhaust comes through the old tail lights (w/flame throwers).

'' Did that come stock?''

26. Thanks, I have to get my house done, then the shop. But yes it is starting to look like the "I'm gonna build it someday."

So for now I'm stuck with a '66 Barracuda.

27. Cops-
    Years ago, snoopin' for defects under the hood of our Ford Falcon- ," is that a V8 or 6 ?

Cops- Recently;
    " You must remove the tow- ball.. so our cameras can see your plate"
    - Guess this last one just sounds stupid to me 'coz I find the practice of surveillance or 'security' measures as a basic concept quite saddening..

Ultimately these were 'good cops' - no fines or canaries ( defect notices) were issued.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  28. kenseth17

kenseth17

My dad won a bet from our neighbor when I was a kid. My dad always had fords, and was talking about the ford 352, don't know if his car had one, but he had a couple ford galaxys when he was younger. Neighbor kept insisting that ford made a 351 not a 352. That neighbor later opened a bodyshop, and I worked for him for a short time while I was in tech school for autobody. He seemed decent enough though didn't know him real well when I was growing up. He was a Real dick, know it all to work for. Heard rumors he had to go to anger management classes. And he wondered why he couldn't keep anyone working for him. After a bout of month or two of getting up early and working for him before and after school fulltime for minimum wage, I called and got his daughter on the phone. I said tell your dad I won't be coming into work today or ever again.

In highschool there was a guy in our science class that thought he knew a lot about cars, but usually ended up sounding like an idiot. So one day I grab one of my car crafts or hot rod magazines and take a picture of a 30,000 mile original grabber green boss mustang. When I got the picture developed, it looked like it was taken of a car and couldn't tell it was snapped from a magazine. I bring it to school the next day, and let a friend in on it. I tell this kid who knows so much about cars that I looked at this mustang and was thinking of buying it cause it was in such good shape. Then he goes on about how the wheels were changed, can tell from the picture its been repainted and on and on. Me and my friend both were trying not to bust a gut while he was telling us all this.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  29. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

This guy that must have been about two or three hundred years old once called the cops on me and my crew because our lowered VW bugs, he thought anyway, had hydraulics.

Which in his estimation were "dangerous and illegal". A lady cop showed up, checked our plates, registration, and insurance, and told us we were good to go. Pops looked like he was gonna have a stroke.

30. I think it stands to reason, that if you are a Ranchero owner at some point a dumbass will say....."what is that like the first El Camino ever, .....right?" I always tell tell them yes, but its a special edition called a Ranchero.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.