Register now to get rid of these ads!

Going to look at a 1959 Chrysler Imperial... what to look for?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by halem23, Jan 17, 2010.

1. halem23

halem23

I just sold one of my cadillac projects and now I am going to go check out a '59 chrysler imperial to buy. The guy says it is fairly complete but needs work. Has motor but does not run. Not sure which model it is yet.... You guys know of anything to pay special attention to when making my offer? Any problem areas to watch out for?

Thanks

2. Squablow

Squablow

Should have a 413 in it. Neat looking cars. The grille for these cars is highly prized to customizers, so if it's missing or damaged it will be very difficult to replace.

As with most Forward Look Mopars, they have tons of glass which is expensive and difficult to replace, they have tons of chrome which is hard to find and expensive to redo, and they are prone to rust out. If it has good chrome, good glass, and an amount of rust that you consider fixable, then I'd say go for it. Typical rust locations to check out are in the rocker panels, door bottoms, lower rear quarters, and most importantly, the fenders right above and around the headlights.

3. halem23

halem23

Thanks for the info. I hope it is in as good of shape as the guy says it is...but you never know how people describe things.

4. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

SqawBlow hit a ton of great points! I only want to throw in that IF it turns out to be a South Hampton, it COULD conceivably have a 392, as the Imperial Division got Chrysler to set aside a few of those Hemis (I'm thinking as special-order options). Worth looking under the hood, for sure.

5. Some of the 59 Chrys. had a RB 383 in them.

Lee

6. Chief_Wannabe

Chief_Wannabe
    from Ozark, MO

An Imperial hould have a 413 motor if it is the original. You should be able to find the engine ID stamped on the flat surface of the block, just in front of the intake manifold. It should be something to the effect of R413, RB413, etc.

These cars were built at the pinnacle of gaudiness in Detroit and have some "unique" design features. Overall Imperial production was about 17,700 units, spread over 9 or 10 different Models, so you're probably looking at total production of a given model of between 3-4 thousand at the very most. Some parts will interchange between models, some won't. As stated earlier, completeness will be the key. It will probably have some rust issues, which was an industry-wide problem in the late '50s. Don't let that scare you unless it's a total pile.

Hope you get to bring it home. You'll definitely be the only one on your block with one. Take some pix and keep us posted.

7. halem23

halem23

I am going to go check it out tomorrow night. Hopefully it is how he describes it to be. Definately would be something you dont see everyday.

8. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Those are cool cars! These guys are right....should have a 413. 1/1000 chance of a 392 though.

9. halem23

halem23

Let's say it is complete and in "ok" condition... Normal rust, some damage, chrome is there, blah, blah, blah...what are these things worth? I have been so into Caddys in the past years I don't know much about these cars. Are we talking $500 for a "project" or are they unique enough for the $5,000 project status?

10. Just a FWIW: There really is no "Chrysler Imperial" as they were two different makes at that time period. You had your Chryslers, and you had your Imperials. Totally different cars. Nothing but the driveline interchanges.

Chryslers are fair normal styling exercises.
    Imperials are out there: separate headlights and tailights, meaning separate from the body (nearly)!!
    A kind of roll bar effect over the backlight, often contrasting color, was featured on all.
    Three series, all trim modifications: Custom, Crown and LeBaron. two doors are all hardtops, 4 doors pillared and hardtop. If it's a convertible, just give him your money and grab it NOW!! Doesn't matter condition. They are that rare. There is a Crown Imperial, it's a 9 passenger sedan or limo. Those are rarer than a sober Breeder...
    99% were power everything, PS, PB standard.
    Oh, and chrome?? There is enough to do 2 1958 Buick Limiteds...
    Forget the 392, that was the 1958 Imperial engine, which looks so much alike, it causes confusion.

Rare?? 17,262 - 6 passengers built, 7 - 9 passenger
    Cosmo

11. The problem with them is they're expensive to restore, so a less than perfect one isn't going to command big money. '59 is worth more in parts than whole, taillights and grille are big money, trim on them is only valuable if it's in excellent shape. Swivel seats if it should have them are also a big money item. $500 is probably lowball unless it's a dead rotty carcass, though.

12. krazydeuce

krazydeuce
    from Hawaii

Look for a swivel bench seat. A cool piece for any custom. I was told they were an option in '59 thru '61. Kind of rare, I saw a split bench sell for close to $2K about a year ago. Good luck!

13. Chief_Wannabe

Chief_Wannabe
    from Ozark, MO

I would think $3-$5K would be in the money, for a 2 door hardtop project, depending of course on completeness and condition. Less for a 4-door. The thing you have going for you right now is the economy, as prices of pretty much everything are way down now. Plus, how many times have you seen somebody tired of a stalled project (or more likely the wife) and low-ball a car just to get rid of it. It's a great time to be a buyer and there are a lot of deals out there now is you shop agressively. Take cash, the biggest car hauler you can get your hands, on and bring it home.

BTW - If you were into Caddy's, the tailights on these things will give you some flashbacks.

14. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

a friend of mine here has a 4 door hardtop South Hampton

15. halem23

halem23

I believe this is car is a 4 door, not sure if it is a post model or not. He is asking $2,000 for it, so we'll see what shape it is in. Thank you guys for all the info.

16. 61TBird

61TBird

Even if you don't get it....POST PICS!!! :D:D:D

17. k9racer

k9racer

If you want it buy it before the demo derby guys find out its for sale. many have been used up in derbys.. on a side note many imperals had posi 8 3/4 rears..as per myencylopedia of american cars in 59 imperal had the engines413 S-all exc Crown imperal.. v8 392 S Crown imperal all 57 and 58 had 392,the 61 thru 65 413 cid, 66 thru 75 440 and I now add 55 331, 56 had 354.. and if anybody gives a flip the 1981 82 83 fuel injected imperals had 318 cuin engines.. aand the last info is only 7 crown imperals were built in 58..

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  18. imperial

imperial

I have a 1857 imperial.
    2000 $ sounds like a parts car to me.
    All mecanical parts are not to hard to find , but body parts are almost not to find.
    Most likely the chromed aluminium parts will be in not to good condition,
    You can not get them new or reproduction.
    The taillights are hard to get if you want NOS but there is a guy in australia that makes reproductions .
    It are great drivers the front torsion suspension helps a lot in handeling.
    And are fast enough ( at least my 57 with the 392 ) to make some of those ricer boy's sick.
    I did a little bit of engine work and got around 130 MPH out of it
    Most people don't expect that from a 50's car the sice of a aircraft carrier.
    But wat do you want to do with it ?
    Restore or custom ?

19. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

That's a car you've got to be COMMITTED to, or it'll never be finished under your ownership. It's no coincidence that christine is a 50s mopar.

20. If the trim is bad, shave it.... if the glass is bad Id walk for sure.

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check for rust over and around the headlights. Almost all of the 57/59 Mopars I have seen that have had serious use end up rusted pretty bad in that area. I'd agree on the glass. If it isn't there and in good shape it will cost more for glass then the car did.

I used to drive a Crown Imperial 4 door ht about that year that belonged to a friend back in the late sixties quite a bit and they are a hell of a road car if they are in good shape. Engine and trans wise I think I'd just find a 440 and torqueflite out of a later Chrysler product and stick them in unless the engine was an easy fix.

22. imperial

imperial

The glass is not the hardest part.
    Windshields are the same from 57 to 62.
    A bigger problem are the windshield rubbers, they are hard to get
    Kanter auto products is $$$ but has parts for the imperial

23. halem23

halem23

So I went to check out the car...pretty beat up. From what I can tell it is the Custom 4 door hard top (no post) model. It does not have the simulated wheel on the trunk lid, no swivel seat, missing the hub caps and one tail light, interior completely shot...The body is fairly straight, all the chrome is there, the bumpers are in super condition, all glass is good except cracked windshield, has the junk 413 motor in it... Basically I think it's a parts car. He wanted $2K, I told him $300, he came down to $800 but I still walked away. I just don't want to have to deal with parting this thing out, that is unless there is good money in it. Without the swivel seat and good tail lights I'm not sure it would be a wise purchase....what do you guys think?

24. second_time_around

second_time_around
    from Ohio

when you go look at the Chrysler I'll tell you what to look for , Look for a 32 ford coupe or perhaps a 23 T ... lol sorry just had to say it

25. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Let it go.....and 413's are not bad motors:)

26. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Find the right buyer, the bumpers might pay for the car. But parting cars out isn't for everyone. Let it simmer for a week and see what happens.

27. Labold

Labold

...so you're telling me there's a chance. :D

28. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I'll go to hell on a tortilla chip for my part in the derbyfication of those in the 80's.

29. Chief_Wannabe

Chief_Wannabe
    from Ozark, MO

I think it could be a money maker too, if you're not interested in driving it. Parting it out would out would certainly be better than going straight to the crusher. There area a lot of parts that I think would be in demand. There rear bumpers are pretty cool and would make a really nice touch on somebody's custom. You could always cut off the rear clip, section it and make one of those finned quarter-panel roadsters that seem to be popular. Check out the Imperial club's classified section and see if there is any money in parts and what parts are in demand. Sell off the desieable stuff, and at about 4700 lbs., you'll still get a handfull of cash at the srap yard.

30. 49coupe

49coupe

"I think it could be a money maker too, if you're not interested in driving it."

I agree. The grille alone is almost worth what he's asking for the car. Look on the auction site. Some guy wants $1400 for a mint grille plus crating costs. I think he's dreaming at that price, but I wouldn't sell mine for less than $650-700 IF it was for sale. I bought mine 6-7 years ago and I've seen 2 for sale since in worse condition.

Even if I don't want to waste my time parting the whole car out, I'd sell the grille (min. $500 unless it's damaged), tail lights, trim, etc. and sell the rest to a Imperial restorer. Even those wheel disks bring good money.

Just a thought.