Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP!!! 4door hot rod?! yeah or neah?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JoeMan, Jan 18, 2010.

1. JoeMan

JoeMan

So I've got a '39 Chevy MasterDeluxe Sedan with 4 doors that I got for a song last year. Has a camaro subframe and has already been chopped (my guess is 3"). Planned on rat roddin' it, but in the mean time ran across the ideal '29 Model A for that, so now I want to do the Chevy nice. So, short story long, can I get away with a 4 door hot rod or should I make it a 2 door???:confused: They're suicide doors, which is the only reason imho, it would be ok. I think it would be fairly do-able to turn it into a 2 door, but would be fine with 4 if "the look" (big wheels, raked, street rod vibe) could still be pulled off. If a 2 door, how would you go about it? I think sectioning the rear door into the middle of the front and using the front edge on the quarter. I know it's more than a saturday project, but again, more than possible. I can post pix when I get home if you would like a reference shot. Your opinion would be appreciated

2. ocfab

ocfab

nothing wrong with a 4 door[​IMG]

3. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Nothing wrong with a '39 Chevy all-door. They make nice rods.
    One bit of advice though...here on the HAMB, "rat rod" is worse than a 4-letter word.

4. John Denich

John Denich

Holy Cow...do not turn that car into a two door and don't Ratrod it...did you say Big Wheels and Street Rod.....Just build it put some white walls and steelies and caps and drive it!

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rat Rod? Hmmm, sure youre in the right place?

Nothing wrong with a more door.

Doc.

6. There are a bunch of guys here with 4 door hot rods,,nothing wrong with them in my opinion.

[​IMG]

You will recieve a post from James Maxwell telling you not to do it,,,he shows up at all the 4 door questions spreading his dislike for them. HRP

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  7. 73super

73super

I see more and more 4 doors being hot-rodded out. Seem to see more and more.

8. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

JOE...BUDDY. please don't use the R word here! it's like pouring gas on my ass! HA! and there's nothing wrong with a 4 door rod. i appreciate you saving that old huppy from the crusher. so GET-ER-DONE...POP.

9. chilly1

chilly1
    from Tacoma,Wa

You can make a more a rod. I like mine.
    [​IMG]

10. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

JOE...I just saw your pic. of that old huppy. man if you cut that old car up in any form, i'll NUKE your freeking house! HA!...POP.

11. Jims35

Jims35

I think four doors are just fine.

Attached Files:

12. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

As long as you chop the piss out of it you'll be O.K.

13. freebird101

freebird101

four doors are cool

14. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Guys, I have a four door '41 (of course) Ford. It is a Super Deluxe with all the trim around the windows. It is going to have 292 Ford V-8 adapted to a '39 Merc closed drive boxwith T-Bird valve covers, 3 deuce aluminum intake. Probably will have fenderwell headers. Dropped front axle and reversed springs all the way around. The newest part is the motor. I think it will be pretty cool. The dash will be out of a '54 Ford car. Oh, almost forgot a louvered hood discivoered at an abandoned mine sight. It will have one bullet hole lovingly preserved. Don't ask why, just going to do it.

15. Dare to be different and keep the more door!! And p... p...pwease mister, don't cut that beautiful lady to pieces!!

16. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

heck yes, rod the heck out of it. Please keep us posted

17. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Wow. What has the HAMB come to? Post 16 and no one has said "it's your car build what you want" yet?

My opinion means nothing. That being said, I don't like 4 doors. I'd spend the effort on a 2 door...

18. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

4 doors are where life happened. And suicide to boot?! heck. drive it. I prefer more door because the seat hinge is a weak point. I bent one in a 62 Plymouth at the drive in once. Dont ask how.

19. JOEMAN,
    I kind of fell into your same shoes a few years back, although I was initially searching for a car that would be "family trip" friendly (always had 2 door drag cars and street cars). I picked up my '39 more door Mopar for a hell of a steal that just screamed to be an expression of my abilities.
    Yeah, I too second guessed my purchase, but by playing with some photoshop tools, and searching out other more door projects on the web and at car shows, I found it could be "Bad Ass" worthy while still enabling it to keep the entire family involved with the rodding scene (weekend event or even just for an ice cream run during the week).
    My biggest job, IMO, is keeping it from looking like a limo.:eek:

20. nutajunka

nutajunka

If you got the time and talent, whack it...:p

21. why not build a clean bomba out of it? you don't need to mess with the extra effort and bS trying to conver it to a 2 door and you will have a bitchen car...

22. russnunn

russnunn
    from Florida

I am buildimg a 53 chevy more door hot rod I love my four door I dont have to get out to drop the kids off some where

23. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I think you can get the idea from what has been posted so far that a 4dr, when done right is just as bitchin as a 2dr. From my younger days I never thought about a 4dr., then I saw a '40 standard 4dr dropped on the ground, steelies w/caps and rings and a awesome green paint job that turned my knees weak. Ever since I've had my eye out for just the right candidate. On the plus side you can find a 4dr that is just about perfect sheetmetal wise 100 times faster than a 2dr model. That alone saves hours and $$$'s on a build.

Frank

24. John Denich

John Denich

I want a Duece 4 door so bad!!!! There is a guy in my club that has a 39 Chevy 4 door that is crazy nice!!!! Yes they can be done well! I think the problem is that most people that build them got into the habit of painting them flat black and making them look like shit! they can be nice.

25. The_Monster

The_Monster

So heres my most recent rod, and Im looking for a 53-54 chevy four door for my daily as we speak. This is a 1927 Dodge four door. These pics are showin it mocked up with a 6" clearance and no chop, suicide.

You asked for opinions, so heres mine...

My thoughts on 4 doors and what to do with them:

If you own one and love it... build it, drive it!
    If you own one and hate it... sell it, buy what you want.
    If you dont like 4 doors, dont buy one in the first place just cause it was cheap and try to turn it into something its not so that others may see it as "cooler".

There arent enough guys runnin 4 doors, in my opinion. If you want to be different, dont be afraid of breaking away from the main stream and doing what you like.

Now, all that being said, I just sold my Dodge last week. It wasnt because I hate four doors... actually, it was very hard to see it go. I need a daily right now instead of a full on build and I had to make a hard decision.

I like to be a bit different than most. I think that could be said of any four door car owner who truely loves his car and all of his doors. Theres something refreshing in breaking away from the safety of what people will accept as cool and enjoying doing your own thing, regardless of input from outsiders.

And after youre secure enough with your taste in cars that it shows in the way you build them, youll get alot of people talkin with you at shows because you just "stand out" from the herd. Itll show that you love your car when youre proud to own it, not ashamed of what its not.

Thats my opinion. Once you find out where you stand in all of this, youll develop your own opinion and youll find yourself doin' instead of askin'.

Good luck bro... and yea.... dont get me started on the true definition of "ratrod";) hahaha!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  26. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Everybody I know (personally, in the real world) that ever built a 4 door ended up with a chip on their shoulder about it. And when you talk to them privately without an audience, regret about spending that much time and money on a 4 door was obvious. Even if they love the car personally, they hate that it won't recoup their investment like a 2 door would've. Like or not, the only cars we don't sell are the ones we die with. You ready to die with that 39 chev?

good luck whatever path you choose

27. Weasel

Weasel

Four door hate is sooo 70's....:rolleyes:

28. robleticia

robleticia

I'm down with the more doors!

29. I like my 4 door. Very practical. That being said, building two at can get spendy and will take up lots of time. I've seen too many folks get two and lose interest in both.

Just a thought.

30. I know this is stupid logic, but I think 4 doors are cool up until about 1948. For some reason, after that the styling departments gave up on the family sedans. And, I have seen many 50's 4 doors that I liked. I'm just speaking in general here.