Register now to get rid of these ads!

beater bag filler?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flypa38, Jan 17, 2010.

1. flypa38

flypa38

Hey fellas.....just picked up a beater bag for trying some panel beating. I put some lead shot in it but didn't have enough....can I fill it the rest of the way with play sand?
    Thanks,
    Johnny

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I suppose you can do anything you like to fill it further, but if you intend to make something useful for a project, why not do it right from the start? I am assuming, of course, that lead shot is available at your local sporting goods stores. If lead is too expensive, what about steel shot?

Ray

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  3. nofin

nofin
    from australia

the sand will fill the gaps between the shot and stop them from moving, this will mean that you can't get deep shapes from the bag, be like trying to hammer on hard packed dirt. Go out and get some more shot, if you're hand building panels then you're obviously not in a hurry

4. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

I heard about using BB's once. Is lead shot too soft so after lots of use it wouldn't hold its shape anymore? Steel shot or BB's I thought would work better and last longer.

5. BarryA

BarryA

I just use regular sand in mine - been beating on it for a couple years now and no problems. Heard people getting all concerned about silicosis, but really - there's more dust in the air when the wind blows. Lead particles on the other hand.....

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have 2 bags, 1 with steel shot and 1 with sand. The steel shot moves around to get a shape as you're going along. The sand will compact itself and make for solid 'finishing' bag to get the part closer to final planishing. Works for me. I used em on some Chev valance panels and when I got to the sand bag it was like a full surface dolly block. Took a lot of work outta that job.

thechondro likes this.
  7. slik

slik

i too use sand. used the shot in another bag, but like the sand much better. you can still get deep shapes with sand. just hit it harder. the sand moves.
    the other thing i like about sand is you can "slowly" approach the depth of the shape.

8. nofin

nofin
    from australia

I use the shot bag for rough shaping, sandbag for finer shaping. I also use wood blocks carved to shape, and a couple of times a piece of rhinoceros leather I was given. it's about 100 years old and about 1" thick. good for fine work on large flat sections. I only work in soft metals on that one.

9. JKerb

JKerb

I use #9 steel shot. The reason I don't use lead shot is it tends to flatten and stick together after a while. Playground sand or Black Beauty ( Sandblasting sand ) work well.

10. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

I have both lead-shot in one bag and steel-shot in another. Haven't done a sand filled bag, maybe this spring? I use the steel-shot bag for my Helve-Hammer. It's a little lighter than the lead filled bag, and I use a lot of different tooling in the Helve. Being lighter helps when changing from the bag to other tools.

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

11. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

I have both lead-shot in one bag and steel-shot in another. Haven't done a sand filled bag, maybe this spring? I use the steel-shot bag for my Helve-Hammer. It's a little lighter than the lead filled bag, and I use a lot of different tooling in the Helve. Being lighter helps when changing from the bag to other tools.

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

12. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Don't wast your time with the sand...... It sucks big time!!! lead shot 100% it moves better and it shapes better, i know because i've done both!

13. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I've had playsand in my bag for years and it works fine.

14. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Well, you answers have been; sand works ok, and lead shot works ok, and steel shot works ok, but nobody really got the question!!! You asked if you could add sand to the shot. I myself would not, but I have never done that. I'm sure it would work, but I'd say either go all shot or all sand. Better yet, fill it the rest of the way with sand and tell us how it works!!!!

15. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I've got sand in mine. I would think a mixture would cause the sand to grind up the shot creating lead dust even faster. Probably not a good idea.

16. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

I started out with shot and added sand to my first bag in the '80s. It is so heavy that it is difficult to move. Sand by itself works just fine. I use low silica sand. Packed pretty tight.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com

17. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

It musy be the sand i used because my bag was so stiff and it didnt move well!!
    Im no pro, but there definitely is a HUGE difference in the way the bag moves with shot vs sand!!:confused:

Sand sucked for me!!

18. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I've got both and the shot definitely allows the metal to move more/faster. I agree that the sand gives a better final result as it harder to over stretch when your going to final shape.

Frank

19. rschilp

rschilp

Someone posted it earlier.

Coarse sand works great, a good source is blasting media, I use aluminum oxide 60 grit and it works great, gets somewhat hard when pounded on but will still take a shape well.

20. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

One thing to consider is cost.
    I just filled an 18" bag with #8 shot it it cost almost $200.00 to fill, sand is cheap.
    The only reason I went with the shot is because it was recommended by Dagger Tools to use it.
    The instructions say if you use sand it will turn to powder over time and will have to be replaced.
    It is my first bag and so far I am impressed with how easy metal moves using.
    I am trying to save some really rough model a fenders and the bag is giving me hope.

21. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    "One thing to consider is cost.
    I just filled an 18" bag with #8 shot it it cost almost $200.00 to fill, sand is cheap".

I'm planning on building a bag and was thinking the same thing, $200 is a lot of money. I'd rather "go pound sand"!
    Buying several large bottles of BB's would be cheaper. Anyone know of a source to buy BB's in bulk, possibly 15-20 lbs in one shot?