Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

That's Dean Riedy from Milan, Ohio. He won the IHRA championship in 1978. That is an SS&DI pic from the AHRA grandnational at D-42 @'76/'77...1964 Comet 289/210. The body was found in Kings Mountain, NC by Billy Crenshaw @1975. You'd have to see it to believe how clean it is. He still has the car today...CB

2. Steve
    Thanks for the updating. I don't know how I overlooked Vinnie. He took over driving my car when Steve Seaman and I split.

Dom

3. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

CB, welcome aboard!

Pete :)

4. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Oh yeah, I sure remember those wild radio ads I used to hear: "Sunday, Sunday, at National Speedway," played on WABC-AM radio in New York City back in the late 1960s and early 70s.

Great memories...

Pete

5. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  6. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Excellent shot, Tom! Thanks for sharing.

Pete

7. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

I remember Tony Festa running a Corvette that had Rotunda's on it. Whether that was the same one I don't know. I'm not sure when they moved but I remember Rotunda's being in the Clifton/Montclair area when he ran the Pro Stock Duster.

8. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Colesy,

CB has a wealth of drag racing history (and knowledge) from the Ohio area and is a great asset to this thread.

I rest my case. :D

He also has a great sense of humor with "Ford blue" running through his veins. CB also is friend and one-time racing partner(?) with Jon Kaase before Jon gained a name for himself wrenching for Dyno Don Nicholson (and beyond).

Pete

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  9. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

That's a great spread, Colsey. It captures the state-of-the-sport as it existed just about three years after my good friend, Ron Mandella, drove off the Milne Brothers, Pasadena Plymouth dealership with a new 426, low-compression, max-wedge station wagon that fit precisely at the top of A/SA and we became hands-on racers. Many of the cars listed as record holders on that list were people we knew and raced against. Several of them were locals; Dave Kempton lived up the street on the southern edge of Arcadia, Chuck Parcell lived near the other end of Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena, Bill Hoefer was sponsored by Danny's Coffee Shop in La Habra and the beat goes on. There has not been a day since that point that I haven't spent at least a part of my time plotting, planning, working on, repairing, or otherwise actively engaged with Stockers. Sort of makes one wonder what could have been accomplished had the same level of intensity and industry been focused on some other endeavor... or perhaps it's better not to assign that sort of conjecture too much significance. Life has been what we have made it. Everyone has to do something and this is many of us chose to do.

10. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

also is friend and one-time racing partner(?) with Jon Kaase before Jon gained a name for himself wrenching for Dyno Don Nicholson (and beyond).

Hey Pete,
    I went to school with Jon. 1st time he went to a drag strip was with me and my Brother and a few of our buddies. I just used to go to the races with him all the time when he ran his Mustang formula stocker in IHRA. Share towing/driving duties, wrench help, etc.. Also was around chipping in when he first got his feet wet building his and Larry Ford's Pro/Stock entry. I used to drive him nuts talking about Jr. Stockers all the time though...lol...even back then...CB

11. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

great stuff posted there Colesy !!! I think the FASTBACKS ('64 Galaxie pic) was a car club Jack Roush was involved with...CB

12. RapidRabbit2

RapidRabbit2
    from WI

hey everybody, newbie here.

I stumbled on this post and thought I would chime in. My Dad raced mainly corvettes in the late 50's early 60's and his car name was Rapid Rabbit.
    Anyone have any info on him?

Here is a picture of him and his car after the 61 nationals in Indianapolis.
    [​IMG]

elgringo71 likes this.
  13. jimdillon

jimdillon

I have heard of the car and not too long ago Roger Sinistri posted a picture of the car. Roger should be able to tell you a little bit about the car. It would be great if somehow we could fill in the blanks-what else do you know of the car and its history?-Jim
    [​IMG]

14. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

here's one you won't see every day. Larry Patrick from Rittman, Ohio's '56 Chevy wagon 1965 NASCAR Junior Stock Eliminator champion. Taken @1967 at Dragway 42...
    Our area was lacking in ANY type of coverage in the "national media" back in those days...Car Craft pretty much covered the West Coast, and SS&DI the East. If you lived around here you didn't see a whole lot of coverage, save for a few Gassers...CB

Attached Files:

15. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

16. Falconred

Falconred

Is it alright if I repost a couple of these over on the FordFE web site? Bobby Spears who is shown as the AA/S record holder is a regular over there and still has his '64 Ford lightweight.

17. Head NED

Head NED
    from York, PA

Fred will be inducted into the Legion of Honor along with Larry Lombardo at the
    York Reunion in July. Darwin Doll

18. Head NED

Head NED
    from York, PA

Fred will be inducted with Larry Lombardo in the Legion of Honor at the York Reunion
    in July. Darwin Doll

19. Head NED

Head NED
    from York, PA

Where are all those Jr. Stockers for York in July?????

20. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

CB,

Speaking of 64 Ford's, I just got off the phone with Tim Bishop and he told me that John Calvert has built at Thunderbolt for Pomona that just squeaks into AA/S. Should be interesting.

21. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

Anybody have a guess as to what the tail lights are from? Maybe a Buick? Almost look like Mercury lights.

22. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

they were probably some kinda cheesy JC Whitney "custom" lenses...lol...not really sure, could be some kind of OEM transplant...I do recall tubing replacement grilles being allowed in the rule book for a while back then...CB

23. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

now THAT'S pretty wild TM...the rules have become so "liberal" it's unreal...it's good for stimulating competition and spectator/sponsor interest though...gotta wonder if FORD has any backdoor help with the project...

24. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Here's another photo of the Corvette at Indy, probably the trophy run.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  25. Hoosier Hurricane

Hoosier Hurricane

My vote on the tail lights is '56 Packard.

John

26. Head NED

Head NED
    from York, PA

Just so everyone knows. You don't have to have a Junior Stocker to be at the York
    Reunion in July you have had to just have been one. There will be a designated
    area for Junior Stockers to meet and greet at the show. An area to share those many
    memories. We will have name tags for those who register with Kevin Beirman at the
    Truppi-Kling booth courtesy of Dom Rinaldi. The bretheran just needs to be there!
    Those with cars just need to pick-up their credentials at registration on Thursday
    and Friday morning. We will keep all Junior Stock entries together and have one heck
    of a weekend. It's where nostalgia isn't just a hobby, it's a passion!

27. 65deluxe

65deluxe

DM.JPG

I talked to Doug Mentzer recently, a proud man with good Christian believes. He is going through some health issues right now so please keep him and his family in your prayers.
    Doug

28. RapidRabbit2

RapidRabbit2
    from WI

Not sure if this is the same car? I don't know a lot of the history after my dad sold his. His name was Richard "Dick" Hare. All I do know is that the car was a 61 and it was blue and white. I only have 2 remaining pictures of it. The one I posted was at the 61 nationals. The other is my avatar, but I don't know where it was taken. He mostly raced on the east coast.

29. RapidRabbit2

RapidRabbit2
    from WI

Thanks, can you tell me where you found that picture? I would love to download it. I don't have too many pictures of his car and that is definitely his car.

30. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

Man this is the motherload of all Cragar S/S picture threads! And I'm only up to page 20...