Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wheel Vintiques vs Rally America chrome steelies-your choice?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al K, Jan 14, 2010.

1. So,I finally figured out where I'm going with the wheels on the Sport Fury. After much deliberation,I'm getting chrome steelies front and rear. I had thought about Torq-Thrust variations,but they tend to be common on so many B-bodies,and even Cragar S/S(hey,it is a Sport Fury;it needs a little "flash") wheels. The chrome steel pieces are flashy enough and properly old scho...traditional-at least for this car.

My question:
    On another thread,some folks mentioned problems with some W.V units,beyond cap fitment;serious stuff like runout issues and such. Rally America offers what look to be the same wheels(series 64),at a slightly higher price than,let's say, what Summit wants for the W.V.'s. Price isn't the issue;are the R.A. pieces the same as W.V. pieces? And...which would you choose? How is the chrome quality from one brand to the next? ANY help/advice/etc. is appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  2. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Go with Rally America, I just picked up a set of chrome steelies, spyder rings and push through caps and they look outstanding. With your Alliance Membership you get a break, plus there "Original" wheels I believe not some cheap wheel made to look like old wheels. Give Jimmy a call over at Rally America he'll set the record straight.

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Jimmy definately.....because he is cool!!

4. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll second Rally America--Jimmy and Gary are top notch guys to deal with and their products are top quality--my only choice for wheels

5. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

AMEN to Jimmy and Gary.

6. TSEDAN

TSEDAN
    from Fresno,Ca

Ralley America any day.

7. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Last I checked, Rallye America is an Alliance vendor. Wheel Vintiques is not.

I'm just sayin'.....

8. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

9. Great service...great guys .....

10. Do a search for wheel vintiques, then go with Rally America foe the ChrOEMies.

11. walls

walls

i just got a set of rear wheels from wheel vintiques. i wouldn't suggest it. i had them powdercoated black and there are rough edges and imperfections under the powdercoat. they won't take them back. mistake on my part.

12. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

+1 for Rally America. Great product & service. Alliance vendor.

13. Gentlemen;I believe you've convinced me. I'll be contacting R.A this coming week. Now for tires...I know what I want there,but the rear selection is up in the air size-wise. I'm going with Goodyear or Cooper(American-owned and Union-made;important to me);205/75-15 front and either 245/65-15(Goodyear Eagle LS) or 255/70-15(Goodyear Eagle GT or Cooper Cobra) on the rear. Of course,I'll get pics when they're on the S.F.,and we can solicit another round of opinions.

Folks,thanks for the advice;it is really appreciated!

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Not to be jumping on but, I have never bought Vintiques but I have bought Rally America twice and am Very Happy.

15. Big Tony

Big Tony

I' m going through the same dilemma now for wheel for my 30. I called to ask him what the difference was..they use old wheels and put many hours of prep work in them and then do the chroming. After hearing from him I just felt better for one knowing the care and work he puts into the wheels, PLUS the many many people on here who are happy with his prducts, PLUS he is a supoorter and alliance member of the HAMB. I will gladly spen a bit more for a better product which i truly feel he has, PLUS after the HAMB Alliance discount its a lot cheaper and as you can see there are many PLUS' Good luck

16. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

I have been looking at both brands for Artillery wheels. The RA's look nice
    on their site, anbody got them on a car to show?

17. ugotpk

ugotpk

The guys at rallyamerica did a great job for me. They are on my 56 truck.

18. chopt49

chopt49

19. You may want to measure how big you need the center hole to be, Jimmy will make it the right size for Mopar.

20. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

again--save your self some grief--I use only Rally America--have tried the others--forget it--don't want the hassle and problems--Rally is the best--great service and you get the right offset--others don't send what you ask for regarding offset-Jimmy and Gary do-I will never go elsewhere for steel or chrome wheels

21. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Wheel Vintiques all the way ,,these have been on my daily driver for the last 6 years ,,they are 5 X 15 fronts ,,15 X 15 rears ,,chrome wheels with painted centers ,,the chrome is very excellent ,no flakes or discoloration ,,,great folks to deal with and the price and shipping was great ,!!
    and i drive this thing rain ,snow ,ice ,,hot orcold ,,since i live in a R V full time ,,i have No shop / garage ,,the button caps came from em too ,,
    [​IMG]t

22. Damn;I forgot I even started this thread. I blame the 1970's...and the 1980's...and some of the 1990's.

What we got is 15X5 and 15X8 steelies from RA. My problem now(and I PMed Wheelkid about this) is that the rear wheels from RA have a 4-1/4" backspacing. No clearance issues with springs and such,but the tires(they're 255-70's) are going to hit the curved inner part at the top of the wheelhouse about 3 inches down from the tread,on the sidewall. ARRRGGGHHHHH! I asked about getting a set of 15X8s with 5" b.s.-it's a helluva lot cheaper than converting an A-body axle to a B-body. Plus,I just rebuilt an entire rear axle that's in there now-ain't doing that again;I've got other issues to deal with.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also found out that the springs I got from McVeighs DIDN'T raise the car as I had thought. Supposed to lift it an inch;when I took her off the stands(which she's back up on due to other shit...) I knew that the RA wheel and big tires would never fit(yes I measured-but I screwed up) with the current offset. I know a tire that size will fit;similar to the old 10-inchers from days gone by. Now,there's a set of S/S springs and hangers sitting on the counter in the garage...hmmm;might have to install them. After seeing pics of Lindamood's '64 Dodge and how low it sat compared to other S/S cars of that time;I like that look as well.

Those wheels and tires were meant to go on the car when she would go down the road reliably. I've run into so many issues that the seller was far less-than-truthful about that she might not even see the road this year. That @#$%&*@ sucks,BIG time. Without naming names-yet,on the advice of my lawyer-I will say that there's a couple of folks in the Toledo,OH area that you want to stay the @#$% away from if you're car shopping. I got burned-there,I'll say it-and I truly want to save someone else from getting burned by these parties as well. -Al

PS-RA's stuff is flat-out TITTIES! Highly recommended-check the pics. I should have dropped the extra coin and had the lug nut area polished,but everyone who has seen them has been on my ass about getting them on the car and showing them off. In due time...