Register now to get rid of these ads!

model A's more popular than 32's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrap metal 48, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

As more of a kustom guy,I guess I fall into this category,but I don't take any pride in it.I just like kool,well excecuted Hot Rods regardless of what model or make it started out as,and as I'll never be fortunate enough to own or build or even get in one,I don't feel the "need to know" the subtle differences in the 'base' cars.It's the end result that I appreciate.Perhaps I should clarify that my interest is more late '50's early '60's when it comes to rods,and I guess guys were fuckin' around with their car bodies more by then.Or maybe I'm just to stupid to get my head around the differences.Yeah,that's probably it
    Paul

2. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

The 32 has been and will continue to be the hot rod icon due to both aesthetic and historic reasons. It's a great looking milestone car.
    But the law of supply and demand prevails. Millions of Model A's were built over a 4 year period and many have survived, hence they are way cheaper than a 32.
    In my opinion they both have equal potential as hot rods. It's like some people prefer blondes and some like brunettes. :)

Model T1 likes this.
  3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Yes ... and I used to own that 40 coupe in the background :eek:

4. I like the way you think...

5. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

First let me say I own a 32 Sedan. Ok got that out of the way. I've owned a A tudor and a 37 tudor. My wife and I went to car show for years looking at T's,. A's, and deuces. We decided that we liked the deuce the best. Just for the overall design, not just because it was a deuce.
    Second, no, I did not do all the work on my car. I don't do my own dentistry, either. I "know" that I'm not a gold chainer either or it wouldn't have taken me 10+years to build my car. As far as being in a clique, I don't think so. Do I like being around guys that have 32, hell yes. Every time I see a bunch of Corvette guys do I think,"Boy there is a clique!" Nope just a bunch of Corvette guys. Just like Tri 5 guys, clique, nope.
    I think a lot of this goes back to the innovations that were first brought out on the 32, ie, V8.
    The sedan I have was in Hemmings for over 6 months. When I called and asked about the car, I ask why it had not sold before. The seller asked said as soon as peolple found out it was a "B" they hung up. Got me.
    It's what I have, I love it and I'll keep it until I can't drive it anymore. But I'm not a snob.

Model T1 likes this.
  6. thequietwon

thequietwon

I just had a kind of morbid thought, & since I have a very odd sense of humour, I'm going to share it. After looking through this thread & others similiar to it, the A seems to be the preferred car of the young, and the 32 seems to be the preferred car of the older. Alot of these A guys seem to not like 32's at all...and seem to hate everything that the deuce represents. If this is the case, as the older deuce owners die out, who will want to own them? Surely not the currrently young generation that has such disdain for 32's.,,
    However, I myself fly in the face of this theory since I am 33. Just in case, though, maybe I oughta be setting aside a little extra for when these 32's are worthless...

Model T1 likes this.
  7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I believe a LOT of the Model A guys say that they dislike Deuces because they do not/can not have one. Sort of like the great looking Blonde cheer leader in high school. A lot of guys said she was a Bitch or something to put her down when in reality ... they would have LOVED to be her boy friend ... but knew that was NOT happening :D

volvobrynk and Model T1 like this.
  8. Tank

Tank

All this being said, Im 25 and yes I have an A coupe. Its completely apart but I have it. Someday I will have a Deuce something. All those Deuces the old guys have will have to move along someday. We don't live forever.

volvobrynk and Model T1 like this.
  9. People build A's to look like 32's, but no one builds 32's to look like A's. Love em or hate em a Deuce is a Deuce and always will be the most prefered hot rod. I would like to see a lot of you guys given a choice between a 1932 Ford and a Model A Ford and see which one you REALLY choose.

As for me? I just like any old Ford period.

Model T1 likes this.
  10. TERPU

TERPU

Well, A's because they are cheaper, tons more available and look meaner typically when hot rodded. Also because there are so many variations and tons left to ruin as good Hot Rodders should. But if a '32 Tudor Sedan with 'Brands and a Chrysler don't get you going you are already dead. Yes, I am very much a Sedan person. Roadsters I will always take a '28-'29 over a '32 anyday. I'd sell a '32 Roadster if I had one and buy four models of the first A. Roadster, Tudor Sedan, RPU, and Touring. '32 roadsters seem to be a bit overdone and everywhere. But the Fordors, Tudors, and Tourings would all be keepers for me. 'Course there's always the '29 on Duece rails............

Now a '33 Tudor fenderless in black with a mild chop that's a whole nuther story!

Thank you for letting me dream a little,

Tim

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
    Model T1 likes this.
  11. The real reason the deuce became the icon it is has nothing to do with how it looks and everything to do with what's under the hood. Over time and the one year only exclusivity created supply and demand issues driving up the price. I'm an old guy and can afford either and prefer the A (except as I said earlier for a 3W). In addition to my earlier comments as to why, I think the cookie cutter, Boyd Coddingtonization of the deuce has tarnished it's reputation for me somewhat. That's why I like the HAMB so much because you don't see that shit here. The deuce is and always will be the king, I just prefer the A.

Model T1 likes this.
  12. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I guess I have the best of both worlds...the only deuce with a visor...a '32 truck.:rolleyes:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

I love my A. I got it because I can afford it. I could go build a modern tech deuce, but I wanted a REAL old car. Real A's are way more affordable for a young guy with a new family than a Real deuce.

Model T1 likes this.
  14. jpbanjo

jpbanjo
    Member Emeritus
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Guys, the thing to remember is why '32's were so popular back then. The name of thae game was go fast for no money. Hopped up Model A's were "kool" if that's all you had to work with but were hell to put a V8 in. It could be done but the olnly practical swap in those days was a V8-60 and then you had to go to hairpins and shorten the rear end.

15. jpbanjo

jpbanjo
    Member Emeritus
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Opps, I hit send before I finished. Anyway in those days when 32 coupes and sedans were still on the street and in salvage yards for the same money as a Model A you could drop a 24 stud flathead in a 32 by just pulling the hood and bolt on hydraulics and you were ready to race. In my opinion, thats why '32's became the wheels of choice and not necesasarily because of the styling.

Model T1 likes this.
  16. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

I love an A............on Deuce rails!

17. Racerex

Racerex

Well, I think the model a's are more popular just because they made them for four years, as opposed to the model b's, which were only made in '32

18. 5window

5window

Unless you count 1904,1933 and 1934. :)

19. ewf

ewf
    from fl

I pick a 28-29 or a 30-31 A over a 32 the 32's have a broader door area I think a choped A looks more in proportion to my eyes.

20. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

hehe...I'll bet $$$ if some of these A guys were to find a deuce whatever in a barn for cheap money, and bought it, the first thing they'd do is come on here and say "Lookey what I found"!...and then they'd build it...

21. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

You have the words ... " popular " and " plentiful " ... confused.

I believe you are very CORRECT Larry :D

Sort of like the Harley Davidson thing. 12 to 15 years ago, I had a Harley ( still do ) ... and a knew a LOT of guys who had bought new metric cruisers ( Hondas, Yamahas and such that were built to resemble Harleys ) ... and they all said they preferred their JAP bikes over a Harley. Now most of them have Harleys and would not ever tell anyone they rode JAP Crusiers " back in the day " .

Model T1 likes this.
  22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

very true Larry..but there are 2 words in your sentance that just dont go together.."Cheap" and "Deuce"

its kinda like an oxymoron..like jumbo shrimp..or smart government..things like that for example:D

"cheap" is a very relitive term..not one usually associated with a 32 ford any model

and if you do score one "reasonably"...there comes the cost of building a 32 right.
    because of their standing in the hot rod world..any one that has respect for that would not cobble one together cheaply, or try to fool themselves with a budget build on one.

just my 2 cents..for those who get it

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  23. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

When I see an "A" I see steel. I've never seen a glass "A" but am aware that Bruiser in Arizona pops them.

Not to slight anyone, but when I see a '32 I initially see glass. How many '32's are on the road now compared to how many Henry produced? More glass than steel?

Then there's the question of '33-'34 Fords. With the glass bodies and fenders as well as the other components costing about the same as a '32, why then do they sell for so much more? It's like the price gets higher with glass cars in direct proportion to the steel ones of the same year. WTF?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
    Model T1 likes this.
  24. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Chris,
    Agreed...

25. swissmike

swissmike

Are ugly chicks more popular than supermodels? -must be, because I see much more ugly chicks than supermodels.

Model T1 likes this.
  26. The reason you see glass is because a lot of folks want a 32 but don't won't to pay the insane prices,,or can't do body work,,or want instant gratification,,but they want a 32,,it's a case of supply and demand.

Look at some of the rough old 32 guys right here on the Hamb are saving,,they could find a model A much cheaper that the rusty hulk they bought,,again,,they want a 32,,,personally,they are my favorite,,but I have owned a few A's,,nothing wrong with them.

Build what you want and don't worry about what the next guy is doing. HRP

Model T1 likes this.
  27. ROADSTERJEFF

ROADSTERJEFF

I always liked the 30/31 Model-A the best! I think they only made 32's for nine months and a lot less of them in New York.

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Hah! I truth I know all to well. Well actually I have not yet saved mine but mentally I have.

29. breakdown

breakdown

Both model As and 32s can be done cool, but it is the little refinements that deuces have like the firewall, dash, grill, and curved roof that make deuces nicer.

30. Gigantor

Gigantor

word.