Register now to get rid of these ads!

how did you find your classic car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by full foot notch, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Lol I will, Im sure this spring I'll be starting threads asking for advice, however I realized when i went to show the guys on another car site i frequent that i only took video, no pics. Seeing as its cold,and i dont feel like push the Morris outta the shed, Ill take em in a couple months. I was sure happy to see the car hadnt sold, then my dad told me it was a unibody. I checked, and sure enough it was. Oh well, I get a chance to build a frame, so its not that bad. First thought (and dont ban me for this) was to put an SR20DET in it. Its a 2.0 turbo outta the nissan silviz in japan. Lightweight and powerful. THen i thought, hey, if i gotta build a frame, may as well put some displacement in the damn thing.

2. My first hot rod was a 40 Olds coupe that I walked bye at least a hundred times. It was sitting under a tree in a yard beside a local wrecking yard.I asked about it one day and was told it was not for sale. Then one day out of the blue I get a call from the guy who owned the coupe, says there is a boat he wants for $650.00 so that was how much he would take for the coupe. Needless to say it was mine by the end of the week. My 57 is another story...I was supposed to buy a 55 but saw the 57 in a local shopper magazine. Gave the guy a call,met him the next day and left a deposit.Went back with a tilt n load the next day and here it sits.I still want a 55.....

3. nutajunka

nutajunka

Bought and sold so many it would take to long to type. Current build is a ground up.

4. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I found mine on the last day of Hershey after walking around with a lot of money .Then I saw the body sitting on top of a truck .At a vendor I passed before . I spend days at fall Hershey and check everything out twice and still miss stuff .Im talking about fall .I want to hit the spring Hershey but I don't know the date of yet.That was 2 years ago .

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

1)Across the street 2) Told by an in law 3)Freind ask if i wanted to buy 4)Some person asked if was interested in another car 5)Just given to me twice

6. Big Tony

Big Tony

My first was found right cheer on the HAMB and one thing you can count on here is 99.9% of the people are good as gold. If its out of town, try to find someone else in that town to check it out or take a road trip. The car i'm currently biulding a friend found on craiglist and was about a mile from my house. Get to know peole on here and in your area and when your ready... you won't find a dang thing, but stay patient and you will find just the car for you...don't settle just to get something.. be patient

7. HARD EDDY

HARD EDDY

found my car body at a swapmeet . i ended up trading a 1953 schwinn tank bike for it. the car is a 1931 chevy 3 window coupe it is my avitar.

8. fbama73

fbama73

found it on fleaBay. Went to look at it while the auction was still going on. Watched the auction very closely, and the car got no bids. Made an offer to the seller after the auction, and picked it up a few days later.

9. melsfine39

melsfine39

I had a Dunebuggy that I sold for $1600 and was looking for a pre-48 to streetrod. I went to get gas in my van one day and the street was blocked so, I went down to the next thru street and there sitting on the corner in this CB store was this 39 Chevy that looked like it was just pulled out of the barn.
    I thought man that looks pretty good, bet they want more than I have and went right by it and got gas for the van. On the way back I stopped and looked at the car. While I was there a car pulled up and the guy says "thats my car if your interested", "I said what do want for it" he said "$1600!" I heard the angels sing, I told him" I'll take it!!" He just looked at me really strange!. I said" serious $1600 I'll buy it!!". That was 20 years ago I still have the car!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  10. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

On the HAMB.
    That's why I ante up $50.

11. outlaw56

outlaw56
    from Hines, MN

My Dad. First was a 56 chev 2drpost that i thought was as ugly as a box until i worked on it and drove it--ibought it from him when i was in the service. turned out to be my daily driver until i moved to salt and snow. Then i bought a 59 willys P/u from him. PRETTY COOL DAD HUH?

12. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

MY latest one was on a farm in a field along a fence line (my avatar pic):D

13. 55chevr

55chevr

Found the 46 Dodge Pickup along the road with a for sale sign in rural Massachusetts. I traded the Dodge for the 55 Chevy from a guy that needed a pick up for his business ... The 31 Ford Coupe body I found on the HAMB ...

14. Mine wasn't a classic when I bought it 41 years ago. 1956 Ford, bought it when in high school in '69. I was at least the 3rd or 4th owner of it. And will be the last owner till I croak and the kids get it :)

15. Found the 23 Dodge in a frends back yard, the 49 Dodge under a juniper tree, bought the 59 Ranchero from a guy that went broke, The 57 Cadillac from a guy whos wife was bidding drunk at silvers auction in Reno, the 56 Ford wagon and the 66 Galaxie from an impound auction in Portland, got a tip on the 29 Studabaker at the local parts house, and the rest found me.