Register now to get rid of these ads!

Full Radical Custom 65 C10 bed?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by muddpile, Jan 15, 2010.

1. muddpile

muddpile
    from Canada

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Every time I walk into my shop, I cringe.... I see the 65 C10 Disaster sitting there, the most extreme street-driven truck that I may possibly ever own. Beside it, sits the bed...... STOCK! BONE STOCK! Well, not really but close. The bedsides are 100% stock, the inside is smoothed flat with 18ga and trailer fenders, the bed has DelRay tails and louvers, but that's it, it still looks too, "Truck-ish".

I look at the pink freak, the greatest idea of great ideas, fins. Something wild and crazy like that would be great, but I need an idea, anybody have one? The catch is I can't unibody it, as the bed still has to come off (tires only come off that way...) If anyone has anything at all, the wilder the better, that would be so sweet.

2. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

i dont understand wtf your saying.

is there a question in there somewhere?

3. muddpile

muddpile
    from Canada

You betcha, I'm looking for some ideas/inspiration to make the back end of the 65 C10 less truck-like. It's pretty straight and square on the sides, and virtually flat on the back, where it could look better, I'm just not 100% on how. I'm sure others have customized these trucks, so pics would be great.

4. sensor

sensor

weld the tail gate shut and line it with plastic sheeting and you can have a mobile swimming pool:rolleyes:

5. chevyshack

chevyshack

Make it look like the rear of a nomad with fins. Or a 57 chevy belair. How about stretching the bottom rear tailgate section and rounding it off leaning it forward? It"ll be aero dynamic and look fast standing still.

6. NJRATRODER

NJRATRODER
    from NJ

i have seen wher guys have welded the bed to the body filled to smothed out or you can barn door the tail gate change out the fenders for some 40's styel like on the dimond t build that is on the main borad

7. chevyshack

chevyshack

Split the bed right down the center and hinge it so it lifts like lambo doors. You can get your wheels off easier too.

8. chevyshack

chevyshack

How about a tilt front end and rear? The bed can dump one way and the front end will tilt the other way.

9. There was a guy at the Hunnert car pileup this year that took the top section of a bedside welded it to to the back and continued the bodylines around the back of the truck. I've been looking for Ideas also, I have a 65 chevy shortbox that I'm supposed to finish for a guy this year and somebody completely smoothed the whole rear of this truck. looks like a damn billboard back there. The build is lookin' good though, you've come a long way with that thing, keep up the good work.

10. kool1

kool1

You guys need to know that this trucks bed area is filled with a 455 cu in dual 4s Olds motor with Toronado transaxle truck sits just inches off the ground a really wild custom.

11. It's a truck, how do you make it not look like one?

61-66 Chevys really aren't made for fins, the lines don't flow very well. That pink freak is an exception because it uses the '61 Chrysler fin that starts in the middle of the doors and has a natural cap to it. Outside of that, it's too flat and even. I suppose you could round it off in the back or make the upper body section flow into something like '59 Pontiac V-fins, but it's still going to look like a truck.

12. I don't want to sound like a jerk, but unless I have missed something on your previous threads the truck is fairly stock looking all together - except the motor in the bed, right?
    Have I missed some updates? Last I remember it looked like a mid 60s shorty.

If you do something radical to the bed it's going to look funny with a stock cab and front clip - IMO.

13. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I've got a crazy idea different than anything I've seen. I mean if you're really ready to change the way the rear of the truck looks. Ready?

Wait for it.............

Put the engine in the bed.

:D

14. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

OK, sooo you call this truck the 'Pink Freak'?

It's not Pink.
    It's pretty much stock looking, with the engine in the bed.
    I'm not seeing the 'Freak' part, or the pink part either for that matter!
    Are you refering to something else as 'Pink Freak'?! If so! I don't need a clearification! TMI!

All joking aside, there are some fairly pronounced bodylines on that truck. I'd be looking for similar lines on non-trucks. You might want to consider using either the front or rear section of a large car. The front sheetmetal would allow you to retain axcess via the hood, you just have to turn the entire front-clip around and mount it backwards.
    A rear clip could work too, just got to find some similar bodylines and modify to flow together.
    I think you'd better get real good at visualizing, and metal work!

Donor cars that might work, Late 50's-early 60's cars with fins! You might have to reposition the fins to align with the trucks lines or modify the trucks lines to work with the other body, or both!
    You might want to consider puting a slow rotational twist in the body line, starting at the front edge of the doors and transitioning into the other donor's bodylines?
    Then you could legitimately call it 'Freak'!
    Then all you lack is the 'Pink' part! Ha

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith
    !