Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Screws, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Screws

Screws
    from Baltimore

While rewiring my '65 C10 yesterday, ran across this cable hanging loose over top of the transmission. see the below pics- I know they're not that great, but the first shows the area where the cable goes into the tranny and the other shows the cable's end with a connector on it. The transmission is a not-stock automatic if that helps.

Thanks for your help.

-Screws

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Throttle kickdown cable. Very important to connect and adjust right!
    If that's a 700R4, STOP DRIVING IT and FIX IT NOW! You'll kill it fast

3. Screws

Screws
    from Baltimore

Thank you for ID-ing it. Where does it connect and how do I adjust it? It's been running loose (I assume) since I bought the thing in July!

4. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

Looks like a TH 350 by the photo...

You need this bracket that bolts on the intake manifold, the cable housing will "snap" into the bracket, and the cable end will connect to the carb...

For reference... There are many aftermarket options as well
    [​IMG]

5. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

If its a turbo 350 you can run forever with it disconeected without hurting anything. The only thing it will do is when you kick it in the nuts it won't downshift. There is no button and ratchet on the end of that cable and 700's don't have a slot in the cable end, just a clip.

I'll bet the majority of cars I have bought over the years with aftermarket intakes the cable was right where yours is..LOL :D

Scot

6. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Put a hole in the floor and mount it to the dash, a T handle on the end. When you want to pass, pull on it and nail the throttle. Or use as a parachute release. :D Just kidding.

7. I beleive that is a Turbo 350 kickdown cable. There were a couple of brackets available from GM for that, one for 2 barrel carbs, another for 4 barrel ones. Get the right one, hook it up, adjust, then everything is as it should be.

8. Screws

Screws
    from Baltimore

Thanks guys. I'll have to check in the AM when I get home from the firehouse- maybe it just came undone at some point and the bracket is still there. Odd either way.

9. No Cents

No Cents

Like the others said, Kickdown cable for a turbo 350. They don't just come undone. If the truck originally had a manual tranny the bracket on the intake and the stud on the carb linkage won't be there. The automatic was probably added and the cable just tucked out of the way.
    As stated previously you don't need it.

10. Screws

Screws
    from Baltimore

Right on. I will keep it like it is then, tucked out of the way. The feller that put it together is a mechanic- it was his after work project before he ran out of time and $$- so it makes sense that if it wasn't connected it didn't need to be.

Thanks again fellow HAMBers. I'm learning, and the advise and direction I have received from the HAMB is indispensable.

-Screws

11. FitzpatrickGlenn

FitzpatrickGlenn

So, it sounds like we all agree it's a TH350 kick down cable. So after attaching with the right bracket, it's going to get pulled by the throttle linkage when you mash the long skinny one, and kick the tranny down into 2nd?...

12. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

yes. you ever try to accelerate in the same gear going 50 mph? it doesnt go very fast.....

13. Screws

Screws
    from Baltimore

Thanks Fitz for the catch- That's why I'm helping you with my truck and not the other way round'

14. Install it. It is a sign of poor worksmanship to have that just laying about, esp. when it's a ten minute job, drunk.

Cosmo

15. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Yep. Mechanic previous owner or not, major shortcut.

Even though it does not control line pressure like a late model TV cable, transmission life will be shortened if it's not hooked up. Downshifts reduce strain on the transmission.

16. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

Orient Bracket correctly and snap Cable into it, if it doesn't stay in Bracket, the lock tab(s) are broken and you need a new Cable... Don't fool around with wire or glue here, nobody likes a throttle stuck open!

Cable end slides onto Carb, ensure freedom of movement...

Attach Bracket to manifold, see photo below
    [​IMG]
    (photo credit: carsbyjim.com)

Locate and release the locking clip on the cable... Small flat blade screwdriver works OK for this...

Make sure you can open throttle full open to the stop by the gas pedal from drivers seat (important step missed by many) Have assistant push tab to locked position...

If by yourself, open throttle by hand at Carb, using other hand push tab to locked position...

Installation & adjustment complete... Time for function check by test drive... You should get detent or kickdown to lower gear @ full throttle below 50-60 MPH depending on gearing assuming the cable is OK, and installed properly :D