Register now to get rid of these ads!

Info on Halibrand magnesium wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Picaninny, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Picaninny

Picaninny

I found these Halibrand magnesium wheels today but never seen this style befor might use them on my 55' chevy. Any info on these mags on what year they came out would help.
    Thank's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Looks as if some one machined the centers/hubs out of the rims? Or is it just the picture, however; the bolt circle is awful close to the hub....

Actually look at the spindle mount rims on the front of the "Winged Express". Your rims appear to be these spindle mounts with the hub machined OUT.....

3. huero

huero

That does not look good.

4. Picaninny

Picaninny

candy-man checked out the "Winged Express" close but not the same the bolt circle is awful close to the hub i know but maybe I can get them fixed. I just thought they were real cool I didn't pay nothing for the two plus the boss man has some othere one's I have my eye's on just afraid to ask how much? Thanks for the help though.

5. BigChief

BigChief

They are decorations. Polish them up and hang them on the wall. They're ruined as a useful (read - SAFE) wheel.

-Bigchief.

6. Picaninny

Picaninny

Yeah i'll hang these on the wall but I saw these on a roadster this saturday at a donut run. They look the same I have the same knock offs but all is good will mount old tire's on them and hang them in the garage.
    [​IMG]

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Shame somebody ruined a set of magnesium wheels.

8. damn shame but great garge art. i have some old kiwi mag wheels i had polished and the full set lives in my bedroom. i love looking at them.

9. Larry T

Larry T

Could they be Indy style "knock off" wheels? With the 5 holes being for drive pins? I don't have any idea, just asking.
    Larry T

10. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Are you sure they are in fact Halibrands? Halibrands should have their name and stampings on them. There were several other mag wheels, back when, that did not have any markings. So, even though you may have got some wall hangers, you might not have to cry as much, knowing they are not real Halibrands.

HellRaiser

11. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Just have someone weld them up and remachine them, i belive magnesium can be welded

12. Weasel

Weasel

Looks like someone enlarged the center hole - you would have to go to a lot bigger bolt pattern to be able to use them - I would not run them under any circumstances, repaired or not.

13. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Doesn't magnesium catch on fire and burn at like 5,000 degrees? I don't think I'd be welding on them unless I just don't know what I'm talking about.:eek:

14. I believe they are Halibrand LSR wheels for use on Bonneville cars. Shame someone bored the center so big.

15. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Well of course, it is like a 1000 degs but they were melted to be cast in the first place, I can swear i've heard of people doing it though, but shielding gas is used

Ive even heard of magnesium pistons being experimented with in the 60's

16. Yes you can weld Magnesium. Local welder does it all the time. I think Bass even did a tech piece on the subject.

17. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Magnesium can definetly be welded...Tig or mig.

I would not weld them.
    Depending on what the current bolt pattern is, it might be possible to redrill them to a large
    pattern like 5 on 5 1/2 or 6 on 5.
    In any case if they were used as PIN DRIVE, they would work as is, assuming the center hole fit the hub.
    My guess would be that is how they were used previously.

18. Those can be repaired. If you don't want to do it I will gladly take them off your hands. I did a repair job on some vintage hals that had large cracks in the lip area on two rims for a customer. I had my buddy that knows how to tig real well weld them up and I dressed them. You couldn't even tell when I was done. You just have to clean the material real good and get the proper rod. I did this job after reading Bass's thread on welding mag. Those are definetly Halibrands. What are the dimensions? They are worth fixing. Like I said I could be interested in those. Here are some pictures to show you what I did.

Attached Files:

19. brandon

brandon

there is a guy on here that messes with sprint cars, he bought 2 pairs of old mag halibrands from me a couple summers ago. 1 pair were the same way , and he said he could fix them easily. if you have the cash , they are usable. just not on a 55 chev:D:rolleyes::D