Register now to get rid of these ads!

help me ID this v12 engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john walker, Jan 5, 2010.

1. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

but only 6 plugs per bank the disasembled manifolds show 6 exhaust an 3 intakes as the intakes ports in the blocks are siamesed.

2. I think a K model Lincoln from the 30's.

Frenchy

3. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Im a newbie here but how about Lincoln? They had flathead V12s....

4. john walker

john walker

i'm pretty sure we've narrowed it down to a pierce-arrow. the heads match various PA pictures. seagrave used them in firetrucks with twin plug heads and dual distributors. now i need to figure out if it was a passenger car engine to 1938 or an early seagrave, that still used single plug heads. no numbers or markings to be seen.

5. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

does it really matter?? regardless of what it was put in, it is still a pierce arrow V12, not a seagrave.

are you planning on putting it in something?? that motor is so long it might be tough to keep the proportions looking right on hot rod.

6. JB 472

JB 472
    from Maine

The Cadillac shown above is a V16 452. They are very hard to tell apart from the V12 370 which they spawned.

The 12 has eight bolts in each valve cover and the 16 has ten.

JB 472

PS - I am currently reading Ludvigsen's book "The V12 Engine". An excellent book detailing the history of the V12 automible engine.

7. john walker

john walker

well i found the engine number under all the white paint. 355110, which is a 1933 pierce arrow, model 1242 or 1247. it only matters to me just to actually know what it really is. now to find some private parts sources. commercial sources like egge are kind of up there $$$ wise. crikey, over $1000 for a gasket set. olson gaskets supposedly are the best deal. gotta find a couple of carbs too. thanks for the help so far.

8. john walker

john walker

i have a 1938 diamond t 404 that may get it. it has a long nose.

9. The Cap'n

The Cap'n
    from Kansas

I have a 1934 Pierce Arrow V-12 7 passenger sedan (well, most of it at least!) that is missing its engine. I posted a want ad quite a while ago and after searching all over I haven't come up with any sources for an engine for my car. If you ever have an interest in selling it I would definitely be interested!

10. RilleCustoms

RilleCustoms

Its a pierce-arrow V-12

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Wish I had one of those. Back in 55 there was a guy on the other side of the bay with a hand built sports roadster with a Cad 16. Sweet. Wonder if it's still around somewhere?

12. edinmass1602

edinmass1602

Hi John, It is a Pierce Arrow engine. The confusion comes from some fire truck parts that are on the engine. I have owned more than a dozen Pierce 12's and can help you with anything you need. We make new valves and springs, as well many other parts. The 33 has babbit rods, and the seagrave blocks post 1942 have inserts, which are no longer available. We have a rod jig to convert the babbit rods to inserts, as it is less expensive than babbit. If you want to use it as a "hot-rod" motor I would recommend you move up to a later series Seagrave engine. Much larger CID with parts available at reasonable prices. I have a take out running 1944 Seagrave engine available as well as a 52,and would consider working out a trade of some type. My direct email is [email protected]