Register now to get rid of these ads!

6" drop axle scrub line

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rev616, Jan 14, 2010.

1. rev616

rev616

does anyone know if the scrub line on a 6" tube drop axle and a 15" wheel would be ok?

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

sounds kinda chancy..

is chancy a word?

anyway the drop of 6 is in the axle..but the bat wing will be lower than that..half of a 15" wheel is 7.5..kinda cutting it close..i wouldnt be comfortable with it..
    maybe some one on here that is doing it could show us pictures?

3. Depends on tire size and shock mounting. I run a 6in Bell with 145s in the front and it is close to illegal But then again I don't care

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is a word now. I like it. I will use it, and make sure you get credit.:)

Don't forget that 15" is to the bead surface. There is still the lip, for about another 3/4" 'ish, so maybe 8-1/4". Even so, I think that the bottom of the curve on the axle might be below the scrub line. The stock A axle goes down about 3" in the middle, so dropping 6" would put you at about 9". Might be chancy even with a 16" wheel, not even counting the bat wings.

5. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Chancy is quite right - in both senses.

6". Add 1" for half the axle depth; another ½" for the thickness of the batwing lower boss; another ½" for the nut, and you're already at 8". But then you can add ½" to the wheel radius for the rim lip, and another 1" or so for the curve of the axle from its lowest point to the wishbone bosses. That gives you an inch IF your batwing is flat-bottomed, which it won't be ...

Edit: Gimpyshotrods did the same calculation at the same time, on better data.

6. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

I dont think so.My 4 inch drop solid i beam axel for my half ton pickup is realy close with a 15 inch rim.I doubt a six inch drop would be any better.

7. rev616

rev616

sorry i forgot to mention that i will be running ford spindles and paralell leaf,so it wont be your standard ford set up..so no batwings

8. rev616

rev616

hmm maybe i will go 4" and get some dropped leafs instead

9. rev616

rev616

so i may be able to get away with it,since im running parallel leafs and batwing?

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

life is short..why push it?