Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 41 Merc survivor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by povertyflats, Apr 26, 2009.

1. TV

TV

As promised, here are some pics of my Merc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Wow, that thing is a beauty!!! Thanks for posting the photos.

3. TV

TV

Thanks, I appreciate your comments. I'm sure yours could look just as good with some buffing and color matching and a little cleaning. Please show it to us in six mos.--TV

4. Wow, they're all cool. It's hard to believe TV's is original paint. The profile of the hood sure reminds me of a shark.

Thanks,
    Kurt

5. TV

TV

I'm in the process of some more work to it. Gonna chrome the window frames and redo the woodgrain on the dash, and I'm looking for some original rear fender skirts. I may down the road install a smallblock and air, it runs so good though I hate to pull it out. --TV

6. Please don't do the SB!!!! Awesome car!

7. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Tom, I love that thing just as it is. I hope you change your mind about the skirts.

8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I was trying to be helpful, not rude. You can call it whatever you want, but if you want others to clearly understand, then you should use descriptive terms carefully.

9. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Whose definition is this? I've never heard the term used with a rigorous qualification to it. Seems to me if it's decent and unrestored, it's a survivor.

10. TV

TV

The reason I wanted to put skirts is it sits a little low in the back. I thought with skirts it would be fine. If I leave it without skirts, I think I should up it in back about 1". What do you guys think?--TV

11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I think it has a very distictive look as it is, low all around without skirts. Kinda reminds me of the style of this Watson Ford. If you raise it in back it'll look fine, but will be more commonplace, IMO.

Attached Files:

12. Poverty, what a killer find! Congrats! I am partial to four doors, I would would be very proud to park that one in my garage.
    TV, that too is a beautiful car, the skirts would look good, but the car doesn't really need them IMO. Leave the back as it sits, perfect stance.

13. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

It's all good man. I don't want to fight. I just want to "survive" myself. :D

14. TV

TV

Thank you, I respect your thoughts. My son thinks it sits fine also, I guess I'm out voted. Sometimes it's better to leave things alone.--TV

15. rick finch

rick finch

^^^^That was "quick & easy!":D

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  16. I'm partial to those fat fendered old 40's

17. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

It's actually a registered trademark. The first of its kind in the automotive world.
    SURVIVOR® Standards

<TABLE width=9 align=left><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width=10> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE height=293 width=722><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width=435>A panel of Certified SURVIVOR Judges certifies that the car met this set of standards:
    1. Is 20 years or older
    2. Completed a 20+ miles road test within one hour
    3. Over 50% unrestored, un-refinished, and unaltered the way it left the factory in at least three of the four areas:
    a. Exterior (Paint, Trim, Glass)
    b. Interior / Trunk
    c. Under Hood
    d. Chassis (Suspension, Frame, Wheels)
    4. Over 50% of the original finishes (paint, fabrics, plating) remain good color references for restoration of a car just like it.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

18. The a@@holes at Bloomington Gold who copyrighted the term "Survivor" are after a car club I belong to for using that "Survivor" term in an award it has for an unrestored/well-preserved car to the point of threatening to sue over it.

19. 50Fraud

50Fraud

News to me. Whose certification, and whose trademark?

20. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

Funny, I'm reading the description at the top of the thread and all the while the Valley Custom 41 Merc is in my mind, and then there it was below the first pictures! Always thought that car was just the coolest 40's sedan custom ever!

21. Rikster

Rikster

Could not resist adding some skirts in photoshop.. quick job...

Fist one is stance as is it right now, only skirts added.

[​IMG]

Lowered a bit more in the back...

[​IMG]

Then I felt the tires and white walls where to small, so I added larger once, raised the front a little and added a rear splash pan.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  22. TV

TV

Rikster, Thanks nice work. I really like the large whitewalls, not sure about the skirts. Sure wish I could photoshop like that. Thanks again.

23. No on the skirts, Yes on some larger Firestones (That green Merc is awesome)

24. Rikster

Rikster

25. No offense to Mike51Merc, but give me a f*cking break with the trademarked terminology...

next up is Custom vs. Kustom...

Not surprising that this was set up by the Corvette guys...not that I have anything against awesome restored and "survivor" Vette's, but this is a little too Pebble Beach Concours IMHO...

26. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I agree that it's a bit over the top. We hobbyists have lots of labels we put on our machines and we use these labels to understand what each other are talking about. This thread started by describing a car as a Survivor, but when I saw the pics with the engine swap and new hubcaps I thought "nice runner but no Survivor" as I understood Survivor to mean.

The word is becoming more important as "Survivors" are bringing higher prices than restorations and mods today. It's like coins, guns, & antiques where unrestored originals in great shape are the most valuable.

So shoot me.

27. Lucky77

Lucky77

I'm 99.9% sure that's HAMBer Flathed Pete's old bucket behind it.

Attached Files:

• 1-14.jpg
      1-14.jpg
      File size:
      130.1 KB
      Views:
  28. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

That would be 100% correct young man. Good eye!

29. Koolrider

Koolrider

Hey.. Want another one? I am Just south of Wichita exit 33 on the toll road.. Have it posted on here..
    Bill

30. Koolrider

Koolrider