Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steampunk

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4t64rd, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billy zz

billy zz

i think so too.
    i like that mutant art deco stuff.

2. yes, but I would like to see the mechanical workings of the afore mentioned abortion.

3. crap, I was hoping it was a little steam driven model. oh well, nevermind then.

4. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Steampunk is great where it belongs,in novels.If I call it a 'RATROD' out loud can I get this thread shut down?'cos that's all it is,nothing to do with tradition,more Mad Max.
    Pretty please?with sugar on top?

5. bitchin avatar krip

6. billy zz

billy zz

dont look at it if it hurts your feelings

7. billy zz

billy zz

yep

8. rotten egg

rotten egg

It doesn't look like junk, it IS JUNK !

Nobody's mentioned how dangerous steam is.

I had a boiler explode on me, & blew off my arms & legs. Now I have to drive my hot rod by blowing into a tube like Christopher Reeve.
    Signaling for turns is the hardest part.

9. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Indeed it can be....but "steampunk" is more of a moniker as opposed to a direct reference to what runs it in this case. HOWEVER, some company in India has developed an engine that runs by transferring steam between chambers. I wonder how much hp that generates. It would be interesting to see if it had any custom applications. I can't help it, I have a thing for non-traditional engines.

10. CShroom

CShroom

From a pure aesthetics view, steampunk is neat.

I am not entirely certain that the model would be in that category. It looks to be a more found art than an actual steampunk art piece.

I think it is real neat. There are some details in the car I found interesting like the keys in the ignition and such. But not the best of his work.. I actually got more of a kick out of the speedboat.

I am down on the steampunk covers that offer no functionality. I love seeing gears move and squeak. But I hate the "I am going to glue 50 watch gears on the top of my notebook because it looks cool. There however are some steampunk fans that take it to a level that is just phenomenal. Those are the ones that I find to be a positive.

11. pinman 39

pinman 39

Steampunk as a movement might not be Hamb friendly ,But showing something differnt from what we are used to shouldn't get anybody killed.The masses still have no clue about so many things .And I am sure that alot people here don't get itand don't want to either.I have a friend here who makes pewter jewelry for them and is doing well and has a good sized following .The movement just like this thread will die out just as soon as it looses its appeal.
    In the words of Goerge Carlin "Have a nice Day"

12. Someone will have it built in 1:1 scale, look for it at VLV......

13. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

steampunk...the mfg. dealer's have special tool's to work on their vehicle's, that we can't buy! if FORD, CHRYSLER, or G.M. had the sence of a nat. 1 of them would build a car EXACTLY like the 55-57 years. why? so we CAN work on them, as americans we have lost a big part of our idenity. man we use to RELATE with our cars. that's why everyone world wide are after our old rides. are any of you CORPERATE WHORES listening? your the damned reason we quite buying your junk. you took away something very dear to our hearts...POP.

14. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

steampunk...the mfg. dealer's have special tool's to work on their vehicle's, that we can't buy! if FORD, CHRYSLER, or G.M. had the sence of a nat. 1 of them would build a car EXACTLY like the 55-57 years. why? so we CAN work on them, as americans we have lost a big part of our idenity. man we use to RELATE with our cars. that's why everyone world wide are after our old rides. are any of you CORPERATE WHORES listening? your the damned reason we quite buying your junk. you took away something very dear to our hearts...POP.

15. It is a fun piece of sculpture, plain and simple. If it turned up as a trophy in the basement of the Autorama, all the scruffy elite would be saying, SSWWEEETTT.

16. doctorZ

doctorZ

we get it. you don't like modern manufacturers. move on! nothing is going to change. stop starting threads like this and pushing other ones in this direction because they'll just get shut down. you have been on here less than 6 months and have more posts than most people that have been on here for years and years. maybe it's time to sit back and cool off. lurk for a while and come back when you have something positive to add to the message board.
    thanks,
    -drZ

17. doctorZ

doctorZ

that thing was bitchin'! A+ for originality. not a bad looking girl on the front of it either!

18. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I don't know about that model: the rat-rod influence is undeniable, the ingenuity and sense of fun notwithstanding. I'll withhold judgment on that one.

But I took a look at that site, and much of the philosophy accords very much with my own. It is unfortunately somewhat uninformed: the timber-bodied, wood-gas-propelled Citroën is a case in point. The aims of the philosophy it is trying to embody could better be served by taking a look at automotive history. Cars didn't spring, fully-formed manifestations of global corporate technological prowess, from the brow of Zeus; they grew out of mom-and-pop-scale attempts at invention. So if we're after artisanal cars, why start with a mass-produced Citroën, considered "futuristic" (read corporate, industrial) at its launch in 1955? Why not look at the time many cars really were artisanal, or at least at the survival of the artisanal spirit in the form of hot-rodding?

Cool, but the guy is re-inventing the wheel!

19. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

im not a rat rod fan but i do like this. I just think its cool how people think...god forbid some people are different...some of you need to start smoking weed and chill out a little. life is short....easy sweeties...easy.

20. rotten egg

rotten egg

OH SNAP ! DR.Z gives a beat down.

I have to agree. Cars aren't as simple as they used to be, but you can't deny the quality.
    I have 110,000 on my 99 ram, & have hardly done more than brakes & a tune up (at 100K !) + advancements in ride & comfort. (& in some cases mileage).
    I'd like a car that looks like a '56 nomad (full size though), & performs like a modern car / truck.

21. jim-fink

jim-fink

jeez it may not be HAMB friendly but come on you gotta respect the craftsmanship involved, 100% for attention to detail!!!

22. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.