Register now to get rid of these ads!

model A's more popular than 32's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrap metal 48, Jan 13, 2010.

1. -Brent-

-Brent-

A Deuce has been more popular from 1932 and on... look at those who've built lakes cars, show rods, etc., in the 40s-60s. I do agree that A's are less expensive/plentiful, however, and that's why more are being built around here. You give an A owner the option to trade for a 32 and I'd bet they'd forget about that A as soon as the deuce came into sight.

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

<----You Get One Guess ..my choice.

I wouldnt kick a 32 out of my garage..but i cant get one to come over cheap enough

plus i think the A's have less "rules" and i like that...be the rebel i am

Model T1 likes this.
  3. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

I would love to have a 32 but I have had my A for 26yrs its a part of me wouldn't part with her for the world...she's like an old friend

Model T1 likes this.
  4. I agree that the 32 is more popular in the sense that people scramble to buy one when it comes up for sale.Mostly because its more rare and those who want to be in the clique want the quintessential "Hot Rod". My personal favorite has always been the 32 3window because of the looks.I once owned a 5 window but let it go.Now I have my second favorite ever car,the 28-29 Roadster Pickup.I value it as much as a 32 but I couldn't care less what is popular.

Model T1 likes this.
  5. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Me too. The '32 has turned into the ubiquitous hot rod and for lack of a better way of saying it, I think they're totally played out. It's turned into the rich man's hot rod and they all look the same to me and it's a rare exception when they don't. A's seem to have more uniqueness and ingenuity to them in most cases. And obviously there is the cost thing at play.

Eh whatever, I'll always like A's more.

Model T1 likes this.
  6. kirby1374

kirby1374

Model A 28-31......Duece one year 32

7. Robza

Robza

I did originally want a '32 but cost just doesn't make it feasible. So I've gone for a Model A on Deuce Rails but this doesn't phase me as it will still turn out great. (fingers crossed)

The question I'd like to ask is will we get to a stage where the demand due to popularity/cost effectiveness drive the price's of Model A steel and glass up to 32 prices for the simple fact that they are getting more popular?

I sure as hell hope not.

8. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

anyone remember that 32 body that sold on ebay about 3 yrs ago for 23k or some shit??? it was a huge pile of shit! there was a thread on here about it...but im lazy!!! :) i love the look of an A on 32 rails, thats what im building {if i ever get some cash and get off my ass and finish it} ...but i would love a 32! do i like them better? no, but being 6ft3, it would sure be more roomy! not sayin i wouldnt take a 32 over an A , at all! but i love them both!......hmmm...that was a train wreck!

Model T1 likes this.
  9. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

A's of course. It's been touched on before but it seems that the A is the car for us guys/gals who like to build our own stuff. The 32 tells me immediately that the guy driving it probably didn't build it and paid someone to do all the work. Maybe it's a blue collar/white collar thing. I don't know but, remember that feeling you get when you build your own car and get into a race with a daddy bought showroom roller and you kick the crap out of them? Yeah, kinda like that!;) 32's are "nice" but A's rule!:eek::D

volvobrynk and Model T1 like this.
  10. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

SCRAP...O.K. I didn't know that!...POP.

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

For me it comes down to the overall design of the two. The '32 is much more refined and and improved upon from the 28-29 models as far as coupe go.

The '29 Roadster is the only exception to my rule. It looks by far the best sitting on a '32 chassis but when it comes to coupes the '32 has it hands down. The way that is sits slightly over the chassis and the way the driver sits an inch or two lower because of an increased height from bottom to belt line. The windshield on a '32 is just a far better looking piece especially when chopped down. When fit with full hoods the '32 starts to pull away ever further as far as pros go in design. The model a's are very square and boxy and just do not have that fluid like look to them as the '32's go. I mean there is a reason that the best Model a's use '32 parts like the frame, grille shell, etc. It's because the '32 is just a better looking car but that is only my opinion so it's not worth much.

Now that is not to say that the model a is not fucking awesome in it's own right. I do agree with a good portion of people with model a's being good down and dirty hot rods. Very purposeful and sinister looking and that might be because of the visor too. I love them both but when I think of my dream car I will always think about a Model 18 or 1932 Ford. It's the reason why I decided to pay the price of a flawless Model A body for something that looks like scraps. I don't have the money to have someone built it so I am on my own but I know it's the right choice because it's my dream car and I can work towards making it nice.

Model T1 likes this.
  12. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

remember Ford only made 32's for ONE YEAR. They made model A's for 4 years!

13. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

I do prefer an ''A'' to a ''B'' I have to say, apart from a Deuce 5 window that is!

Nick.

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still not sure which is more popular, I guess because they both make great hot rods...........

15. Tank

Tank

The 32' will always be the King of the Hot Rod world. Always. I was raised on Model "A"s, so its what I know. Therefore its what I have. People that don't know Hot Rods call Model "A"s 32s. It just goes hand in hand. A's more popular? More affordable, definately.

16. thequietwon

thequietwon

Not to start shit, but I don't agree with this at all...of all the 32 owners that I personally know, only 1 is a paid, proffessional build. I can honestly say that I personally know of more professionally built (usually restored) A's. How many threads are here on the HAMB of common, do-it yourself guys building 32's? More than a few...
    That being said, 32's are obviously more expensive to build...for all the reasons already listed. To me, I like them both...before I found my 3w, I was considering an A...because I could find one fairly easily!
    By the way, my 32 will be built by me...:cool:
    sam

Model T1 likes this.
  17. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

I wonder how many of the guy's who think the A is a better looking body have put '32 grille shells on them? Maybe that's the only good part off a deuce? LOL

Model T1 likes this.
  18. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

Give me an "A" anyday! HaHa

[​IMG]

Blues4U likes this.
  19. redo32

redo32

All you guys whining about the price of a deuce. I only paid $325 for my tudor sedan.............. in 1971. paid almost 100 times that for my 3 window last year.

20. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I like Model A's ... but I have NEVER owned one. :confused:
    I have friends who do own Model A's or have owned Model A's. I have drove and ridden in their Model A's and Deuces seem to have a larger, more secure feel to me. I am 6 foot 2 inches tall, OVERWEIGHT and past 60 years of age ... so I want a more comfortable car than a Model A.

[​IMG]

I have owned my Deuce Roadster since the 70's. That was when 10 grand would buy you a pretty nice Deuce ... finished and running ... ready to go to the rod runs. Nice Model A's were in the 4 to 6 grand range. Looking back, the price difference today is about the same ( comparsion wise ) as it was in the 70's.

A lot of Deuce owners get a bad rap ... :(
    A lot of them now are older, more settled and set better money wise than they ever have been ( working 25/30/35 years can do that for you ). So NOW they end up with the car they always wanted. Then some say that they are uppity ... or elitist.

NOT REALLY ...
    They just have finally got the car they wanted
    :D :)

So for me ... Deuces are more popular and I want another one ( or two ) to go with the pair I already have :eek: :cool:

Model T1 likes this.
  21. scotts52

scotts52

How does everyone feel a 4 door would fit into the equation. Would anyone rather have a 32 fordor because its a 32 over say an A tudor? Will 32 fordors ever be worth much?

22. Actually you could use that to argue either way. Model A's seem more popular because they're more common and thus cheaper to buy. '32s are less common at shows and command much more money because they're if anything more popular, but a damn sight harder to find.

23. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Strange how non-hot-rodders don't know their early Fords. It's almost as if they take a perverse sort of pride in their ignorance. It's amazing how often you read about a "1932 Ford Model A" in the mainstream British classic-car magazines, from writers who really ought to know better.

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like my 32 as I can get two girls in it but prefer the look of the 30, esp with a chop and channel, next to it the 32 looks pregnant, which I dont want my girls to look like :)

25. I personally like the looks of the model A, to me it is more popular. I think popularity lies in the person you ask!

26. Phil1934

Phil1934

Hiboy '32 roadster body looks too tall unless it's channeled so just the frame reveal shows. I think the way '28-'29 front fenders wrap around the tire was also one of Ford's best designs. However in coupes the '32 wins out as A's just don't have the curves in the top. My vote goes back to A's for sedans as the '32 gas tank is too busy and the A visor is a plus. I like the '28-'29 A shell better as the '32 grill is on everything these days.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  27. SlamIam said it, chopped A looks sinister, I love the visor and lines. If I had a chance to buy a 32 cheap it would only be to sell it and make money. Chopped A on 32 rails with a flathead or Hemi is true hot rod. loved them since I was a kid.

Model T1 likes this.
  28. I prefer the look of an A. By that I mean, if both were the same cost, I'd pick the A. The only exception would be a 3W coupe. And if there was an A 3W, I'd probably like that more than a deuce. I like the more raw, basic, and tougher looking elements of the A.

Model T1 likes this.
  29. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

Thats what I think...yes the 32 will always be the "Mac Daddy" hot rod, but I'm like most of you guys , my wife wont let me spend that much grocery money on a hot rod. The model A has nice lines so thats my next build.

Model T1 likes this.
  30. I like model A's and have owned a few over the years,,32 fordor,,hum,,I own one of those and yes I would rather own it than a model A 2 door,,but that's me.

Will they ever be worth anything?,,they use to be a lot of them around but they were considered parts cars until the past 10 years or so and stripped for that prized hood or grill shell and insert.

Today they are worth a lot because again,,that one year.

[​IMG]

There are a lot of guys here on the Hamb that own 32 fordors. HRP

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
    Model T1 likes this.