Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is this? Is it an old moving truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onebadtwo, Jan 13, 2010.

1. I think its eerie... like if I were in front of it and it was coming up behind me. my first thought would be its gonna eat me lol

2. How much is a bus ticket to MO?
    That would be an awesome transporter.
    How solid is the one in FLA?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  3. 440shawn

440shawn

Man that would be so cool all restored. Thanks for posting.

4. That is a moving van. As stated above, an IH chassis; but I couldn't tell you who built the body.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  5. No Cents

No Cents

You nailed it. Definitely a moving van.
    Where is it and how much will it take to buy it!!!!

6. that one on ebay is way shorter than the one in the post. not as tall either.

I'd like to have taller version. I'd put a bed in the loft, a shitter, a kitchen, and table that turns into a bed. I'd try and keep it fairly compact, that way I could save room for a compresssor and tools in the back of the van. maybe a diesel swap? then I would get a trailer to tow a race car....it would be awesome.:D:cool:

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Black Primer

Black Primer

It looks like it could be a character in the next "Cars" movie.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. ragtop35

ragtop35

One I took a picture of in So Calif years ago

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. that thing is way cool. make a bitchin' swap meet hauler.

10. roadkiII

roadkiII
    from charlotte

north american van lines. movers.

11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Where can I find a 501 cubic inch inline six? Are they huge physically? I must know!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. kustomriv

kustomriv

Hi

Thats from the yard in Waycross right?

13. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

It is a Highway Post Office. A crew of mail clerks sorted mail so it would be ready to deliver when it reached the destination, just like they did on trains. I worked for the Post Office and loaded mail on the Portland-Bend HPO in the late 1950's just before they stated flying all the mail. When they surplused them out they probably were bought by furniture movers. They were made by two companies; International Harvester and Fageol. The one in the wrecking yard is an International.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. Rande

Rande

If I had the money, I'd buy that thing park it within sight of an interstate and chase off any poor dumb bastard that asked if it's for sale. That would be fun...

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. There used to be one like that in Utica NY, just east of the train station. Might have been a tad older. I wish I'd asked about it, would have made neat storage if nothing else. Friend of mine got a similar era Dodge moving van and keeps it on a corner lot he does a garage sale/flea market out of in the summer, keeps the flea crap stored right in it.

Biggest problem with them is you have to either flat tow them or put them on a low-boy truck to haul them anywhere.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

It's kinda creepy...me likes creepy!

17. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That same builder also made the same body with different doors and interior shelving as Bookmobiles for rural areas which had no libraries.
    There was one in Carthage TX for years and over in the Linden/Atlanta TX area. Both were Bookmobiles with front and rear side entry doors..

18. Dzus

Dzus

I've been eye'n that one sittin' on the farm right on the east side of I29 for 25 years now.

I'm about ready to move in.:cool:

19. ronnie tidwell

ronnie tidwell
    from odessa tx

may have been a horse hauling van, still use em today

20. retromotors

retromotors

Yeah, bookmobile was my initial guess looking at the first pic, then I saw the big ol' door on the passenger side.

Used to look forward to the bookmobile visits at my school in the '50s. Not a rural area, but very small-town (at that time, anyway!)

21. oldpaint

oldpaint

Rande, is that old truck in your avatar for sale???:)

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

Chop the top on it..........

23. 62rebel

62rebel

i want it. the redneck in me wants it. soooo baaaadddllllyyy.

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. Looks like the remains of a North American Van Lines logo on the front above the windshield, more visible on passenger side.

25. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

---------------------------
    The bigger International trucks used them from the early'40's well into the late-1950's -early 60's. They're big, but not absolutely huge or anything, like some truck engines - and not so big that one probably couldn't be shoehorned into a rod of some sort. Size-wise, try to visualize a lump of iron about the size and shape of a Packard or Chrysler flathead straight-8, but with 6 cylinders and an overhead valve head added. The bore and stroke on them is 4.5 X 5.25 and a company called Ellis even made some 2-2bbl multi-carb intakes for them at one time. Several years ago, the yard I worked in scrapped a circa-1944 ex- Royal Canadian Air Force bus built on an International K-series truck chassis that had a 501 Cornbinder Six in it, and just guessing, here because we didn't actually weigh it, but the engine probably weighed somewhere around 900 to 1000 lbs.

Mart3406
    ==============================

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. onebadtwo

onebadtwo

Thats the one. It's just outside Waycross.

27. onebadtwo

onebadtwo

Next time I'm out there I will snap some more pictures and look a little more closely for a vin tag or body tag. I'll also look at the engine a little closer.

28. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

--------------
    When you're looking at the engine, if it's got one of those big finned Delco ingnition coils, like it appears to have in the pic, that's worth grabbing, if nothing else.

Mart3406
    ================================

29. gaskell

gaskell
    from CO

Worked for a stable in the 80 that had a horse trailer that looked just like this Only green and white.

30. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy