Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features cragar wheel history

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bulletproof1, May 14, 2008.

1. TheNovaMan

TheNovaMan
    from Michigan

Noooooooooo! I missed the pics, dangit!

Yeah? Are they in good shape? Wanna sell 'em?

In 2006, casting of the S/S center sections was shipped overseas. They are still assembled in the USA, and it's still handled by Carlisle.
    As far as I can tell, the Danbom brothers bought Cragar so they could continue the pimping of the once-great name, NOT so they could restore the company to its former glory as a racing wheel company.

2. so bottom line your sayin the new S/S wheels are crap??........that sucks

3. ronnie tidwell

ronnie tidwell
    from odessa tx

ss's my fasvorite, still available at summit, jegs
    those PLATT, MCNEELY A/FX FALCONS IN 1965, the ss made em look way good

4. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

I assume your inquiring about the skinnies, not sure yet.
    looking at possible gasser style race car build and not sure which way we will go .Wanted a 55 Olds but found a 53 and 49 and 37 Olds LOL, I will get pics of wheels just for sake of thread .
    The GT's may end up for sale later, they are 15" ford pattern . here is the GT on the Rancho

Attached Files:

5. These wheels were for the Barracuda,Valient,Darts....
    5 lug pattern smaller than 4 1/2"
    Forget the year of manuf.....

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Muttley, Roy Richter did NOT design the Crager SS wheel. They were the design effort of Jot Horne who worked for Roy. Read the facts in the latest Rod and Custom, The Jot Horne Story.

Frank

7. Muttley

Muttley

Hmm..........I got that info from the Cragar site.

"Richter decided to manufacture an affordable high-quality wheel of his own. He would sell it under the old Cragar name, which he had acquired from the Wight estate. In addition to his native instinct for proper engineering, Richter possessed a sense of aesthetics. Seeking both rigidity and good looks, he spent two years designing and testing what was to become the Cragar S/S, the most popular, most imitated, and most successful custom wheel in history."

8. Muttley

Muttley

I uploaded them on another account so they should show for you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Runawaychair

Runawaychair

10. TheNovaMan

TheNovaMan
    from Michigan

Thanks again, Mutley!

Well, I can't really say, as I haven't examined any of the new ones. They might be OK since they're still assembled in the USA, but I have no idea if the casting quality is as good.

Speaking of casting quality, I really like the looks of Cragar's one-piece cast S/S, but they're also cast overseas. :(

[​IMG]

11. 64jmb

64jmb
    from AZ

Hello..
    I am new to the fourm... does anyone have a set of the cragar 14 x 6 G/T plus brushed aluminum for a 66 mustang.. here is a picture of the wheels I am looking for... my email is [email protected] .:)

Attached Files:

12. WTF where these intended for? Crager blew it on this one. Couldn't wait to get them off my car after buying it back.

Attached Files:

13. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

Cragar also made the wheel for the 65 and some limited 66 Ford Shelby Mustang GT350s. It had a chrome outer rim, with a cast 5-spoke center where the face of the spoke was recessed. They also made a similar aftermarket rim, that carried the cast center out to the edge of the rim. I think the Shelby wheel is important, as they are known as the Cragar optional wheel in Shelby circles, and today are very valuable, like Halibrands.

Jay

14. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

64jmb has posted a shot of the aftermarket rim that is similar to the Shelby wheel.

15. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

i had the 16x8 wheels then the 16x10 came available
    also got a set of goodyear slicks from Tony Nancy's gas dragster that goodyear had given him to test >got them after 3 test runs<

Attached Files:

16. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

I really like that steering wheel idea!
    I put one on the gas cap for a spun alum tank i put in the back of a Model A pick-up.
    I'm like a gawdamn Zombie to a fresh plate of brains when I see those Cragar caps at a swap meet! :D

I have a box full of singles that I'll go through for you guys to see if I have any mates.

Attached Files:

17. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

My brother just put these on the Altered wheelbase Rambler he is working on........ i think they are about as cool a wheel as you can put on a car of this style.

Attached Files:

18. TheNovaMan

TheNovaMan
    from Michigan

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  19. TheNovaMan

TheNovaMan
    from Michigan

Just learned something interesting the other day. I was talking to a guy at Stockton Wheel Service about rechroming Cragars, and I found out that skinnies have a different center section than "regular" wheels. A 15x4 rim is a big bore rim, so the OD of the center section has to be larger, requiring a different casting. No one makes a regular bore 15x4 rim, so you can't take a regular center section and make a skinny out of it.

BUT the center sections of 14" and 15" diameter wheels of non-skinny proportions are the same, so if you want to spend the money, you can have your old, good, made-in-USA center section put into a new rim so that you essentially have a new Cragar with whatever width, diameter and backspace you want.

20. metalbender

metalbender
    from N J

I need help finding at least one hub cap for Cragar Protech Made in the late 70's early 80's. Have three need one. Thanks for any help.
    Doug

Attached Files:

21. TheNovaMan

TheNovaMan
    from Michigan

You know, I think I've seen a hub cap like that once on eBay. Save yourself a search with the keyword Cragar and condition: used, and you'll find one eventually.

22. Moondog13

Moondog13

Go to the previous page, about half-way down. It might help ya. :D

23. dadseh

dadseh

Not Cragars, but... the best damn wheel ever made in Australia...Splatt Dragways.
    Circa 1970... still going on my current ride.

Attached Files:

24. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Hell yea! I got a set of um and cant wait to throw um on my hotrod 55!

25. marfen

marfen
    from sask

When did unilug start up in the SS Cragar?

26. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Bob DeYoung passed away a few days ago he was the "face" of Cragar Wheels for many years. He helped many, and was a respectable man.

27. gene99

gene99
    from eaton ohio

I had a set of sst in early 1979 15x10 and 14x6 on my 70 chevelle ss the first ones around . tried to buy fentons alumin trick wheels but they were always on backorder. Bought the wheels at Hawkins speed shop in Richmond Ind.

28. thunderplex

thunderplex

Nobody gave a crap about traditional back then. And I mean nobody. Everybody wanted the new stuff coming out. Now, .. that stuff is traditional.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  29. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

A set of Cragar Street/Pro slotted mags w/ spinners on my OT 66 Chrysler. I thought they looked bitchin with the white letter BFGs

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    earlymopar likes this.