Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Sad Sunday

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Little Wing, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

2. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Wow.

I have an old cassette loaded with some of his radio ads. It was something put out about 25+ years ago and narrated by Steve Evans. I'll have to dig it out as a memorial tribute of my own.

Vance

3. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

RIP Jan. Another part of hot rod history gone.......

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

The comments under that article were pretty entertaining.

5. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

This guy must have been pretty old cuz I remember those ads from my teen days in the sixties. Al Roker must have too cuz they try to imitate him on the Today show. Sad day.:confused:

6. weldtoride

weldtoride

7. I noticed that on Dragracingonline too. Glad you posted it.

8. Hearing SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY while listening to Wolf Man Jack........:)

9. Only 69 years old. RIP.

10. the-rodster

the-rodster

Sad, bet he was a character.

At least Kirk found his twin brother...

[​IMG]

11. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Ok, I'll be the one to ask...

When is the funeral? According the Chi-town Tribune, it's on Sunday...

12. picasso

picasso

I found the most of them to be disrespectful and demeaning. I only hope this guys family were not as offended as I was.

13. I was at a fund raiser two years ago & Jan was there. He sat in his wheel chair & told stories for about an hour. He did a live read like he would have done about US 30 with "Dig Daddy Don Garlits and Cha Cha Muldowney" and he sounded just as he did 20 years ago.
    He also came owned the bricks that were used in the St Valentines day Massacure. He told the story of how the bricks were haunted and gave him nothing but bad luck and grief untill the day he sold them.
    Great story teller & will be missed in the ChicagoLand motorsports community.

14. I missed him announcing for the "Olympics of Drag Racing" at "Great Lakes Dragstrip"...!

This was his "hallmark" ad for US 30 Dragstrip...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jDYzidMqq4o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jDYzidMqq4o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

15. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Just listened and watched. Twice!

I remember these ads vividly playing constantly on the local stations. We were about 80 miles south of US30.

God speed Jan.

16. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

You know, I wonder how many of us would dig a ringtone, "Sunday, Sunday, Sunday US30 Dragway..." blasting away on the cell phone for fun. I was thinking about it and thought it would be cool.

I would love to just let that one play on and on in the conference room (lol!)

How could we make THAT happen??

PS: I have never played around with setting up ring tones and using your own files to do so but I am sure it is done. It would just be cool to buy it and have a few bucks go to Jan's family if it were available...

17. Ghost28

Ghost28