Register now to get rid of these ads!

A slight change of plans...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Clash, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Johnny Clash

Johnny Clash

So I had originally started off collecting parts for a boat tail speedster. bought a few things and was really excited about it. Till I hopped on CL and saw this. I just couldn't pass it up. It was way to cheap and came with a ton of extra parts. I brought her home today and already started tearing into it. My dad has had numerous falcons/rancheros and my brother has had a ranchero, a wagon and a two door hardtop falcon, so I guess it's time I join the family business. I already had a 53 plymouth that I loved but I'm really digging the early sixties cars right now. This should be a fun one. I'm thinking of running an original six cylinder so I don't have to swap out front end parts and dropping it to the ground. Jade/satin green with a black roof, black steelies and a the original center caps. any suggestions?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  2. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

I like the color and wheel combo idea. Maybe high gloss on the steelies? Good luck with her, keep us updated!

3. Johnny Clash

Johnny Clash

I will. That's exactly what I was thinking. Anybody have any lowering tips?

4. creeder

creeder
    from Pa

I have a 61 that I put 3" blocks in the rear and cut one coil in the front. I do still have 13 inch wheels but I am in the middle of prepping some 14 inch for it.

Good luck and lots of pics please.

5. 41plym

41plym

Did I see you dragging that thing down 179th st. west of the Clark County fairgrounds? I was out splitting wood in my pasture and swear you went by.

6. Gigantor

Gigantor

My suggestion is that you box up all the parts you gathered for your boat tail and send it out my way. I love old wagons and understand the appeal of driving and old car right away, but a boat tail speedster is just next level shit.

7. Johnny Clash

Johnny Clash

41plym you did see me! That's funny. We were taking the back roads so we didn't have to drag it down the freeway so far. I plan on taking lots of pics don't worry about that. Thanks for the feedback.

8. Mockie

Mockie

kinda liking the gasser stance, I'm on my way over to start blowing holes in the hood for the injection setup

9. Improve the brakes. Ford brakes from that era are nearly criminally ineffective, and that goes double for the 9 inch brakes on that wagon. I've owned about four of that type chassis, and all were horrid in the brake dept.

Disc fronts at least, power if you wish.

Otherwise I gotta say "Cool". I had a Falcon Squire years back, and wish I still had it (ex-wife got it, luckily sold it to someone who cared...)

Cosmo

10. Eb4Prez

Eb4Prez

Love it! I had a '65 futura 4dr daily driver a couple of years ago and miss it!(62comet to replace it shortly!) Keep the 6 cyl paint the wheels off white (almond) with stock hub caps, keep the paint, replace the heater core and defroster tubes and happy motoring! A little tasteful pinstriping on the hood can't hurt either. You're killing me Smalls!

11. Johnny Clash

Johnny Clash

I don't know, those stock wheel caps on black steelies look pretty awesome. I just tore her down today and she needs a good pressure wash. I go this weekend to pick up the 250 straight six mated to a C4 that's going under the hood. Should scoot along just fine. But like Cosmo said, the whole stopping thing might be another story. I can't wait to get that engine in her and mob around town. I'll post some pics when I get the motor. I was gonna fab up my own floor shifter for the C4. It has a 3 on tree now. That should be fun.

12. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

Hey! I like your wagon! Just cut the coils in the front and block the rear. for the I6 you can get cheap Go-fast parts at classic inlines and virtually any other part ! macs antique auto parts, AAAAND mustang parts interchange. BTW, do you need 14 inch 4 lug wheels with wide Whites (For Sale)?!?!?!?! Ha well good luck!

13. Johnny Clash

Johnny Clash

Maybe how much? I was thinking of just sticking with the black wall.

14. Johnny Clash

Johnny Clash

So I got home today and started pressure washing the old falcon off so i could get a better look at her and all that. Finished up hosing her down and I head to the basement to toss my wet pants when I see 4 inches of water covering my basement floor. I guess a pipe burst and sprayed water all over my shit! So, this weekend will be be spent working on the car AND doing a bit of plumbing. yay.

15. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

I was hoping for at least 450 for the set but if your in portland the shipping might be around 80? um il take 350, Im trying to get back to my 13 inch wheels but need the money for the tires :( where in portland do you live? I love it up there, im tryin to move there soon!

16. buckable

buckable

This page has a link to a PDF that will show you how to lower the front a-arms correctly to avoid binding the ball joints and keep good front end geometry. It's only an inch but it's free and you can cut springs from there to go lower. I would think if you want to put it on the ground and still be driveable you would have to bag it.
    Do a search on H.A.M.B for Falcon - there's a ton of stuff here whether you want it in the weeds custom style or kissing the clouds gasser. Should be fun.Lots and lots of Falcons in our area, too.

17. Johnny Clash

Johnny Clash

Julio: I think i'll just stick to the black walls but let me know if you visit portland! I live in the NE area. I love it. Take care.

18. Johnny Clash

Johnny Clash

buckable: Thanks for the tips! I can't wait to see how this project turns out. see ya around.