Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mustang Tank in a GM Car Gauge??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron, May 15, 2008.

1. Ron

Ron

I know I have seen a post about this before but I searched and cannot find anything.

Put a 60's Mustang gas tank in a 60's GM(Pontiac) car. How can I get the Ford sending unit to work with the GM gauge?

Thanks

2. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

You can't, Ron. Different Ohm values, from empty to full, as well as reading the opposite way!
    You'll need to run an OEM GM sender, or a universal sender set for a GM gauge.
    Oh, Yeah...nice to finally meet you in person in Detroit! Hope all your pics came out good.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  3. ray

ray
    from colorado

why hasn't anyone created an electronic adapter to do the job? a programmable electronic fuel sender adapter seems like a no brainer to me. it would even be easy to make it's range more linear instead of the gauge dropping more rapidly the closer to empty you get.

4. i've always found it easier to just use the correct sender to match the gauge....the sender you need will be 0 ohms empty and 30 ohms full for GM cars up to `64. 1965 and later GM cars use 0 ohms empty and 90 ohms full

the ford mustang sender is 73 oms empty and 10 ohms full....you can see that not only the resistance value is different , but they work opposite ..as chopolds has already mentioned

i'm sure someone smart could come up with an universal electric adapter , but until they do we are stuck with using the correct sender to match the gauge

5. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I always found that a stick works jus'fine

No oms, voltage hassle or anything else unless you loose the stick or figure out a way to derop it in the tank anf it a pinch it makes a nifty campfire starter?

I'm still getting over those guys on YOU TUBE :D

6. Get a gauge off of an airecoupe>>>>.

7. This is a pretty old thread, but I'm gonna bring it back to life.
    I have a 55 Poncho Star Chief that I just installed a new 66 Mustang gas tank and sending unit in.
    I really want to keep my original pontiac fuel gauge as it works great.

I'm an electrical engineer by trade, and I think I'm going to use a small microprocessor and a couple DA converters to make the Ford sending unit work with my GM gauge.

Shouldn't be too hard to do, and I think alot of guys would have a use for a universal sending unit -> gauge adapter. Doing it this way would allow to use any sending unit with any gauge.

I'll get to work on it next week and post a thread about it.

Can any of you guys confirm 100% the Ford & GM sending unit resistances and which value is full tank and empty tank?

Thanks!
    Evan

8. good luck , i hope it works..a lot of guys could use one

9. theodore

theodore

If you cut the sending unit off the tube and flip it upside down you get a rough idea of empty and full....or at least it seams to be working so far...

10. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Been there, done that, and it worked fine.

11. big creep

big creep

that would be rad!

12. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

Working in it, should have them by the spring
    Mark

13. BaltoBeater

BaltoBeater

Well know, I seem to have found myself in the same predicament. Any progress on these yet? I could sure use one. Or schematics for how to make it work.

14. tom brown

tom brown

hello- contact dalphin gauges-ads are everywhere- tell them the gauge you are using . they have a 12v sending unit that is an easy installation. tell them you are using gm gauge as above advice is correct. they don't mix. been in your shoes. good luck

15. BaltoBeater

BaltoBeater

Thanks for the info Tom. I'll contact them.

16. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Bang a hole in the top and add a GM sender... It works for me. 20 bucks at the parts store. Most aftermarket fuel guages use a gm style sender.

17. HanelineJake

HanelineJake

We also have something in development. Maybe an opportunity to work together with a couple of you to finish it sooner.

Otherwise, depending on the pivot point for the float arm on the sending unit, you can reverse the resistance output by reversing the float arm. Doesn't always work with certain fuel sending units, but maybe worth a try.

For example, if you have a GM sending unit that is 0 ohms at empty and 90 ohms at full, 0 ohms will be when the float is at the bottom of the tank, but if you had the float on the opposite side of the pivot point, it would be at the top. This would make a fuel sensor that is 90 ohms at empty, and 0 ohms at full, which is very similar to the Ford range of 73 at empty and 10 at full.

Kinda hard to explain without pictures of having a fuel sending unit right in front of you.

18. BaltoBeater

BaltoBeater

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I should also mention I'm staying with the original gauge in the 52.

19. Barn-core

Barn-core

Puttin' this back to the top to see if anyone has a solution yet. I'm wanting to put a Mustang type tank under the bed in my '64 Chevy pickup, to get the tank out of the cab. This fuel sender problem is the only thing holding me back.

20. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

I subscribed to this thread as I have a Ford tank with Chev wiring.

Question:Do the Ford tanks have a filter sock inside at the pickup tube area that can clog with sediment?
    Long story....

Bob amos likes this.
  21. cretin

cretin

fadingfastsd, marks914, HanelineJake, any of you made any progress yet?

22. I'm sorry I haven't.
    Gotten so wrapped up in other shit the fuel gauge hasn't been a priority!
    Hopefully soon, I'll definitely post when I have any progress.

23. BaltoBeater

BaltoBeater

Just bringing this one back to the surface. I'm gonna be putting my tank in in the next few weeks and wanted to know if anyone came up with anything yet.

24. Hellfish

Hellfish

Since I was running AutoMeter gauges anyway, I just got a fuel gauge the matched the Ford ohms and the look of my other gauges

25. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

You have to run the 73-10 or 240-33 and convert it, the problem is the resistance on the GM cars goes the other way 0-90 or 0-30
    Been working on the fuel sender converter but everytone who we have had working on it never seems to be able to finish it. Yes seems easy but for some reason I can't get a complete working unit otut of any of our engineering firms.

Mark

26. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Pm'ed ya

Might have what your looking for

27. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

I am getting ready to put a mustang tank in my 63 chevy truck. I was hoping to find a converter or aftermarket sendor to fit the mustang tank and work with a 0-90 gauge.
    I guess I can flip the sensor part somehow (have not seen it) and run it 10-73 and call it close enough. I saw that mentioned earlier in this thread or somewhere else.

28. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

still nothing in production?

29. jrolla2k3

jrolla2k3

Super old thread, but worth a bump to see if anyone has came up with a solution yet.

Jaison

30. 55willys

55willys

There is a solution now! They are about $130 and available at Yogi's and other places, just search fuel gauge converter.