Register now to get rid of these ads!

I inherited my Grandpa's car today, hell yeah

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theloosecannon707, Jan 12, 2010.

1. So recently i was given my grandpas old car. It has been sitting at my uncles ranch under a tarp, and with much negotiation he agreed to give it to me. The story is, my grandpa was given a high profile job for the government overseeing the desighning of new nuclear missle silos for the government under JFK in preperation for the cold war, and his team was stationed in Denver Colorado. The year, 1962. He took his rather large governemnt paycheck down to the biggest chevy dealership and bought a new car for the second time in his life (the first being my grandmas, 56 buick wagon, she got what she wanted first, always). My grandpa with some looking around fell in love with a car the dealer had custom ordered for himself and had just been delivered that day. After much debate and convincing on my grandpas part, he drove away with the owners brand new 1962 Impala Super Sport Convertable, custom ordered in the Gold Anniversary paint. The car was a family car until his death about 9 years ago, when my uncles inherited it and left it at his ranch under a few tarps. Now its mine, and im taking it and restoring it to 100% original condition. No 20 inch wheels, no tinted window, no massive stereo system, just old school style.

Anyone have a story like this of gettign a family members car? let us know.

[​IMG]

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

3. Tony

Tony

GREAT score!!!!!!!!!
    I have a HUGE soft spot for early 60's Impalas, and thats a perfect example!
    The fact it was your grandpa's just makes it that much better!
    It was great to read no huge goofy ass rims etc...sometimes the factory get's em right from the start.

Tony

4. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

Great score!!!!

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Nice dude! That car looks like it need just the smallest TLC.

My family never had anything very cool. My father had a '66 GTO that was pretty slick but he wrapped around a pole so I am not sure that's even around anymore.

6. fireball350

fireball350

Looks great. Good luck with the project.

7. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

8. tunes

tunes

That's a great car to own. Never let it go as it's a family treasure.

9. the-rodster

the-rodster

Congrats, sweet car.

Did you get the vintage Civic, also?

Rich

10. Ghost28

Ghost28

You my friend are a smart man, treat that car with respect. And oh yeah pop the hood, and what is the transmission...John

11. greaser57

greaser57
    from minnesota

CoooooooooooL.............Rich

12. Ghost28

Ghost28

Does it have the dealership logo on the trunk lid?

13. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Great score. One of my favorite chevy's.

14. TexasDart

TexasDart

Hopefullly a 327 with a 4speed....:).....nice car.

15. Ghost28

Ghost28

Or a 409 with a 4 speed

16. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Sweet score.

My dad passed on a few days ago and left with 4 cars and a motorcycle. The 2 most interesting ones are a 69 Camaro and a 69 Chevy factory big block pickup. Rather have my dad but I'm glad to have his cars.

17. Ghost28

Ghost28

When my brother passed away 6 years ago. He left this corvette to my nephew. And to this day, I still have it in my storage for him.

Attached Files:

18. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

you're a lucky boy! treat it with respect and don't fuc# anything up! this is a keeper for life! i have to preserve a O/T 58 triumph TR-3A that i love to death. not HAMB friendly though.

19. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Sorry for your loss. Take care of the cars and don't get ride of them....

This is cool ,At least you got your gandpa's car and not some stranger.

20. TexasDart

TexasDart

With the side logos...I'm guessing 327....409 would say 409...but it could of been swapped out.

21. Doug B

Doug B

Freakin sweet deal! We need more pics ! My brother had a '62 SS convertible 327 4 speed

22. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

I have my Grandfathers 1972 Buick Skylark that he purchased brand new a couple of months before I was born. When he was to old to drive any longer my grandparents on my mothers side bought the car and drove it until they were to old. Then my Grandmother passed it onto me, she said that I was the only grandchild(gearhead) in the family that would take care of the car and preserve it. I felt honored since I was considered over the original siblings. I think some feelings were hurt over it, but O'well.

23. nutajunka

nutajunka

Double Wow on that car, sorry to here about your brother.

24. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet. Enjoy it and thanks for shareing the memories and just Wow!

25. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

I got my grannies '54 Ford when she tipped over in 1964. 6 cyl. with 3 on the tree and overdrive. I threw a rod in it two weks after I got it. I polished the crank with emory cloth, got as close as I could with a undersize bearing shell and drove for a few hunderd more miles. It started knocking bad so we took it up north and used it for partridge hunting on back roads.

26. oh man! great score!

27. Great story . . . restore the car as your Grandpa would like, he'll be watching from above and going for rides!

My uncle brought me his 1934 Ford 4-door for my 15th birthday . . . I later swapped bodies for a 5-window. He just passed away recently and that car means everything to me - I kind of feel like he is watching the work I do on it. I only wish I could "give him a ride" when it is done (it was in storage for 25 years).

28. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

With the plain flags on the fenders it should be a 283, base engine for the year.

29. the logo i believe is Dansby or Berby, or something along those lines, but yes it has the dealer emblem. And my uncle took the motor out and set it in the barn so that it wouldnt sit outside, so between the barn and the field i have every original piece! woo.