Register now to get rid of these ads!

Proto Tools?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigjake, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Bigjake

Bigjake

I recently bought an old Proto roller toolbox at an auction and the quality seems to be very good. Does anyone have any opinions about the hand tools they make? I did a quick search and they still claim to be made in the USA.

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Proto is excellent stuff.

3. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I'd put the older ones above a Craftsman in quality. Haven't seen any new. Used to be a bunch around here before the mills closed up.

Devin

4. Proto is good. At least all the ones I have used I have always been impressed by the quality. Very durable

5. flamed34

flamed34

We still puchase vast amounts of Proto for our Maintenance and Operations teams. Excellent quality, still made in the USA. I can't remember actually having to replace any Proto tools due to damage, and we're pretty rough on 'em!

6. when i worked municipal and had a grainger account, proto was the go-to brand. quality tools, lifetime warranty, inexpensive.

7. Bigjake

Bigjake

I bought myself a big set of Craftsman's about a year or so thinking that they would be the same quality as my Dad's Craftsman set. Now that a year's gone by I'm not impressed to say the least. Wish I had bought Proto's judging by the the comments here.

8. If you look around at swap meets, you can find a fair amount of Proto tools. Most average Joes don't know they are really good tools, so you get them cheap. Same goes for Williams tools.

I buy all I can find. Buying new would be pretty pricey, I would guess.

The Craftsman will do well in the interim, but its nice to have tools that don't break.

9. second_time_around

second_time_around
    from Ohio

if i could'nt afford good tools then I would look at using proto

10. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I have some that I've had for over 35 years. Seems the biggest hazard is losing the damn things. Very nice.

11. 10bucks

10bucks

I have found exactly two brands of wrenches that do not flex on the open ends. Snap on is one, and Proto is the other.

12. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

Proto is good stuff, sometine called Challenger as well .
    Seems it is found more in warehouse and industrial places than automotive .
    I have some that has held up well and would buy it if it was readily availible to me and I dind't already have 3 of everything, I've destroyed plenty of snap on stuff so I never understood why people get their panties in a wad about how great they are plus the vendors REALLy do not want to warrenty it .

13. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Proto is great. I agree with 10bucks on the open end wrench test proto do not flex and slip.

14. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

back when we had mom and pop parts stores around we use to be able to buy proto tools from them and they were damm good tools. i still have a few that i use. they are hard to find where i'm located.

15. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

isn't blackhawk a proto brand? i have a fender protector somewhere that says blackhawk/proto. I know blackhawk went to crap, I think there is a regular line and a pro line , I believe the pro line is made by them. MSC industrial supply carried proto last time I checked, pricey, but you get what you pay for.

16. duste01

duste01

I like my plumb too

17. bob308

bob308

i have proto wrenches at work. i like them. i also have williams on my truck, they are good too.i have my big set of craftsman that i made money with for years. also so throw in some s-k. the only problem i have with craftsman are the ratchets. the ball that holds the socket on keeps breaking.

18. i still have 2 proto rachets I bought in 1966 and a bunch of wrenches they were skinny and didn't feel as nice in your hand as Snap-on and the only sockets that broke were the ones we use to adjust Chrysler torsion bars but that is because we used a breaker bar and a 6' pipe to free them I lost a lot of the over the years. Good tools but haven't seen any in years better than Mac

19. swi66

swi66

I have a Proto torque wrench, clicker type.
    I must have had it 25 years or longer, works fine.

20. hahahahahaha, have you priced proto tools ?
    proto is top notch and very reliable strong tools, china made crap has nothing on proto.
    I also, like an earlier post said, I also would place proto above snap-on and craftsman.

21. LowFat48

LowFat48

Proto is made by Stanley , Blackhawk too.

22. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Ignorant. If you cared to actually learn anything, you'd know that Plomb tools developed the combination open/ box end wrench that we all know today. They changed their name to Proto because of a copyright lawsuit in 1948. Superb quality still used in massive numbers to this day. Go to an oil patch and that's what you'll find the guys using, and they use them hard.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  23. JCShiels

JCShiels

Minor correction guys, Plumb is still in business, the make hammers etc. Plomb is the company that became Proto after they lost a lawsuit brought against them by Plumb. There is a website called Alloy Artifacts that has a lot of great American tool history.

24. as well as Facom, Virax, and HD's Husky (rumors of MAC as well). I think Facom owns S-K which would then pretty much mean that Stanley owns them to some extent. They used to make Craftsman too up into the mid 90s..

Snap-On makes Kobalt (Lowes) but they are not made on the same line as Snap-On or even Blue Point (their other line). There are only 3 or so big players in professional tools and they make the bulk of the good stuff that goes and gets re-labled to your favorite chrome friends.

These tool companies change hands constantly, its better to look at the too than the brand. Alloy steel versus vanadium, machine finishes, tolerances, etc.

My tools aren't brand specific but certain things are. My sockets and ratchets are Snap-On, wrenches are Proto and all the other misc are combinations of everybody else.

25. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

proto body hammers are some of the best quality hammers you can get

26. MSC carries Proto tools and they have a decent sale going on them once in a while. I'm on their mailing list, otherwise never see a sale on them online or even in their showroom, go figure.

Bob

27. crashbox

crashbox

I don't know where Proto tools are made now, or who owns the name. All I know is this: My tools say "Proto-Los Angeles".

28. Plomb, name changed to Proto, are very well made, the older the better, like most things made today....

29. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

30. Happy Hooker

Happy Hooker
    from Wyoming

I would put Proto in the same category as Snap-on or Mac if not a step above.