Register now to get rid of these ads!

Juicing the clutch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dakotajayne, Jan 12, 2010.

1. dakotajayne

dakotajayne
    from 3c1

Ive been entertaining the use of a hydraulic clutch pedal in my '27 modified. I am looking for input on what brand components have been used with success. Also, i have seen hyd. Throwout bearings and like the idea of eliminating the linkage. Let me hear of your experience with these. Many tx.:d

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i used wilwood master and howe racing release bearing..works wonderful.

3. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

I've had success adapting chevy S-10 hyd. setups, but it requires welding on the b.housing(for use with o.e. clutch fork). The wagon(avatar)has wilwood components.

4. Scotch

Scotch

I used an LT1 hydraulic setup on mine with the T56. Sweet deal- uses factory components (if you keep the LT1 bell or go to an SFI unit like McLeod has) and pedal pressure is 'just right' - not a calf-buster like a heavy mechanical unit or too mushy like some lightweight econo car (and Ford mini truck) units I've driven. The S10 setup feels very similar.

Check out www.t56kit.com for swap info if you're going with a T56.

McLeod also offers an aftermarket hyd throwout setup I've heard good things about, but I haven't used it myself.

5. shifts

shifts

If you're using a sbc, I'm using a bellhousing, hyd slave & master off a 84 ish camaro. DAVE

6. Spud

Spud
    from Ohio

I used the complete setup out of a 85 chevy truck.

7. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I used a setup from a 1962 Chevy truck... ;)

8. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

No first hand knowledge but have heard that the hydraulic t.o. bearings are a bit....uh, unreliable. But, the repies above seem all quite right.

9. On Henrietta the '38 Ford pickup, 307 Chevy and T-5 5 speed from an S-10, I used the master cylinder and slave cylinder from a '70's Mazda pickup. Just fabricate a bracket to mount the slave cylinder where it can operate the original mechanical clutch fork. Works great, pedal effort is about right (not stiff, but neither does it feel like the pedal is not connected to anything).

10. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

I had 3 wilwood masters and everyone of them leaked through the boot ,and no I did not have any sideload or such. I'm now going with a tilton master (same overall dimensions so perfect replacement) and so far so good, but really too soon to tell. Oh and mind you the wilwoods were leaking after like 35-40 pedal pumps. I haven't even driven my car yet and they were doing this. Wilwood was great so far as replacing them, but enough was enough.

11. ClassicDriver

ClassicDriver

I have a question about the hydraulic master cylinder reservoir..... I understand that the reservoir should be the highest part of the system. But could you use a residual pressure valve like those in brake systems that have the brake master cylinder under the floor instead of mounting a remote reservoir? That way I could simple use the reservoir on the clutch master cylinder and keep the system completely under the floor. In my set up the clutch master is lower than the hydraulic throw out bearing.