Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Banger is dead - long live the Banger. 2010's first banger thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stovebolt, Dec 31, 2009.

1. andyg

andyg

short video of the banger running. if you go to youtube the picture is bigger...may be easier to see.

2. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

SWEET... Email works for me [email protected] or pm me and I will give you my work fax # if that is better for you
    thanks Troy
    Bill

3. andyg

andyg

here's an experimental video of me driving. sorry about the quality. it's about 11 minutes long also....

here's one that describes the car in general...that's Motor Wheel Corp too...i said it wrong in the vid. they are for my better half Angela's 32 pickup.

4. jim galli

jim galli

Andy, Made my day. Those Buick guages are gorgeous.

5. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Thanks for the ride... I think I am car sick now
    very cool later Bill

6. andyg

andyg

i tried to warn you!:eek: are you working on a new motor? what do you have planned for it?

7. andyg

andyg

there are close up pics of them in my photo album. they are mounted upside down in the panel and then the panel is mounted upside down in the dash. stewart warner made a tach that looks to match them very close in every way except no white vertical lines inside.....i'll be looking for one of those..:)..if anyone sees one please pm me.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  8. 4bangertroy

4bangertroy
    from Phoenix

Cool videos Andy. Car sounds and looks great. Gotta love the torque.

Troy

9. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I picked up a nice B. I need to pick out pistons and a cam I got 1.73 in. and 1.625 ex. valves for it and I wount to make a new intake for 2 94s and then I will put a 5 speed behind it and drive the shit out of it :) I am up in the air with the flywheel cut down stock or alum.

10. Thanks for the vids Andy. That was fun, and what a great car you have.

11. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Troy I show every one your utube video of you driving out of you backyard

12. andyg

andyg

LOL!!!!!!!!!! I do too...that's my inspiration!:D:D:D I claim at least a hundred of the 10,000 hits on that video! :D

Maybe a new cam will help get me closer! What cam are you running again Troy? Any port work or combustion chamber work? What size lifter foot too?......ok sorry if i'm too nosey.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  13. andyg

andyg

If you want good babbit and you know what you want...just order the bars yourself and send them to the babbit shop with your motor. McMaster-Carr and others are sources for whatever formula of babbit you want. I don't recall if Ford's formula is for sure known or not, but there are plenty of people with experience that can tell you what kind of babbit is the best for these motors.

One thing to remember is that a "Model B" motor has pressure to the crank journals. That makes a difference I think. Someone asked earlier in the thread "what's the difference between a model a and a model b motor?"

Well that is one major difference. Others are "B's" have bigger rod and crank journals, along with the cam profile differences, etc already mentioned.

I meant to post this sooner but got busy with the vids. SO, it may be that you can get away with a little more compression on a B just because you have pressure to the mains.

14. First off thanks for the welcome back Bill. Andy that B sounds smooth man. I dig it and can't get enough of those videos man. Too much fun. Me and a buddy have been cruising my A and his T around town a bit. Have had alot of comments, thumbs up, and is that thing legal questions. Yes its legal. I have passed many CHP now along with Sheriffs. Granted if I get pulled over I got a leg up on most. Lets just say I have state friends with old cars also.

I told a few people that once I got the master cylinder in I would post some pictures. Well here they are. The bracketry is primitive and will need refining in the future along with all the linkages but for now they will suffice. It bolts down with 2 of the transmission top bolts. The lines exit out the left side and then I bent them by hand to make clearance for the battery. It took alot of work to find a 12 volt battery that would work. I went quite a few places. Costco finally had the best fit with a um well.... honda civic battery as it was told to me by the tireshop manager. Stock battery tray is retained with no modifications, master cylinder has pressure switch out of the bottom, and my e-brake required no modifications besides splitting the e-brake handle rod and running it through a later model brake rod holder. I attached it to your standard e-brake hardware u connector. If anyone wants I will get pictures of that to post up if needed. Battery has quite a bit of cranking amps and a 3 year warranty. So without further adue here is the visual.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  15. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

In this video, at 1:09 there's me in my tub skinning a V8 in the Flathead Meltdown...:cool:

16. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

darren ,
    boy your car is fast ! didnt get to see the motor tho . got pix ? ... steve

17. oldtime

oldtime

Hi, I been lurking here for a while, my first car was a banger, been gathering parts for another one. Reading this months thread, I remembered something. Is there anyone here that's grey enough around the muzzle to remember the article in I think Car Craft in '64 or 5. A guy in So-Cal was building a home made banger, it was of fabricated steel construction welded together, there were pictures of the block, I remember it was a flathead, does anyone rmember this, if so was it ever finished? If I remember right it was going to be around 300 cubic inches.

Thanks, Old Time

18. Just watched the videos you guys posted. Fun to watch, Thanks for taking the time to post them. Andy I really like your roadster, You mentioned a Lion Head you had on your car. Do you plan on using it again, what would it take to get it not to ping?

19. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Andy - great videos, and a bitchin 32 too.

Thanks for posting them

20. oj

oj

Last month i posted some pics of a 4 valve motor and have recieved permission to post pics of the car etcetc, it is at a restoration shop and i needed to double-check with them.
    If you have questions, post 'em and i'll find out. If you need pics of specific things just ask. These are pics from disassembly. Prior to disassemble Mike started the engine for the first time in decades and he has it posted soemwhere on u-tube, if you want i'll get the link for you, again, just ask or pm me.

Attached Files:

21. oj

oj

A few more

Attached Files:

22. oj,

THANK YOU FOR SHARING!!! That Laurel is great- please post the video of the engine running if you can find it!

What is the history of the car?

23. oj

oj

I'm sorry guys, the pic of the 'red' engine isn't the one in the car. It is probably a referance pic from another car and was included with the pics i received.
    Mac, i don't know the history. But i'll find out. Later, oj

24. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Thanks Andy!:D Man do those videos make me want to get my ass in gear on my 32!

25. donrodin

donrodin

hot dog!! great posts the past couple days. thanks for all the videos!!

26. Tomcats30

Tomcats30

To everyone running a fuel pump and regulator on a banger.
    Where did you mount a fuel pressure gauge?
    If you have a pic that would be great.

Great info this month!

27. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Mine stays in my tool box. :rolleyes:
    I fit it when I playing around with fuel pressure - just add it to the fuel line near the carb - then remove it when I'm happy with the psi.

28. Elrod

Elrod

Someone recently had posted something about running a Modern 12V fuel pump from a Nissan or a Toyota that already had a factory 2-3 lbs of pressure only and looked kind of like a fuel filter. In-line application. Anyone remember that? Considering something like this that I can hide on the frame rail or something. Advise?

29. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Mine is a late 31
    [​IMG]

Not the safest but you cant tell I have a pump

30. 97

I think you are talking about a Honda pump, but they are hardly a modern pump nowdays...they were for carburetted cars...

Facet solid state pump is the smallest ( less than 3 " in any direction) and most easily hidden, they have just bought out a new version called posiflow,

available from OReilly's , under 45 bucks

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=PUR&MfrPartNumber=PRO04SV&CategoryCode=3339K

http://www.facet-purolator.com/images/technology/hd_pdfs/Posi-Flo_sheet.pdf

Aircraft Spruce has the old version for about 28 bucks.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010