Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recovering a barn find in 10 degree weather.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PUNK RODDER, Jan 11, 2010.

1. PUNK RODDER

PUNK RODDER
    from KC, MO.

A good friend of ours, John from IA gives us a call to go check on an old Ford for him to see if it was worth purchasing.
    So my buddies, Dave and COS head out this last Sunday in the a.m. in 10 degree weather to recover this car for him. Well it was a journey and we definately have a story to share while sitting around bench racing years down the road.

So we get our old Chevy ramp truck started up and ready to go after she has been in a deep sleep from these freezing days.

[​IMG]

Almost to our destination, heading through hicktown, Dave states "Are those sirens?" "What the hell are we getting pulled over for?"

[​IMG]

Sure enough.....Looks like the cop was pissed to be working on a Sunday in 10 degree weather and we must've looked like some hoodlums driving through his town in our old rig. He states we were speeding in a 30 MPH zone. For God's sake I think we have to be in 3rd gear to get that truck up to 30 MPH!!! It has a Granny gear, a Granfather gear and a stubborn Mother in law gear before she gets up to speed.
    Well we get our papers together and then he informs us that the insurance card has expired like a week earlier. Oh Jesus, he wants all of our ID's now. Of course we shut off the truck and wait. He comes back up and we all must've been clear, (Course havin COS sitting in your front seat could mean any sour outcome when coming up on the law) But he just said "Slow it down when going through our town."
    Well we definately were not gonna set any records when we went to leave....The damn truck wouldn't start. After some cable finesse and cleaning we got a good connection and fired back up.

[​IMG]

So now we get to our destination and it is time to see what we really have out in the sunlight, a '35 Ford coupe.

[​IMG]

It is pretty much unmolested and looks right at home on the back of the old ramp truck.

[​IMG]

So luckily the haul back to our garage was less eventful with no pigs or a chain snapping or something stupid that John's '35 is laying in the middle of the highway. Now it sits in all our glory to see what kind of bargain John really got here and start evaluating this ride back at our garage.

Supposidly now, John is the 4th owner of this car and the second owner had owned it from 1939 until last year. It has not been driven in 30 years but the old man that owned it would go out to the barn, take out the plugs and oil the cylinders and rotate the engine every year. So the engine turns over very freely and I think we can get this thing running with a little attention.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We had a lot of fun going and getting this car and hauling her home. Yeah it was 10 degrees and we froze our asses off, but it sure helped the drive of our love for hot rodding through the long cold winter months.

Hope John is as excited as we were when he finally gets to set his eyes on it next month and realize just what he really bought when he comes down to get it.

2. so wet dreams do come true !!!! i'll be more than happy to come and take it off your hands.!!!

3. DiabloMann

DiabloMann
    from colorado

Man thats cool that you got pics to go along with your story with the cop and all. Nice ramp truck too!

4. damn nice lil coupe, I like yer hauler too, those rear bumper guards on the coupe look like 49-52 Chevy.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010

5. cold...I ment cool...ramp truck and the find...

6. I always gotta ask... How much??

7. moon man

moon man
    BANNED

great story thanks for the pics, they are still out there.....

8. Ebert

Ebert

Thanks for sharing and i love the ramp truck!

9. The "Hot-N-Ready" truck in the background of the first pic is pretty ironic, lol. Cool ramp truck, cool score.

10. hvychvy

hvychvy

Wow,thanks for the cool story,glad you made it back with no issues.Awesome car!!

11. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Love the wire wheels on that body. Just clean it up and drive it. Nice find.

Keep those old champ plugs they kool.

12. B1RDMAN

B1RDMAN

awesome find, I got my car the father of the guy I bought it from purchased it new. I am the Third owner. Thats cool you found that best of luck with it. Looks like its all there too.

13. screwball

screwball

the pic of the coupe on the truck looks kinda like old auto sex.

14. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

I think I like the truck more! haha. Pretty sweet.

15. MBog

MBog

I'm jealous, nice car. I'd drive it as is, after cleaning it up of course......

16. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

17. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Thats what friends are for! I'd have a hell of a time getting guys out in anything less than 60 degrees.

18. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

great story and great photos. thank you for sharing.

19. funner than watching football on sunday!!! i was waiting for the cop to get pissed and change his mind with eric out taking all the pics !

20. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

'35 coupe is one of my favorites. You did good, congratulations. :cool:

21. LabRat

LabRat

Indeed !

22. badnews 31

badnews 31

23. von zipper

von zipper

Great story to look back and laugh at! The car looks like the one The Three Stooges drove as firemen!!

24. Wow! What a beaut! Where was that and why didn't I find it first?!

25. solid

solid

Great car. That ramp truck looks handy.

26. Kurto

Kurto

Nice find fellas. That ramp truck is pretty neat too!

27. fireball350

fireball350

Great find. Thanks for the story.

28. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Great story, great find & a great car.

29. duste01

duste01

great story, I'm sure there is more....

30. bob308

bob308

looks good.

on the way home going south on 81. i passed a truck with a 40 williys coup on it looked about like your ford condition wise. here i thought they were all made into gassers years sgo.