Register now to get rid of these ads!

how will this setup run?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tigerShark, Jan 11, 2010.

1. tigerShark

tigerShark
    from Tampa Bay

This is a low buck 460 ford build. stock D3 block, internals and heads. thermactor bumps ground down. straight up timing set. isky 270 mega cam(542/.542 lift,270/270 adv duration, 232/232 @ .50 and LSA is 108). offy port-o-sonic. c6, stock converter, 8.8 with 3.73 gears and limited slip. open zoomie type headers. this will going in a '29 ford model a closed cab pickup.

is that maybe too much lift on the cam? how bout carb, fuel pump, distributor suggestions?
    thanks in advance for the ideas and suggestions. feel free to tell me itll run like shit if thats the case.
    <!-- / message --> <!-- edit note -->

2. ChevyRat

ChevyRat

Cam does not seem to be to much for a big block with that set up. What is your goal with it (Just Cruise)?

3. tigerShark

tigerShark
    from Tampa Bay

i wanted a real lopey idle but not if its gonna kill the overall performance. itll be for cruising but id like to be able to open it up on the back roads and do burnouts if i want.

4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

A 460 in a Model A and your worried about power? A stock 460 in a Model A I would think would be plenty of power AND weight. Not my first choice for a model A as far as powerplants. Before the police nail me.....not my car though. Lippy

5. Nimrod

Nimrod

It sounds like a lot of cam for a motor with stock heads, compression, and torque converter. I'd probably pick a milder cam, or at least run a converter with more stall (I think I actually have both a 2400 and a 3000 rpm converter in my barn from my old roadster when I was running a C6). My 460 ran good with a 650 Holley double pumper, up to a 750 would be fine but not really needed on a street car. I used an Edelbrock mechanical fuel pump and a stock points distributor with a Pertronix electronic conversion.

And personally I wouldn't run the Zoomies unless you really have you're heart set on them, they'll rob power and can be hard on valves.

-Jeff Aldrich

6. tigerShark

tigerShark
    from Tampa Bay

thanks for the info nimrod. what type of lift, duration and lobe separation do you think i can get away with with these heads. what about the convertor. at what point will i need an upgrade?
    would a lakes style header better?

7. lowelife

lowelife

probably too much cam for stock heads. try going to car crafts site they usually have some really good build sheets on motors and they're already dynoed

8. It's not going to lope at all, you didn't say whether you put flat top pistons in it or the year of the engine but I'm suspecting it's a 8.5 to 1 engine. Flat top pistons will boost that up to 9 to one and with stock heads you can expect 250 to 350 HP with a ton of torque (around 400 lb ft). that should blow your hair back. 460s like cams with about that amount of lift and equal profiles, so rais your compression and you will be OK for a street engine. My .02

9. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

the intake is not really a street type intake, I always say open plenum but from experience port o sonic prefers upper RPM's BUT it's a BB in a very light car so you will not notice IF it does hurt low end which you'll have more than enough of .If you have it use it if not go with a WEIND stealth . Not a fan of zoomies for above stated reasons. .
    get yourself a mild converter for idle purposes . even an 1800-2200 will be fine .
    It's going to like soem carb on it, since it's street I think a 770 avenger will suit ,
    Dist,/ingnition . I do not see that setup needing anything exotic. Old points dist with pertronix and good coil will work fine and maitain some old look to it.
    A stock replacement from a 4bbl motor , a carter HP mechanical or bling it up with a MR.Gasket chromie . no need for electric pump here, keep old look and wiring to a minimum
    Just my thoughts

10. I run about he same set up only with an airgap, 850 cfm carb and DOVE-C heads in a 3600lb car, turns mid 12s.

11. tigerShark

tigerShark
    from Tampa Bay

yeah, the internals are stock. what makes you say it wont lope at all?

12. tigerShark

tigerShark
    from Tampa Bay

what cam are you running?

13. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

I have read this thread and see a mix of good and bad advice. First there is no such thing as a D3 block. There are D3 heads. I recomend that you take this motor build over to the 460 forum. Try WWW.460ford.com and please do not put together a pile of parts just because you have them. This is what gives the Ford motors a bad reputation.
    Van

14. von Dyck

von Dyck

Ford cams always look too big in the eyes of Chev lovers. Ford engines are designed with large diameter cam bearings and journals, so cam grinders can grind in a high lift profile while maintaining a reasonable duration profile. 232 duration @ .050 is not an outrageous duration for a 460CID in a Model A.

15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

If your gonna hang a big piece of pig iron out there in the front of that model A and insist on making it an ill handling slug, at least put a hemi or a bb chev in it so you will have some power. :D:D:p

16. tigerShark

tigerShark
    from Tampa Bay

yeah, i have a thread going there too. thought id see what my fellow hambers thought about it.

17. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Tiger, I apologize for the slam on the Ford engine. I was kidding.:) The 460 is a good engine. A buddy put a 390 in his A roadster and had the firewall back a ton. I was just trying to figure out how you got a 460 in there! Lippy