Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you get thet washed out LOOK

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by inkdaddy, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fuel

fuel

You know what's funny? NO ONE ever bitches at the Rolling Bones guys for distressing their rides yet some unknown guy wants to do the same thing and everyone dogpiles the poor SOB. Freaking hypocrites.

Personally, I like the Rolling Bones style of distressed paint, but you know what? I also like shiny black paint or heavy metal flake or watson style paintjobs. It just depends on the car.

2. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

if you can find the back issue of STREET ROD BUILDER march 08 issue shows a step by step on patina paint and lettering. it is done by a shop called HI SPEED RODS & CUSTOMS they are located in tucson az. phone 520-623-1973

george

www.hispeedcustoms.com

3. 64Olds

64Olds

Well, i like the "Wore" look, I mean, its kinda nice to see something different, especially to give the car a grungy look to it, kinda cool. I personally like "Rat Rods" but when it comes to cars im a very open minded person because everyone has different taste's and ways to express themselves through the art of a car. But thats just my opinion, Idk, but ive heard of people airbrushing to get the look, ive heard of over wet sanding like someone said earlier, im sure sandpaper and scotchbrite does the job too haha.

4. inkdaddy

inkdaddy
    from FLA

Thank you very MUCH!! DAM didnt mean to get ya'lls Dickies in a knot!
    Just got me an old truck with a half ass worn out piant job anyway.
    Just want to know how to f it up sum more. Its just a driver so I want to have fun with it. PS I allready have a SINEY ONE THANKS!!!!

5. iagsxr

iagsxr

Hey man, thanks for starting this thread. Been wondering the same thing 'cept I had a pretty good idea how it'd be recieved here:rolleyes:

I've got an old truck with plenty of real patina that I need to do some rust repair on the doors and rockers. My concern is making those areas the rest of the truck when they're done.

6. rustyhood

rustyhood

Different strokes for different folks. it looks like someone soaked an oil rag and rubbed the truck down and got video cam. Although I was in Texas visiting my son last year.
    I seen some really kewl rods with old faded paint but had fresh old school pinstripe. Just like flat black rods with flames. Not every rod is built for car show, they are built to drive and meet awesome HAMB members!:D

7. lazyazz

lazyazz
    from Alberta

Isn't the phrase "traditional hot rod" an oxymoron???

traditional
    adjective 1. oldfashioned, old, established, conventional, standard, fixed, usual, transmitted, orthodox, accustomed, customary, ancestral, long-established, unwritten, time-honoured, unadventurous

-- a car modified to increase its speed and acceleration

-- Hot rods are typically American cars with large engines modified for linear speed. Nobody knows for sure the origin of the term "hot rod. ...

-- A car modified to run faster, especially one based on a pre-1960s model

-- A normal vehicle that has been altered to improve speed and overall appearance or look.

8. decayed40

decayed40

this one was started about 70 years ago and its finally at that good really worn thru look that you speak of! old farmer welds and all! honestly i feel it would be a shame to pait this . although ive thought about it. it would make more sence to just build another and keep this the way it is:)

Attached Files:

9. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

rothflmao!

10. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Yeah you squares,fucked up is the new flat black!
    Seems to me although its not my bag,patina,like respect,should be earned and admired,not faked and worn like a designer t-shirt
    Paul

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  11. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Spider web it. That'll get these guys ALL assed up.
    I must admit however, patinad fiberglass makes me want to see if ittl hold a sixpack and halfa pizza every time.

12. I like shiny and I like patina and I like primer. It all depends on the vehicle. I'm in the same place you are with your truck. Personally, paint and body work is not my forte and I'm really can't afford to go with shiny new paint right now. I'm looking at my own "half ass worn out paint job" and wondering about options too. I'm with you, really I just want to have fun with the damned thing.

Some folks do get a little uptight around here, don't they?

13. LMAO! Now, theoretically a 60 year old Woodhill Wildfire w/ original 'glass body could conceivably have real patina, or even an early vette...just no rust.

14. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

now this would be hard to fake.
    [​IMG]

15. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

I put catalyzed red oxide primer on my 34 back in 92, havent worried about bugs, chips or road rash since. I have re-primered some thin spots when I finally got around to it. It's my choice, do what you like and don't worry about the other guy.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I stay up way too late, and get up early for about two weeks, skip the shave for some time, and don't comb my hair. Wearing my shop clothes in public helps too.

...oh, you mean paint.

17. Fuck yeah, run it without oil for a while too while you're at it, so it SOUNDS worn out. I've got a rusty, runs like shit truck that's probably worth MILLIONS!

18. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

go for it! if you like it that's all that counts. i've seen many jobs like that and they looked O K. if the right person posted this question there would be ass kissers coming out of the wood work to say how kool it is.

19. Hey, I like shiny paint too. But nice "patina" is way cool! I'd do it again in a heart beat! It's your car and your $$. This "trend" has to be a reaction, at least in part, to those high $$ custom built rides that are way outa reach for many (most?) people. And those "trailer queens" ya see at the Barret-Jackson circus tells us some folks have way too much $$ to play with! Beautiful cars yes, but how can ya pay $$$$$$ for some over built tri five Chevy? Ya wonder if those fat middle age guys who seem to populate the auctions ever turn a wrench? Or do they just collect these things like art objects!
    Give me a patina job anyday - real or faux! No matter!
    I WANT ATTITUDE!

20. BLAKE

BLAKE

This thread is really, really dumb.

21. luckyuhaul

luckyuhaul

Ever have your primer spotted, orange peeled, scratched up car painted?
    Well, I have, the guy took it to bare metal, block sanded, two toned my '57 Chevy model 150. Mixed clear in with the red and did the roof and trunk gm #11 white. Wet sanded and buffed, the thing was show quality. This was 20 years ago and he did it for $600. He said his Dad said he should have charged $1200, and he was right.
    I figured on a quick scuff and shoot, Maaco style. Anyway, the car BECAME the paint job. Water spots, tire splash, etc. now became big deals before cruising. Gotta look its' best, ya know? It got old cleaning and polishing real fast.
    I sold it to a stock-broker in Boca Raton for top dollar, it still made the garage smell like fresh paint when it left.
    Lesson learned - "be careful what you wish for."

22. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

The problem with fake patina is that it's FAKE. Rolling Bones or unknowns, it's still FAKE. Fake is gay. Period. End of story. The Rolling Bones can get away with it because they have such cool cars, gay fake patina aside. Take those Rolling Bones cars and put fake gay sbc engines in them with chinese chrome air cleaners and valve covers on 'em and see how many people are swinging on their nuts.

This is just one man's opinion. Everybody is certainly allowed to do whatever they want. And I'm allowed to laugh at you and your fake paint job. Why someone would want to put "shiny paint type work effort" into a fucked up paint job is totally beyond me. Several layers of different colors? This is retarded.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  23. theczking

theczking

I was gonna respond But your post said it for me

24. rdemilt

rdemilt
    from so florida

How true this statement is.

Rick

25. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Unfortunately it works. Ive been at the Bonneville unorganized car show at the Nugget during Speed Week and watched people walk right by a perfect 32 to go nuts over some phoney shit box that all rusty & has a small block Chevy with Olds valve covers on it that they dont even notice with 3-2s on it and plates under 2 of the carbs. There area lot of nice genuine nature aged cars there too. Glass cars with rust make me nuts as does anything with a SBC in it!

26. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

Personally I don't mind fake patina, done correctly and tastefully on the right vehicle, as long as it's portrayed as being fake. I've painted 100's of cars and get tired of looking at perfect or someones not so perfect paint work. The same old stuff bores me, different approaches to what people think looks good makes my brain work a little, and most of the time gives me a good laugh.

27. nickleone

nickleone

I believe that the TV show TRUCKS is going to do a spot on Patina how to, sometime this week. I get to see the show on sunday morning in the Denver CO area on Dish Network.

Nick

28. westex_rat

westex_rat
    from Snyder, TX

some of the guys on here just need to be slapped around a lil, instead of offering help you pulled the pecker out of your hands long enough to type your dumbass opinion, NEXT TIME just stfu and help people instead of bein the jesse james wannabe's that you are, It comes down to your car, there is probably a bunch of lessons on youtube or you could just search faux patina paint on the web and come up with a bunch of stuff

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

attitude from a newb with rat in his name. Maybe you need to go back to your rat rod forums? fake is fake and rats are stupid.

30. EagleFreek

EagleFreek
    from Not Here

Man I love this place!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.