Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage GNRS-3 weeks away-Places To Be???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustombuick, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Kustombuick

Kustombuick

Boones and I are flying down on Thursday morning and staying till Sunday afternoon. We are staying at the Sheraton at the Fairplex for easy show access. I think we are doing the show Friday afternoon and Saturday and doing touristy things Thursday and Sunday. We want some ideas of shops/museums/sights to see. On past trips we have been to the following places:

NHRA Museum-Pomona
    Petersen Museum-Los Angeles
    So-Cal Speed Shop-Pomona
    Old Crow Speed Shop-Burbank
    Hollywood HotRods-Burbank
    Mooneyes-Santa Fe Springs
    Foose Design-Huntington Beach
    Art Christman-Santa Ana
    Early Ford Store-San Dimas
    Bobs Big Boy-Burbank

We are going to hit afew of these again and also want to do :

Nethercut Collection-Sylmar
    Justice Brothers Museum-Duarte
    Walden Speed Shop-Pomona
    Circle City HotRods-Orange
    Donut & Anti-Donut Derelicts-Huntington Beach

Any other suggestions on places to see on Thursday - Sunday ???Any Shop Partys,Cruise-ins??? Im sure alot of out-of-towners would like to know...Alan

2. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

BTT, come on folks. what are the places to be seen...

3. The trip is a complete waste with out hittin the BROILER in Downey........... jmo!

Attached Files:

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

5. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

When in San Dimas at the Early Ford Store, take a walk down Bonita Ave,
    Roadys diner (great old style diner)

San Dimas Hardware (real old style hardware store with everything etc.)

and several antique store (Bonita Antiques has a great TIKI section)

you can even drop your lady off a V.I.P. salon (great eye candy working in there for us to)

6. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

C.W. Moss is in old town Orange, not far from Circle City Hot Rods.

If you stop at the Kennedy Bros Shop, make it a short visit, they are working all the time if they are there.

I recommend a couple of hours for the Nethercutt Museum, it's worth it.

Buy some parts from the Early Ford Store, and don't be afraid to ask, they have it somewhere.

7. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

[​IMG]

I am counting days until get to the GNRS and get my EC mitts on one of those juicy delites

8. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

AL,I should have known, you would be were there is food ..when are you getting there ...

9. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I don't know if he's doing anything but you could try to check out Brad Mastersons place
    it's the old Barris Shop in Lynwood...its pretty cool to see the old shop..

10. Terry O

Terry O

Might want to call he shops before you drop in. Move in for the GNRS (inside) is Thursday and anybody with a booth or car entered will probably be at the show for set up.

Terry

11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

The Tom McIntyre Collection is definitely worth a visit! I will PM his contact info.
    Nice guy, awesome collection!

Also, I'm not sure what's going on at Dean Jeffrie's shop. I drove by there in June and the sign was taken down, looked like some work was being done. Hopefully the sign being down was only temporary! I'll PM you his shop # and address.

Sounds like you guys have a great trip and stops lined up again... have fun!!

Malcolm

12. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

13. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Just be careful guys. The In-N-Out in Pomona on Garey Ave is in a pretty shitty neighborhood.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  14. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Oh yeah. Check out Antique Row in Pomona on 2nd Street. Lot's of cool old stores with bitchin old collectibles in them.

15. hershambob

hershambob

we are doin friday at gnrs,then driving to turlock for sat,then back down sat eve for long beach swap on sunday morn then back to gnrs in the afternoon,

16. CHOP36

CHOP36

I go along with Poofus1929. We were out there for the swap meet in 1999 a stayed at the motel across from IN & OUT and it was bad then.

17. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I went by Jefferies shop two days just north of the Hollywood Bowl and it looks the same as it has for a long time. Locked up gates and zero vehicles...

18. You guys talkin about the one in Claremont by the claremont Inn?? stayed there for years no problem.........

19. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

It was pretty much that way when we visited him during the GNRS last year. He told me to just call ahead and he'd open the gate up for us. Seems like the only vehicle outside was a '70s Ford Pickup (I think?). The Mini Cooper that he usually drives was sitting inside the shop.

20. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

No. We are talking about the one in Pomona on Garey Ave and the 60 freeway. I live in Chino which is right next to Pomona and I try to avoid Pomona at all cost. It is ghetto as hell. I only go to the Fairplex. That's it.

21. Kustombuick

Kustombuick

Thanks everyone and keep the ideas coming. In N Out is a givin...always craving it and the picture posting doesnt help...Alan

22. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

WOW, The Nethercutt, CircleCity and Pomona all in the same weekend....you two are brave. We're heading to the Nethercutt as well. Really looking forward to it.

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like it's right up Megan and mine's alley.

23. John Denich

John Denich

what day were you heading to the Nethercutt? My Dad is coming out and I want to take him there? any day but Thursday;)

24. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

You bet! And it is in Pomona, even better! Added to the itinerary!

25. Nethercutt is awesome. Be sure to take the tour and to do that you have to call ahead.

26. HanelineJake

HanelineJake

check out this calendar for other shows and cruise nights in the area.

http://www.socalcarculture.com/events.html

Donut Derelicts is a good call. Cars and Coffee in Irvine is a similar type of gathering, but more late model stuff.

You're welcome to come by Haneline and see our shop too. Aside from our gauges and engine turning shop, we have a growing collection of classic dashes and instrument clusters. It'd be a good idea to call first during the week of the show. We'll have a skeleton crew at the shop on Thursday afternoon and all of Friday that week.

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Shit, I feel like there is too much to see and far to little time!! I am going to hit Peterson Museum, GNRS, NHRA Museum and perhaps some other things but it really all depends on how I am getting around.

28. Don't forget Limey Steve's shop - Limeworks in Whittier

29. Racewriter

Racewriter

Great info. It looks like the wifey will be able to get vacation squared away so we can fly in Saturday morning and fly back home Wednesday. For the race fans, I'd point out that Irwindale Speedway is having the NASCAR Camping World Shootout Saturday night. Our plan - fly in, hit GNRS until we have to leave for the races. Show again on Sunday, then hit rod shops and museums Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday morning. Priceline lists some excellent rates in the Ontario area, and I haven't yet done the 'name your own price' for this trip because I'm waiting on the OK from wifey.

30. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

I know of a great little European auto museum over in Sherman oaks if anybodys interested in that I'll dig up the address..