Register now to get rid of these ads!

backwards gauges?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Karl Fields, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Karl Fields

Karl Fields

So my original plan was to take out the crusty old non-working Lucas dash gauges, remove the square face plates and graft them onto new units. Well in my mind it should have worked just fine!

Tore apart the first one and was actually surprised at how well it was going. Should fit back in the pod cluster just fine with the new inner workings.

Then it struck me! All the original gauges are marked backwards. Temp had hot to the left, fuel full to the left, volts had charge on the left and oil preasure had high on the left.

I know the fuel guage can work backwards simply in the hookup. Can the other electric ones do this also?

If I have to rescreen the old faces it will be a PITA and don't even know if I'm good enough to do a decent job of it.

Any help out there?

2. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Clean them up and reuse them. The old reverse gauges are cool.

3. Karl Fields

Karl Fields

Yes, new movements using original faces.

The guages I got are 180 sweep, as are the originals. Figured it would be close enough without any fancy recalibration.