Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs ***Customs With Radiused Rear Wheel Openings...I Think I Want To Do Mine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BloodyKnuckles, Jan 10, 2010.

1. 5w32

5w32

sold this one....kick myself now!......this is the barris built 53 stude chopped roadster with radiused wheelwells , george saw the car and said it was built in 54 and sam painted it

Attached Files:

2. ragtop35

ragtop35

a another couple of pictures. Taken at the LA Roadster Show a while back.

Attached Files:

• 036.jpg
      036.jpg
      File size:
      484 KB
      Views:
    • 037.jpg
      037.jpg
      File size:
      351.2 KB
      Views:
  3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I think it could be done but not at the extremes that we normally thing of radius-ing wheel wells.
    What I started doing first was lengthening the rear fenderby bringing the front part forward so that it starts closer to the middle of the back window. This I think visually lengthens the entire car and makes it seem less stubby. The lower rocker guard will then need to be shortened as now it runs right into the quarter.

I then took the front fender radius' and recreated them out back but reversed so that from front to back they are mirrored (i.e where the front fender rolls out at the back the rear quarter rolls up front). So basically the front and rear wheel wells are of the same shape only reversed. When doing it like that I think the rear wheel well only raises it's reveal by an inch or two so that it's more like the front but not a typical radius that we are used to. I think this keeps the early to mid 50's feel and actually looks pretty rad on the car.

I think you'll need to get a couple '51 fenders to lengthen the rear quarters and then by using round bar you can form it so that it matches the front and transfer to the back and roll the lips in as they are done from the factory.

[​IMG]

4. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the w/o radiusing articles from Valley customs that are posted on Rik's site.

Hopefully these are helpful. Radiusing a w/o meant revealing the entire wheel and tire, not changing the shape of a w/o to a diffent but similar shape.

5. Man, some of you guys are right. Radiused quarters only look good on gassers and sectioned cars. I mean, look at this piece of junk . . . .

[​IMG]

6. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

mine...

Attached Files:

7. 50shoe

50shoe

[​IMG]

like was mentioned above... keep the radius the same. it works.

although I dig those galaxie openings on that flamed shoebox!

and I know where a galaxie is in a local yard... oh damn!

8. ragtop35

ragtop35

Here is a truck that my buddy Billy owned a while back. A little different look.

Attached Files:

9. Umm, I think he was looking for encouragement on doing radiused wheel openings. You're not helping.

10. McPhail

McPhail

hahaha!

11. If I do decide to radius them I will make the front and rear the same. I really think radiused wheel openings look great on customs.

I would love some more examples.

I really appreciate all the replies so far so keep them coming.

BloodyKnuckles

12. ragtop35

ragtop35

Another

Attached Files:

13. I had a '62 'Bird coupe done like that. Used front fenders for the flares.

14. ragtop35

ragtop35

Another

Attached Files:

15. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

I guess I'm one of the very few that really don't like those open wheel-arches at all. They totally break the good body lines some cars have. On some cars I almost think it just looks plain stupid, but hey, luckily it's just my opinion. I'm a Chrysler-guy.
    I think it's like saying 'Hey have you seen my wheels, I especially cut-up my rear-fenders for everyone to see them'.

16. ragtop35

ragtop35

Some cars look good but its not for everybody for sure

Attached Files:

17. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo........................................

You're car looks awesome as is. Don't ruin possibly one of the only cool kustom Plymouths!!!!!!!!!

18. Thanks alot man. I don't know about it being one of the only but I do appreciate the compliment.

BloodyKnuckles