Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. CincyKen, the pic of the Oakey #5 was captioned 1966 @ Tampa. If I find anymore,
    I'll post the info.
    mlight9.

2. racer5c

racer5c

I would assume it's this one

Attached Files:

3. MIDGET-RACER18

MIDGET-RACER18

got it, just saw that car 2 yrs ago,and was surprised that it had independent front suspension

4. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

Josh, came by to say hi at the Cavalcade yesterday, but I missed ya. I gotta say your area was by far the best part, and the sprinter looks awesome. Great paint and lettering. First time I've seen the Sub in person, you don't realize how low it is in photos. The workmanship is amazing. Good job getting that in the show, and on the thrash to get the sprinter there.

P.S.- If I'd remembered to bring my camera, you would all see what I'm talking about. That ADD kicks in at the worst...

5. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Bobby Marshman lost his life in a Lotus Ford RE Car at

6. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Thanks for the compliments.. hold off on the pics. I'll post some tonight. The Car is done and I want YOU ALL to see it, but I've been going non-stop!!

You'll all be very happy with it.

The owner is!! ;)

7. 49SUPER6

49SUPER6

Ive just gone through this whole thread, it took almost a week. This is one of my favorites. Brought back alot of memories for my dad. He grew up at San Jose and West Capitol, his brother was a photographer for years there. I hope to get some of his collection on the computer to post here. My younger brother was the 2009 ASCS National Championship car owner and we both agree that there is nothing prettier than a vintage open wheel car at speed. Thanks to all of those that contributed to this thread.

8. bbjake

bbjake
    from Illinois

Bob Lithgow still lives in Streator.

9. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Do you know how to get in touch with Bob Lithgow??? I did a quick search, and found nothing, I plan to do a more in depth search, but if you can help me....

Blacki-Suede

10. racewrench87

racewrench87
    from ill

Robert Lithgow
    607 heritage cir
    Streator, Il 61364

ph 815-672-6555

11. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Phoenix, AZ me thinks.

If memory serves me right his death was due to fire that was caused the wreck, while tire testing.

Again, IF memory serves me right .. the sponsor of the car was Pure Oil and it was named the Pure Oil Firebird Special.

Pure Oil vowed to never again use the word "fire" as any part of a sponsorship / marketing / advertising package.

12. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Don Edmunds called, Bob Lithgow passed away five years ago, but Don had a nice conversation with his wife. Seems one of their son's has a great collection of photos, memorbilia, etc. regarding his Father's racing endeavors. He will send us some images and that will help a bunch in the restoration.

Mrs. Lithgow also is a friend of Dee Tattersall, and gave Don her number as well. Don is going to call her, he hasn't talked to her in 30 plus years.

Just shows you how much threads like these help with, history, restoration and reaquinting people. Thanks to the enthusiasts on this thread, and several other vintage threads, we have been able to trace the entire history of my midget, as well as locate where some of Don Edmunds' other midgets reside.

Thanks
    Blacki-Suede

13. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

Here are a few photos of the Beletsky, Brenn and McDermott (later Oakie) cars. Apologies for the quality of the first three photos; they are from very tired 8 mm movies. First is Bobby Marshman in the Beletsky (ex-Watson No. 4) Offy in 1964. Second is Jiggs Peters in the same car after Ken Brenn bought it in 1965. Third is Marshman in the McDermott No. 5 in 1964. Fourth is Marshman in the Beletsky 22, Allentown, 1964. Fifth is URC Thompson 1965 with Peters. Note the blue color of the McDermott car. I have a 1965 photo of Ross Smith in it in 1965 at Tampa, also blue. The photo of it posted earlier by MLight looks black, but color photos are tough to rely on. It was definitely blue when I saw it.

Attached Files:

14. CincyKen

CincyKen

Hi Bill,
    Thank you so much for setting the record straight on the car. You are truely a wealth of information. I am glad your here to help us.

CincyKen

15. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

For what it is worth - when Ross Smith drove the Oakey sprinter at Lawrenceburg (IN) the car was a black number 5 with a cage (bolt on?). The 'burg ran "modifieds", and the Oakey car was one of the first USAC style sprinters, to bolt on a cage and run as a "modified". Some where way back on this thread was an image of the Oakey car and the former Rufus Gray "Gapco" car running at the 'burg.

Oakey Draught, a lawyer???

Blacki-Suede

16. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Here is the pic again. Gapco on the pole, Oakey on the tail.

[​IMG]

17. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Okay... Here we go!

So, The car I've been working on has been kept under wraps from request from the Owner. Since it was a back-up chassis that never got used, we were OPEN to do what ever we liked with it. Well, Ken (the owner) came up with the Idea that we should build the JIMMY WHITE / ELLISON SPL. from the Dave Argabright monthly story called "THE BEST OF TIMES".
    If you are not familiar with the story YOU NEED TO BE!! It's FANTASTIC! Basically it is a TOTALLY fictional story about a 22 year old Sprint car driver sensation that takes place in the mid 70's. here is a few "blurbs" from the first part of the story..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's the finished car fella's. I'm VERY happy with it. I'll explain more later. I'm BEAT from the show!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll post more in a day or two... I'll be on the road this week.

Thanks guys,

Joshua Shaw

18. deucemac

deucemac

An absolutely stunning and beautiful recreation of what never was! Has Argabright seen it yet?

19. greeno

greeno
    from Fresno,Ca.

Love the scallops on that car, beautiful detailed work.
    Gary

20. Looks like those made-up USAC decals were a perfect fit for a "car that never was". :D

Beautiful job !!!

21. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Johnny Fast, YES THEY WERE!! Thank you!!! :D

Dave has seen pics of it. He is VERY EXCITED!!

22. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Josh, The car looked great. The paint and lettering are second to none. Seeing it done has really got me motivated to get mine done so you and your dad can go crazy with the gold leaf!

23. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Good golly Josh, I'm speechless... outstanding!
    Blessings my brother,
    PK

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

X-lent Josh, love the lettering!

Attached Files:

25. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

Josh,

You NAILED it with that car! A perfect representation of my favorite era in sprint cars.
    Nice job!

Sean

26. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I have a question that I'm sure you guys can answer for me, that Josh's photos inspired me to ask:

What is the proper orientation for the spokes on a four-spoke steering wheel when the tires are pointing straight ahead? At the 45,135, 225, and 315 degree points of a compass, or 0, 90, 180, and 270 degree points? I think I've seen both ways. It would seem to me that most drivers would prefer the first option, but on short tracks the wheels are rarely pointing straight ahead so maybe not.

27. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

On my '32 I tried both ways, and found I liked the 45 degree option. Obviously, driving the roadster on the street is a lot different than a dirt car.

28. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Josh, I can't say much more than what has already been said. You continue to amaze us with your craftsmanship.

29. racer5c

racer5c

however it got put on lol

30. Sprinter 2

Sprinter 2
    from Ct.

Josh... Great job