Register now to get rid of these ads!

Enamel paints

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slamdpup, Jan 10, 2010.

1. slamdpup

slamdpup

enamel..Anyone ever used this enamel paint..im not intrested in there base clear cause my 39 chevy has already been painted with rustoleum rusty metal primer and i dont want to strip it off so i figured i would just go over it with another its also relativly cheap....paintforcars.com

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

A good friend of mine, an 82 year old retired bodyman with lots of first class restorations to his credit, recently painted his '51 Jeepster with Rustoleum and it looks very good. Obviously not GNRS quality, but quite good for any normal useage.

Also, I have heard of some that have used enamels from the farm supply stores that is marketed as inplement paint. Very cost effective and applied properly, a good serviceable finish.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  3. a coupe

a coupe

I would recoment a acrlyic enamel. i have used centari by dupont for a lotta things. and dispite what everyone says I think its a great paint and it wont disterb or wake up any other paints or primers that will be under it..also make sure u use the " wet look" hardener that will be availible werever u buy the paint.

4. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

as long as you keep the dirt and bugs out and get a good wet coat ,thin it properly,color sand it and buff it....it will look like anything else. cover up all your bare body areas or they will be sticky as hell!!

5. slamdpup

slamdpup

it is acrlyic enamel..

6. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

ive done a few cars in centari . and i had one guy argue with me at the gas station that the car was clear coated ,it was done in pitch black .wet sanded and buffed
    he told me i didnt know what i was talking about ..haha

7. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

acrylic enamel will be a good choice. i recommend that you not use the gloss hardner, don't use a fast thinner and use a good seal coat before painting.
    you don't want it too hot for that primer.

8. sherm II

sherm II
    from central Pa

The paint Tracter Supply Co. sells is alkyed enamel. They also have A hardner for it that makes it harder & shine better.

9. As stated above, it all depends on the finish you want, great for a daily driver... I have one of my cars done with Enamel and it looks decent...

10. EagleFreek

EagleFreek
    from Not Here

Man, your truck looks great! Would have never guessed that was Rustoleum.