Register now to get rid of these ads!

Custom Ideas: 1949-'52 Chevies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 22, 2008.

1. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

That's exactly what I say Zombilly. I agree, this was a great post and, more importantly, a great inspiration! The creative juices are flowin'! I can't wait to get mine on the road. So many beautiful lines..It's no wonder nowadays auto makers try to imitate and replicate these same clean lines for cars today. Haha, I guess everyones too lazy to try and come up with something Avant-Garde ;)

=Adrian=

2. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Spence Murray's Chevy always hit it right for me...
    As seen in Hop Up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

personally I think he should have shortened the roof a little, but hey, the car is still awesome. Love the grille opening and the grillebar

4. tinmann

tinmann

Here's one I've been messing with for the past couple of years whenever time permits....... and no, the horse trailer is not attached to the car!
    [​IMG]

5. Diamond49

Diamond49

Just picked up 49 coupe and just happened to be looking for a few good ideas. Right now she's just a roller, so the sky's the limit with ideas, but the pocketbook is not. Anyone else have ideas or photos to post?

6. rodncustom

rodncustom

I thought that 1949-1952 Chevrolet's were the same body except for tailights and grilles.

One of the captions on Ryan's Journal entry states "Both '51 and '52 Chevrolets are highly suitable for fender extensions. Design of the stock fenders make it easy for an experienced bodyman to "square off" the rear end."

So, how are the '51-'52 different than the '49-'51?

7. I stumbled across a `49 coupe last week. Very good body, solid. I absolutely do not need another project, but I can get it for $400 with clear title. Here we go .....

8. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

awesome thanks Ryan.... 49-52s chevys/pontiacs are my favorite cars....heres how i did my tail lights on my more door fleetline..... little differnent than the one shown....
    [​IMG]

9. i like to think of them as the 'working man's car." In terms of they are/were cheap and simple and I am poor. My blood and sweat go into the chevys. Also smaller than your merc or caddy so sportier. Although this might be denial for not having the cash for a merc, i think its a good argument.

10. Needs no explination. all hail Rik Hoving's photo archive.

[​IMG]

11. BadLuck

BadLuck

Thanks Ryan...very cool info....

12. 65Riviera

65Riviera

my first car was a '50 chevy... i loved that thing, i just wish i had the $ to do it right... will definitely get another, endless possibilities...

thanx ryan.

13. leaded

leaded
    from Norway

Great post!
    Yeah this cars give me some extra! The simplicity of theese cars, does entrys as original,souped or as kustom, suited in all classes!

here´s mine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. The '51-52 quarters are much more square...

[​IMG]

...than the '49-50 models.

[​IMG]

Bryan

15. rodncustom

rodncustom

Thank you for that. I see the difference. I'm not sure whihc I like better :) The second picture of the Business Coupe is awesome! Very nice looking car. Does anyone have more pictures of it?

16. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

I know its already got a 100 page post about it, but I think that this is an example of pure perfection when it comes to 49-52 Chevies

Attached Files:

17. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Bryan:

If you had ever tried to find a set of those lights you would understand why they are not more popular. They are as hard to find as 53/54 pontiac taillights.

B:)B

18. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

I like the pontiac belt chrome on the green coupe,"55" Chevy eyebrows RULE! Early "50's caddy taillights was the most preferred back in the day around here!(according to my dad).

19. MofastrDeluxe

MofastrDeluxe
    from MERCED CA

Wow, great pics. This certainly gives me something to tape to my garage walls now. This is what has been swirling around in the fog in my mind.

20. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

wow.. makes me want to hold onto mine for another 6 months!!.. haha.. nice pics ryan thanks.

21. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

What has two thumbs and is getting ready to cut on his 49?

DEEZ GUY

So many ideas, I might need more than one.

22. Looks like most the 49-50's pictured here have had the rear fenders molded to the body. The major differance in the 49-50 was it still had a removeable rear fenders.
    Thanks Ryan for starting this thread, 50 Hardtops have been my passion since I went with my uncle to buy a 50 Hardtop in 51' with his combat pay from the Korean war.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  23. :Dclose but no cigar....48 and older had removeable rear fenders. However the 49 & up did not - the illusion is the rear chrome moulding which gives the appearence of a removeable fender but it is not...the rears on the 49 & 50 have a curved down look them vs. the 51 & 52 have the straight back rears on them.

24. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I honestly thought there would have been more people posting up pictures on this one.

25. aldixie

aldixie

I've got a moordoor that I have been working on for a couple of years. Its a 50 Sedan that was a one owner with the orginal paperwork from the dealership. I bought it 2 years before I moved to the States and had it in open storage. Hence its taken a while to get it back in shape. Its got the optional bumper wraps. The link in my signature shows what I've done so far. Not completely Hamb friendly but has been fun to build.

26. Cochino

Cochino

Thanks Ryan this is a great topic. I love those 49-52 chebbies!!! I'm going to try to post some pics.

27. hotrodlolita

hotrodlolita

this is my most favorite post

28. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

Those taillights look really cool! Where are them from, or are they custom fabbed?