Register now to get rid of these ads!

US-warmer climate to enjoy our hobby?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by smooth50, Jan 10, 2010.

1. rotten egg

rotten egg

[QUOTE=storm king;4771679
    Native New Yorker here,....
    Flroida is full of Yankees, so are the carolinas.....
    You've heard of the "Ugly American" syndrom?......
    Leave the retarded ......

So you're a self hating Yankee? Nice.

2. tigerShark

tigerShark
    from Tampa Bay

I'll confirm that its f'n cold down here right now. granted, this is out of the norm. im born and raised down here and i cant handle this. i wanna go out and work in the garage but its hard to get motivated in this weather.

3. LAROKE

LAROKE

35F with a wind chill factor of 27F here in SOUTH Florida this morning. That's why I'm online instead of out wrenchin' under the shadetree where I might get hit by a falling iguana. Even the pythons are comin' in from the glades to get warm.

4. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

yep, during the big Finnish immigration movement, they mostly went to Minnesota and Northeast Ohio. Fairport was to Saint Paul for them. My great grandparents immigrated to fairport because they LIKED the cold, my grandmother was born in that house, met my grandfather, who was Finn they lived in that house, my mother was born in that house, and I lived there after I was born for a period of time, My grandparents then moved to Madison Ohio, and My parents built the house in Ashtabula. It's interesting that my grandmother lived her entire 93 years within 50 miles of where she was born, My mom is still in Cleveland too.

5. rotten egg

rotten egg

You might say the were finnish'd before they started
    :)

6. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep. That wouldn't have happened a century ago. The cold temp yes, but not the iguana, a species not native to the temperate zone.

7. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

people released them as pets when they got too big and they seem to like the weather

8. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Recently made a trip to San Diego, then Huntington Beach. Thanksgiving week to drive a Great Aunt back to Tulsa. She moved here to live in the retirement center my folks live in, MUCH cheaper than living in CA. While we were there my wife and I agreed that we would love to live in that area due to the climate and the ocean. Then we found out that even in a depressed economy the real estate market is breath takingly expensive compared to Tulsa. Then we left Huntington Beach at 1:30pm Thanksgiving Day to drive back home. Took 2 1/2 hours to drive 60 miles. Maybe we will just visit occasionally. My wife would like to move to Austin where the two newest Grandkids live, I like Austin ok but trafic there is pretty tough compared to Tulsa. Plus I grew up here and know where/who to go to for whatever I need. We are having the coldest winter in many years but I guess I will just look forward to Spring. Joe

9. I would love to get out of Michigan. I hate the Winter!!!!!! If I win the Lotto So-Cal here I come. I cant think of a better place to live if you dont have to be anywhere at any certain time and you have all the money you need to do the things you want. More realistcly I think Wilmington NC would be nice or Wrightsville Beach it's affordable, 2-3 months if iffy weather and good BBQ nearby.

10. billygoat67

billygoat67

just go ,if you don't you'l regret it the rest of your life. my parents had the opp to move to oregon when i was around 10 yrs old and didn't do it. they hads regrets all the time for not going.
    i live in a cold climate to and hate the winters more and more every year. and as you get older health problems seem to multiply because of the cold. i wish my parents would have made the move and i would probably be living in california today as much as i like it there from visiting.unforntatly i'm stuck in this cold ass state and not happy about it.
    if your wife wants to go and you can find good jobs where you are looking then i would just GO!
    thats my 2 cents worth, have a great day.

11. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

15 here been down to -13, over 30 inchs of snow in the first 3 weeks of winter with lots of 20 ft. drifts. Wa/BooHoo. I was lucky enough to visit Prescott AZ, last fall and really liked it. Gets chilly in the evening but warms up during the day, just enough snow to know it's winter and the summers are not real hot. Town was full of transplanted CA hotrodders. Would be a great change from NE. Now if I can just win the lottery so I can move. Oh well I guess I'll turn up the heat in my shop and survive!

12. I have lived in Colorado since 1971, all over the state. Three yrs. ago we moved to Trinidad, southen CO. Today it it 44 D. at 11:30 Am. I can work out side in a hoody for a coat. I was born in northeastern Iowa and will never move back to any place east of the Missouri river.:D

Lee

13. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

In my mind cold and old cars are completely different subjects. I check the thermometer outside the window, then dress accordingly.
    Last month on the morning of my weekly drive over to the SOLID GROUND CAFE for breakfast with the old car guy group it was 14 below zero. Wind chill was minus twenty five. Hot rod Nash was a little stiff, didn't pop on the first turn, had to do it again. Made a mental note that from now on if it's forcast to be below zero to hang a trouble light next to the battery overnight and toss a tarp over the hood/radiator.

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Well except for the long weekend the Goodguys event comes to town each October.:rolleyes::D

15. powdercoater46

powdercoater46

-6 here this morning. I like the idea of the Carolinas and CENTRAL Florida, not the coastal area.

16. wrayeugene49

wrayeugene49
    from eugene,or

Well I grew up in Pittsburgh, moved to the Bay Area in '74, and been in Oregon since '90. My favorite weather area was the bay area ...and I must say it bacame home...between the ocean coast, the sierras, the car shows, the racing history, the music...it's hard to beat and easy to miss. Oregon is less crowded and more affordable but it's hard to beat "that warm california sun....da..da..da!

17. Rusty65

Rusty65
    from Florida

If you were born up north....stay there. It is your destiny.

18. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

19. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

you can get a battery warmer that goes under the battery, and then plugs in. safer then the drop light, the light can ignite gasses from the battery.

20. 68 C10

68 C10
    from Athens, GA

Stole this from a thread on another forum I frequent, figure it's applicable-

Attached Files:

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I moved from Connecticut to California to escape winter. In Northern California now. So. Cal. might be the next step.

22. Mercchev

Mercchev

Colorado is the place to be...Had the Merc out yesterday, went riding motorcycles with my kid today. Mild winters, not-too-hot summers, and a great car scene. Scenery ain't bad either...Grew up here, spent most of my adult life going around the world in the Navy, and never found anywhere I liked better than Colorado...so I am back. Recommend it highly, especially after freezing my butt off on a trip to Chicago last week...Brrrrr

23. San Bernardino, Ca.(SoCal) 78 degrees.. this whole past week I been working in a t-shirt & jeans. I don't like welding in the heat. I can remember 112 degree days when I was building my 57 wgn in the summer of '93.. Effin miserable!

24. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I dunno... Al Gore's saying you'll be able to enjoy it year-round everywhere in the world in just a few short years!

Seriously, I grew up in Ohio, and moved to Floriduh a little 12 years ago. It was great in the winter, but in the summer it was hell. Literally, if you set your wrenches or ratchets in the sun for 15 minutes, they were too hot to pick up and use! Summer and high heat/humidity down there was worse than cold and winter up in Ohio.

I live in Georgia now, and while it's been cold for several weeks, I'm driving a '62 Suruban as my daily driver, and my wife has a '61 Corvair as her daily. It gets hot in the summer, but not stupid hot. And not for more than a regular summer anywhere else. "Gee, it's hot!" No shit, it's August, it's supposed to be hot.
    But March thru November or December, it's very decent. And like I said, year-round vintage car driving.

I've lived in 5 states, and traveled in over 40... Living in the South East is great for a hot rodder.

-Brad

25. glassguy

glassguy

oh honky.. why would ya wanna leave here??? its nice for almost 2 months a year!! and half of that it rains LOL but on the brite side the heating oil, and taxes are the highest in the country.. now quit being a baby! if i have to suffer, so do you ya prick!!!

26. I'm orginaly from south east Mo., then went to Williamsburg, Va. for a few years and have been living in this freaking deep freeze for 22 years now. I can't wait to move out of this cold ass climate, 6 months of winter and you can count on one hand the sunny days we've had.
    Half my life I've lived here and I still don't consider it home.

27. cigarcaptain

cigarcaptain

The Land of Enchantment, less than one day a year it hits 100 and always cools to 70s and sometimes 60s at night in the summer. Rust free old cars too!! Kind of glad not a lot of folks know about this place.

28. fatkoop

fatkoop

I'm a Colorado native. Not always perfect hot rod weather, but remember the really important things in life: family, friends, and hot rods. (maybe a few other things and maybe not in that order) It was -10 here a few days ago, but I still enjoy going out to the shop, cranking up the furnace and and the tunes, and beating myself silly trying to make something purdy out of this pile of old scrap Ford parts. That's what it's all about!

29. jimcaf

jimcaf
    from san diego

I moved from NY to San Diego back in 87, I never been back,,best decision i ever made!

30. Gary, I think this winter here in South Dakota is an omen for my upcoming move to Prescott and it is telling me to get the hell out of here and never look back! Yesterday morning it was about -30 below zero and we have almost 3' of snow on the ground, and I can't get out of here soon enough. We had a heat wave today and it got into the 20's! We've got another showing of the house tomorrow so hopefully one of these times its going to sell. It can't happen soon enough! It's been in the 50's and even the 60's down there lately. Sell the farm and race me down there!