Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs ***Customs With Radiused Rear Wheel Openings...I Think I Want To Do Mine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BloodyKnuckles, Jan 10, 2010.

1. I really like the look of radiused rear wheel openings. I think it's a look thats not done enough anymore. Everyone wants that skirted, taildragger look (..which I love!!).

With my plans of an early 50's custom for my Plymouth I think they would make the final package look pretty good.

Anyone want to hook-a-brother-up and photoshop some for me???

[​IMG]

I would also love to see some examples to help guide me through this decision.

Thanks guys.

BloodyKnuckles

2. pro1street

pro1street

Is this what you wanted?
    [​IMG]

3. Comedian huh??:D

Looks good though.

BloodyKnuckles

4. sambo

sambo

I think your car is perfect the way it is but we all get sick of things.I've noticed that radiused wheel wells were on mostly sectioned cars or 'gassers' but thats my take on it.Congrats on the bitchin Plymouth anyway

5. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

i don't think I'd radius the wheel wells on that one, but thats just me.

6. brewsir

brewsir

might work...especially on an old plymouth with those tall slab sides. Sorry I can't help with the photoshop...I only work in mental!

7. pro1street

pro1street

But seriously here you go.
    [​IMG]

8. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

I really don't like that look. Only proper on a gasser, and even then I don't dig it.

How about re-working the opening?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  9. I think it's time to rake your leaves

10. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

I would radius even higher, and build a set of skirts.That way you change back and forth. Full length lakers would also help the look.

11. I gotta admit, I'm digging that one-

12. DrJ

DrJ

Do the front and back EXACTLY the same shape in relation to the tire.
    If you want the back to look like the front, round up an extra pair of fenders and graft the fender openings onto the 1/4's.
    If you want the openings to be concentric circles, draw them on using the center of the wheel hub for a radius center and bend round tubing to that shape, but do the front and rear the same shape!

13. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Only proper on a gasser" Hmmmm - never seen a Buick? I think that it would look good, and different (or are we only supposed to do what everyone else does?). Repeat the front fender opening at the height which lets the same amount of tire sidewall show. vic PS: Looks better w/o the lakers, eh?

14. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Yeah - form and function. Radiused fenders for wide wheels. Still doesn't look good. They don't follow the flow of any car, unless that is how the car was originally designed.

Don't make it look odd just to be different.

15. 296ardun

296ardun

Look at some of the Valley Custom cars on Rikster's website, they were one of the few custom shops to radius wheel openings...they were mostly sectioned cars, though, because sectioning reduces the slab sides...it's your car, though, do what you like.

16. yekoms

yekoms

#8 pic is sweet. Something between #7and #8 would be OK too. Follow the shape of the front wheel well but,not as high as it. I guess...Cool car either way...
    Smokey

17. Thanks alot guys. I really like the radiused ones but the reworked one looks good too.

I would love to see some examples. Got any?

BloodyKnuckles

18. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

one of the better ones that comes to mind is Ray Goulart 50 Olds.
    this photo is from riksters site.

also a 49-52 chev pic I have.

you might want to look at reshaping the front wheelwell too, to better balance the look

Attached Files:

19. Best...

20. LabRat

LabRat

Don't you have another project that deserves radiused gaurds ? :)

21. The HAMBer,fordole500,who built my son's Shoebox,used openings from either,60-63 Ford Galaxie wheelwells. Here's a few pic's...

[​IMG]

22. ragtop35

ragtop35

Not a custom I guess but pretty cool.

Attached Files:

• 038.jpg
      038.jpg
      File size:
      426.8 KB
      Views:
  23. The problem with your car IMO and the one above is that there is not enough fender infront of the opening and it gives the front edge of the fender a really thin weak look when radiused.

24. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Do it, That's a great look.

25. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

that looks great, you have any more pictures?......the wheels in my head are starting to turn.......i gotta stay off the hamb my car is never gonna be done:mad:

26. Stovebolt37

Stovebolt37
    from Idaho

The fender is more of a rectangular shape and the round wheel opening looks a little out of place. IMHO I'd be a little more subtle and match the shape of the fender or roof line and drop the opening to line up with the top line of the rear bumper. Here's my take on it.

Attached Files:

27. helmsville

helmsville

Ya! skirt's look's the best

28. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

I gotta agree. I would round out both front and rear. If you don't feel like messing with the fronts then I would modify the rear to match the fronts.

29. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Just my opinion , I like the skirts or the way it is now. If you really want to do this Ron ,Do it to the Buick.

30. choppermatt

choppermatt

looks kind of like a 53 packard, I don't know if Id do a circular wheel opening like a gasser on a car that has a fender bubble.