Register now to get rid of these ads!

US-warmer climate to enjoy our hobby?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by smooth50, Jan 10, 2010.

1. smooth50

smooth50
    from MASS

How many hot rodders have moved from the Northeast US to a warmer climate?

Do you regret your decision? What do you like best and what do you miss?

My wife wants to move and I would love to be able to enjoy my hobby outdoors for more months of the year.

2. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

I would say your wife got the right idea! I am stuck in OHIO. Its 9 degrees

3. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Do not plan on moving to Florida! It's fricking cold down here!
    I know you guys up north are laughing, but it was 27 degrees down here this morning, usually it is in the 40's. Our high is going to be in the 40's and it is going down to 25 tonight.
    Our "normal" high for this time of year is the low 70's.
    I blame it on "global warming".
    Robert

4. We left Pittsburgh 10 years ago and moved to Charlotte, NC. We did it for a few reasons but the main reason was for the weather.

It was and still is the best decision we could have made. Charlotte has great weather. It's always sunny here.

What I think you'll miss the most is food and different ethnic cultures (...Polish, Italian, Irish...). What will happen is that you'll really appreciate where and how you grew up and lived.

I love that I grew up in Pittsburgh and miss alot about it but Charlotte is my home now and I can drive my old cars year round.

BloodyKnuckles

5. Everybody I know retires and moves south, not only for the warmer weather but to get away from the insane northeast area taxes. And god willing, upon retirement I plan to do the same too. I ain't met anybody who regretted it yet.

6. My great grandparents moved from canada to the dakotas them during the depression to NE Indiana My folks came to Ark. Now im considering someday moving to a drier climate . We have Wet cold Wet hot. It goes from too cold in spring immediately to too hot. fall is usually very nice. 5 degrees here last nite not wet everything is frozen solid. The Missouri Game and Fish is having The first ever ice fishing Clinic about 25 miles north of here.:eek: Cold weather sucks OldWolf

7. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

no matter where you live there is always a drawback.hurricanes earthquakes etc.i live in ohio and like the change in the weather.it gives me time to do some benchracing and spend more time with the wife and kids.yes it would be nice to be able to go outside in shorts everyday but when its HOT its HOT.and there is no escaping it.and as they say change is good.

8. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

Must be nice! It's 4 degrees here.:rolleyes:

9. nutajunka

nutajunka

With all the money spent reserching global warming, maybe a few of those guy's could take a barefoot, with short pants on, trip to take the garbage out. Might change their mind...:rolleyes: 9 degrees here, windchill 0

10. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

When the temp is in the 90's humidity is in the 70+ range. Well I would rather be cold. And check the tax laws in some of the southern states. A friend way moving to N.C. till he found out the tax on pensions.

11. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

We moved from Dayton Ohio to Denver Colorado about 6 years ago. I wish I would have done this 30 years ago!

Sunshine 300 days a year! And talk about a cool place to be in the US as far as crusing goes, Colorado has it.

Maybe I was just burned out from living in the midwest in one area for 40 years but I would seriously advise you to give it a go and move. Every road is a new adventure.

If you don't like it you can always move back.

GO FOR IT!

Attached Files:

12. storm king

storm king

Native New Yorker here, spent 30 years in Oklahoma, a very nice place to live. With some trepedation, we moved for business reasons to Kentucky in '07; didn't want to move east or north. But love Kentucky, Bowling Green is a great place for hot rodders, and even though it's colder than a well digger's ass in april right now, we usually have pretty mild climates year round.
    Flroida is full of Yankees, so are the Carolinas (they even have a town named Cary, which I've been told stands for "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees". A word of advice, just like when living overseas, stay away from areas already occupied by folks from your region. You've heard of the "Ugly American" syndrom? Leave the retarded Mass. political ideas there, and come on down and enjoy it!

13. ChevyRat

ChevyRat

I have to say, Texas is a good place to be. We race and cruise year round. The summers can get warm, but the winters are great. Cost of living is good and the taxes are not that bad either.

14. Erwin

Erwin

27 degrees isn't too bad, as long as your dressed for it.

15. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Its BEAUTIFUL here. Everywhere has its drawbacks but ,,,,,
    70 high,38 low. our growing season is 155 days + or- a few. we get snow,but heck, all your old people are here and they KNOW how to drive in that.
    105degrees really isnt so bad once you recover your breath as you go outside. Drink LOTS of water and dont leave your wrenches in the sun, turn your steering wheel 180 so you dont cook your hand, park in the way-outs because you might get a shred of shade, stare in bewilderment at the oven thermometer on the dash because it says 160 when you come out from work, your unfinished coffie from the morning is warmer than it was when it was fresh, laugh at the folks standing beside their running cars because the A/C hasnt cooled it off enough yet, Levis air dry in 20 minutes on the line
    Yup, its great.

16. gary mundy

gary mundy
    from Kansas

Move to kansas . We have four seasons in just one year.

17. RodStRace

RodStRace

I actually moved to a colder climate. It's only the second year, but is bareable. I'm going to need a heater in the garage to work on some days (power first!), but overall, it's been good.

18. Moved to Houston in 1976 to get away from the cold in Ohio and to be able to work outside 96% of the year. It gets a little warm down here in the summer and there may be an occasional hurricain but nothing in life is free, you give to get. There are a lot of car people in the Houston metro area as well as the rest of the state. I do not regret the decision to move here at all. In fact it is best decision I ever made.

19. squirrel

squirrel

It really sucks down here, there are too many people. You should stay up there in the great frozen tundra.

20. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

You can always move to southern Australia. The forcast for today is 110 degrees.

21. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I want to move out of Ohio so bad I can taste it but would hate to move all the junk I have,I was thinking about Georgia or the Carolinas so I can zip down the Daytona Beach alot quicker then I can from here.

22. bobjob55

bobjob55

it's 70 today on the desert floor.. it's our best time of year.. come summer,,,, it will be 110 for 6-8 weeks in a row,, and will see 117 for over a week at a time...when its cold,, you can put on clothes to stay warm,, when it's 110,, you just are miserable...even the pools are 95... so come on down.. you can play with your toys all year round.... but you better have a good a/c..and a lot of sun screen ... you will tan right thru your clothes...

23. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

We moved from SoCal to the mountains in the Pacific Northwest. I see more of an appreciation for cars here than there. I know several guys in SoCal that take their cars out a couple times a year if at all when they could almost everyday. Here, once spring hits you see cars all over and more folks driving them to work.

24. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Been in the ourtskirts of Pasadena all 59 years, 21 in Arcadia and the rest in Sierra Madre.
    Blue skies today, 75 degrees, never any humidty, no chiggers or other bugs. Never snow except in the mountain range I see out of my windows. Last time I was in snow was when I taught a photography class in Minneapolis for ten days in 1995. I guess lots of people like it and the change of seasons. I can understand that.
    I'm retired, so I don't give a crap about Los Angeles' traffic problems, Its been like that forever and I know how to avoid it.. I see other big cities do too.
    No place is perfect, but most importantly, this is my home, the home of my friends and the home to all my hot rodding memories from the golden days of rodding and, especially, drag racing. I rode my bicycle to Irwindale and San Gabriel Drag Strips. Moy folks would drop me off at Lions or Fontana and pick me up later.
    I got to witness, first hand, what is discussed daily on the HAMB, and I'm glad I was a camera-carrying kid, so hundreds of my photos are posted here throughout the various threads.
    I would have never guessed that anyone would ever want to see those old photos. Viva la Hamb, for giving those photos another chance and for me to help jog my memory.
    Well, the highway beckons...going to take a nice sunday drive in the '34, turn on some tunes and go grab a chocolate malt somewhere and wonder why in hell's name did I get so lucky....
    You guys and gals, enjoy your sunday, too....:)

25. HasonJinkle

HasonJinkle

-48° ambient this morning here in Deadhorse.

But high twenties down on the Gulf Coast of Alaska where I live. Can't beat the summers up here and the winters are actually comparable to or a bit milder than the upper midwest and Northeast- we just don't tell anybody. I imported my old lady from Massachusetts/Florida and she loves it up here. Midday midsummer, Florida turns into a creepy ghost town because it's too frigging hot/humid to do anything outside.

26. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

moved to grand prairie 8 years ago---live in rowlett now---couldn't agree more. still talk to omaha---he can't even see out his l/room window. i don't miss it

27. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I like the idea of three seasons; July August Winter; recommend you stay. Winter can be glorious.:D

On a practical note it only takes a half hour to chain-up.

Attached Files:

28. Flroida is full of Yankees, so are the Carolinas (they even have a town named Cary, which I've been told stands for "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees". A word of advice, just like when living overseas, stay away from areas already occupied by folks from your region. You've heard of the "Ugly American" syndrom? Leave the retarded Mass. political ideas there, and come on down and enjoy it![/QUOTE]

X2^^

29. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I moved from northeast Ohio, specifically from Ashtabula, it's an interesting weather phenomenon that it's even colder then Cleveland and it's 30 or so miles away. it happens to be the point where the arctic air from Canada combines with the lake effect from lake Erie and it gets COLD!! No wonder my Finnish relatives all immigrated to Fairport which is right there too. feels like home!! I moved first to the Atlanta area, then later to south Georgia, about 40 miles from FLA, right now it's COLD!! was 16 last night, been in the 20's at night all week. these houses are not designed for cold temperatures, no insulation. normally it can be in the 60's or 70's this time of year. Whats ironic is I remember traveling down this way as a kid and it snowed in Orlando that year. You had better like bugs though if you come down this way, nothing invented by man repels gnats, and they are everywhere. they are attracted to the carbon dioxide you breathe out, so they like to fly into your mouth. We also have giant spiders, like the wolf spiders, and now the huntsman spider is making inroads,they can be up to eight inches across. harmless but will scare the crap out of you. Oh and 100 degrees in the summer with 99 percent humidly is normal.

30. squirrel

squirrel

So many Norwegians settled in Minnesota....but their grandkids sure like Arizona better