Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else have a ride that can't be bought?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sir Woosh, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've had several I couldn't sell.

That didn't mean they weren't for sale though. ;)

JH

2. I've been offered money for my Merc many times! It's not about money,with my Merc! I will probably own about 10 more cars in my lifetime(hopefully)and all of them will be for sale. My Merc's the one I always wanted...

3. I will never sell my 49 Plymouth, I even have a picture of it tattooed on my shoulder. the reason I am so adamant about it is because I had a 55 chev that I got from my dad. I had it for so many years, but ended up selling it to help finance an adoption that turned out to be a regrettable decision. my dad was in a rest home then and still is, but still asks about his old 55. I don't have the heart to tell him it's gone and he wouldn't have the heart to hear it at age 93. every time I think of when I sold it, I want to puke. I won't give my Plymouth to my kid till I die, what he does with it then is his business.

4. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I'd like to say I'd never sell my truck as much blood sweat and tears I got wrapped up in this stupid thing (and it aint even done) BUT at the end of the day....If someone offered the right price.....I'd be lookin at the tail lights rolling down the road without me and buildin something else...

Truth is, While I like the truck (and subsiquently the other cars I've owned) I dont really have much emotional attachment set in em....

5. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Ok....this according to the wifey.....
    The roadster we are building....never,
    [​IMG]

Our son's 56 GMC (lost him in an accident when he was 19), it will go to our grandson who's his namesake when hes old enough (hes 5 now).

[​IMG]

My Chevelle.....she knows I would sell it, but would never recover....LOL

[​IMG]

& our 59 Metropolitan....we talk about selling it all the time, last registered in 2000.....but just cant seem to do it, neither one of us.
    (This is it at Carmel Calif, on our honeymoon)

[​IMG]

Louie

6. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Some are all about the money and some are not!

No problem if you are all about the money, but don't try to make yourself feel better or kid yourself about it by saying that EVERYONE else is too.

It just ain't always the case even if it is the majority.

I still own alot of "firsts". My first car, my first speed part (bought used), my first speed part (bought new). Some of it sits on a shelf - some I still use - ain't none of it for sale.

7. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

This pretty much sums up how I feel about the little body my dad and I cut down and built for a nostalgic dirt car I had. Ive built 2 different cars that this went on and sold both chassis without the body. Will probably cut it in half and do some sort of fence art with the headers half a wing and tires...LOL

[​IMG]

Louie

8. Villlage Idiot

Villlage Idiot

Does that statement include the land that you bought when you were younger and would never sell? Or does this just apply to cars? Seems like an oxymoron to me.

9. Mechaniac

Mechaniac

I still have a 61 Studebaker Hawk TT that I bought in 76 or 7. I guess it would have a price tag if someone had to have her but for years I said it was my coffin. I couldn't sell my coffin. Liked mine so much I bought the wifey a 64 Gran Torismo Hawk that is a real beauty. She says it is a keeper, so we have a pair. R

10. duste01

duste01

If the only thing I have of my Dad is the memories of us working on this car together, do you still think there is a price high enough that wont be insulting?

11. UncleJoey

UncleJoey

I had a guy pester me for years for my lowly 58 Belair (see my avatar). Its apraised at $28,000 CDN and is a nice car but no trophy queen by a long shot. Same guy said "I have money-name your price." I told him 50 g's. He said "it ain't worth that" and I said "you're right" and he buggered off. My wife blasted me. Asked me if I really would sell it for that price. This car was my distraction while my Mum was dying of cancer. I met my wife while driving this car. Our first date was in this car. Her Dad drover her to the church on our wedding day in this car. We honeymooned in this car. Pretty tough to put a price on all that.
    Mind you, 50 grand would come in handy about now!! Nope. Not a chance. Now I do have a 68 Chevelle that could be sent down the road for a cool 18 thou......

12. Weasel

Weasel

May I respectfully suggest that maybe to those of you who would sell their vehicle(s), that you do not yet have the right vehicle....

13. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Of course you would not take any fortune for your memories of your dad.

Since I can only speak for myself when it comes to personal issues, I'd have to say that if my wife needed a real expensive surgery and I had no insurance, then that would be cause for me to part with a car. I'd rather treat her right than stick her in some county run hospital for the uninsured.
    Maybe some folks wouldn't do that, and just like anything else, its everyone's own choice to do as you please with personal property. Cars, like diarys, wedding rings and all things family related take on deep, deep ties to those you love.
    My '34 is my pride and joy, but it's not the love of my life. I reserve that spot in my heart for my family and my families health, safety, security and well-being.
    Thank goodness we all have choices to or not to have to part with our vehicles.
    For me, it's like a savings account that I can drive at the same time.
    Not a bad deal. And in my case, there are no ties to family as my mom and dad's deaths proceeded the '34's arrival.
    But, if my family members need something and all savings and assets are exhausted, the then '34 goes to the highest bidder.

I do know what you mean, though. The '34 is a hobby and cash if I ever need it, but my grandfathers pocket watch, which keeps perfect time and in engraved, September 19, 1881......nope, not for sale

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  14. UncleJoey

UncleJoey

Well said Mazooma. It always boils down to priorities.

15. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i'm pretty partial to my newport. i don't really ever plan on selling it. i think i will just be patient and wait until i can afford my next model A, keep it and go from there-rather than sell what i have when i decide i want something new. i've owned a couple cars i wish i had back, i know the newport would fall into that category for sure. for now i'll just be happy with what i have and hold out for the next thing i "need" to have.

16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I suppose all of my cars could be bought but the '32 5w would be the last to go and you would not like the price. After all they are just "things" and if you wouldn't part with them under ANY circumstances then they own you.

Frank

17. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

If someone is dumb enough to offer me a huge amount of cash for my Essex, I might consider selling it. It would have to be a stupid amount of money, though. The T touring project would be sold long before I'd let the Essex go.

18. conormulroney

conormulroney

I have a '65 Morris Mini that my dad had shipped over from England in 1972. It was the first car I ever drove and in 1978 I told him I wanted it if he ever got rid of it. His reply was that it is mine. I had to wait 27 years to get it and now I drive it almost every day. I was also given a file of every receipt including the BOL from England. It looks the same as the day I first drove it with its hub caps and green indoor/outdoor carpeting.

I will not sell it. My two sons respect it history and my attachment to it. I hope they continue it's 430,000 mile tradition after I am gone. Drive it and if it breaks, fix it and drive it some more.

Conor

19. duste01

duste01

I whole heartedly agree, when it comes to family. Point well noted. It is after all just stuff, and Family is Family.

20. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I don't anticipate ever getting rid of my coupe or my roadster (or really, my truck), but never is a really long time.

I anticipate growing up eventually (only 58 now), and more than one "keeper" has gone down the road because of previously-unanticipated circumstances. For now, I can't imagine anyone offering enough to buy these cars; doesn't make economic sense.

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is interesting. We're talking about nothing less than the depth of our passion for these cars and the hobby, and what that means to different people. We have to remember that we can never speak for others...only ourselves. Sir Woosh was speaking for himself. Some of you are trying to speak for him. He qualified his statement, admitting that things change, but as far as he can see, would not give up his cars. I don't think he was "flattering himself", and I think the assumption was while we're alive, or at least while we can still drive. Some of you guys express your passion for the hobby by building and owning a great many cars over time, and never get exceptionally attached to one car...and that's great. But some others feel differently. I don't want to imply that one way or another is better...just different. For whatever reasons, some invest greater meaning into a car. It's more than "just a car", and monetary value has little or no bearing. What confuses me though, are those who regard these feelings as "sappy", and can't understand the simple concept that some may very well never sell their car, regardless of price. You mean to tell me that somebody's father or son died, and you're gonna disagree with them that they'll never sell his car? Or maybe somebody built one car in their life against great adversity and at great sacrifice, pouring their heart and soul into it, yet would readily give it up for nothing more than a pile of cash? You're trying to undermine and make light of their convictions. But only speak for yourself if you don't share those convictions. I fall into the second category. I've wanted a real Ford hot rod since I was a kid, and at some point along the way, realized that buying one was not an option for me. I needed to build one from a pile of parts. I'm 52 now, and though I've owned a few cool old cars, due to various setbacks, haven't yet accomplished my goal...but I'm workin' on it. I've been collecting parts for quite a while...'29 Ford roadster body, '32 Ford frame, '33 Ford grill, Guide headlights, '60 Lincoln 430 w/6X2 intake, '60 Lincoln steering-wheel, '46 Ford wheels and caps, etc. I doubt that I'll ever build another like it, and I'm-a-gonna make this one count. It'll be my vengeance...my masterpiece...a part of myself. Is there any chance in the world that once it's done, and someone offers me way too much money for it, that I'd accept? As long as it doesn't make the difference whether I'll be able to support my sweet wife or not, and I can still stand up, it'll never happen...period.

And on a lighter note...Denise, I like the way you as a gal refer to your car as "he", and us guys refer to ours as "she".

22. blasted

blasted
    from N. Tex

I must also concede to Mazooma1's age and wisdom.

Point well taken and check mate. Life has been good enough that I did not even consider that angle. But at my age I can fully understand.

23. racer32

racer32

There is a 57 Chevy that my grandmother bought new sitting in her yard. It's been parked in the same place since 1973 when the transmission went out, and my dad bought a 66 Impala for her to drive. People have been trying to buy that car ever since. I got a call from a guy who tracked me down (I live in anohter state) about it a few months ago. It's just an old bucket of rust sitting in the front yard, but so far it hasn't ever gotten sold. You can't really put a price on something that has a sentimental value greater than its market value.

24. Mercchev

Mercchev

My 56 was my first car...My Grandfather gave it to me when I was 14, and I remember riding in it when I was just a wee babe after he bought it new from the Chevy dealer in Phillipsburg, KS...My name was welded on the framerails of the Merc when we built it, so it will always be mine in some fashion. Can't see ever getting rid of them...maybe getting buried in the 56 or a big Viking Funeral Pyre...Yeah, that's the ticket...

Attached Files:

25. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

There is a car that my father has had as long as I can remember and I am 40.I will keep that as long as possible.I have passed the love of cars and the meaning of that car along to my son, so at least I now it will be with him also.I hope he can teach his kids the same.I also believe that I would sell that car in a minute if it was going to save one of the kids or wifes lives.I know in my heart that Dad would want that if it ever came to be.Hopefully it never does......Dads still alive as are my boys and wife.My Dad,myself and the boys make up the Harpboys4. oh . the car is a 29 buick hearse.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  26. bigs merc

bigs merc

Yeah, my 64 montclair. The sentimental value is too great to place a price tag on.

27. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Heres what I truely believe. What ever we have, at some point we may have to make the decision to sell or not. I would like to think that I will keep my deuce forever but, if it came down to a life threating decision on my wifes health or not it would be gone. We have scrimped and saved to build our car, but it is simple a matter of priories. Thats why I always wish my friends good health, the rest is meaningless. JMHO.

28. This answer, sure doesn't match with your biography, seeing how long you've kept your cars.:rolleyes:

29. You know what they say-ya cant take it with you.

I disagree

When I go ,There diggin a BIG hole :p

Oldmics

30. alanjohnson

alanjohnson
    from alabama

I have got a few that it would take some real hard times to consider selling. Most cars I do not get attached to and have no problem parting with but some are different. Not that they are rare or expensive cars but they hold a lot of memories for me. The first was my first car. A 1968 Volkswagen that was given to me by my dad at age 13. He told me if I wanted something to drive by the time I was 16 I had a lot of work to do, both on the car and working for the money for needed parts. It was the first car that I actually got to cut and weld on, do the body and paint on and learn something. Next would be the '37 Cabriolet that I started on at 18 and finished when I was 22. This car (although not traditional) is what got me a start at doing what I enjoy the most, building old cars. Both of these are special because of all the late hours and weekends spent with my dad building the cars. Another one that has been in the family since 1952 actually belongs to my Uncle and will not leave the family. It is my grandfathers '48 Ford business coupe. I can remember it from an age that I was small enough to ride on the package tray and thought it was the best thing in the world. It is the very reason that I am so obsessed with anything automotive. My dad painted the car in 1964 and I had the opportunity to hot rod the car in 2005. The last car some of the members here my remember. It is Mickey Cox's 32 Hemirod roadster that was finished in the late 70's. This car and his '32 coupe were suppose to be kept for his grandson who was less than a year old when Mickey passed. I had gotten to be close friends with Mickey in a few years time and he taught me a lot about fabricating and machine work. About 6 years after Mickey passed his wife called wanting to sell the cars because the daughter and son in law had no interest and sitting around was not doing them any good. I knew what Mickey's wishes were for the cars although nothing was said about this by his wife. I bought the roadster and another friend bought the coupe with our own stipulation that they could not be sold to anyone other than back to Mickey's family. We are all just temporary car takers of these objects and most of the reasons for so much attachment to them is not about the car but about the fond memories that it brings us. Sorry for the long post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.