Register now to get rid of these ads!

Slaughterhouse customs 18 day build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slaughterhousecustoms, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flamed34

flamed34

I'm relatively new here...but this thread has left me scratching my head. First, the sedan is not my cup of joe - nor is the truck in the video. I'm also not a fan of riced Hondas, monster trucks, bagged mini-trucks, Caprice's with 26" spinners, etc....

What am I a fan of? Ingenuity, creativity, building a car not with a fist full of dollars but with hard work. I'm also a fan of building a car and NOT painting it red just because everyone else likes red...in other words, build what YOU like, not what everyone else likes.

I watched the video...now I wouldn't have built that truck personally. But perhaps it's what they could afford to start with. No, it is NOT a model A or a '32...but in it's own way it's cool...I'd rather follow that down the road than a 2010 Hyundai.

Several have ragged on the sedan..."ruined it"...damn, how many times have we all heard that from some old fart thinking that your (insert car here) should have been restored to factory specs? I suppose the famous Pierson's Brothers Coupe was ruined too with it's mail slot windows?

Let's talk safety...hmmm, I seem to see a lot of traditional cars on here with suicide front suspension, I-beams, and (gasp!) 4 wheel DRUM brakes and juice jars. Now, 80 years ago, those were state of the art..but on today's highways, with today's speeds, an argument could be made that your drum brakes just aren't "safe"...surely they cannot stop as quickly as a 2005 Suzuki with 4-wheel disk brakes, ABS, and radial all season tires! God forbid that single pot master cylinder fails....or you get bump steer....or, etc etc.

You know, there's a kid in my neighborhood who has a 1989 Civic...running 290 hp in a car that weighs less than 1500 lbs. He built the car himself. Along the way, he came to me for insight, welding, etc, and I ended up doing his paint work. The thing sits about 2 inches off the ground with high end suspension...I've driven it and it handles like it's on rails, and the thing actually outran my C5 'vette light to light. I spent a lot of time with this kid and he's been around my cars and watched me work...guess what? He recently purchased an old 60's Mustang...now we're getting somewhere! (ok, not a Mustang or post-flathead Ford fan, but at least it's not more rice!)

Ok...so you don't like the sedan! Instead of blasting the car, help point Slaughter in the RIGHT direction. There's some good fabrication on the car...recognize it. If you see something risky (like welds to the 3rd member), point it out! (BTW, there's a lot of GM rears with the tabs located from the factory in the same location...if welding skills aren't up to par, these rearends could be used instead - just used one out of a '77 El Camino, for example).

I guess I'm trying to say, use constructive criticism (management 101)...what someone did right, what has been observed that doesn't meet the expectation, and suggestions on how to improve!! Slaughterhouse obviously posted here EXPECTING to hear something positive...and most of you instead are working on alienating him. If that same car was built with a) safety risks eliminated, b) attention to quality of body work, and c) some sort of finished exterior (suede, gloss, etc)...everyone would be ooh-ing and aah-ing. Slaughter was able to do all of that in 18 days...imagine if he spent another 18!

My $.02.

2. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

I have to agree.........the build may not be "your cup of tea"......but at least they got it done.

I see plenty of things that I don't like, and a bunch of things that look like the cars we raced back in the late 50s and 60s........

M.

3. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

Damn! Talk about beatin' up on the kid. It don't appeal to me but it's got a lot more going for it than some junk I've seen. Driving laying down will be a bitch after 15 minutes but...whatever.

Don't let the naysayers bust your chops too much kid. Build 'em as you like and keep building them. Thats the only way to get better.

4. codeblu

codeblu

I don't know that all this counts as discouraging. When I was growing up if I was met with some negativity in regards to my efforts, that was just motovation for me to do it better next time, however, it seems all we've done is raise a new generation of PUSSIES...that need constant pats on the back.

5. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

6. About 90% of the street cars taken to the HAMB drags. It is in the middle of the country and most folks drive3-14+ hours.:rolleyes:

7. Beau

Beau

Agreed.

There's no book of hot rodding rules out there. It's taught by those doing it.

This site is more about what people do wrong than about what is done right at times.

I think it looks ok. But I would have a sore neck by the time I made it to a show.

Gotta start out somewhere. They are not that rare, there's over a dozen for sale on craigslist right now.

8. leachafreak

leachafreak
    from dayton,oh

its so crazy how all you car guys talk shit about any other styl then your own.like a bunch of teen age girls hating on the hot chic in the crowd.i like the car and i bet you wouldnt keep your eyes off it parked beside your $50,000 car.GREAT JOB SLAUGHTERHOUSE IT WOULDNT BE FUN IF YOU WASNT PISSN PEOPLE OFF.dont worry bout all these old men acting like women on thair period hating on the hottie chicks.

jus my 2 cents.

9. I like the razor blade idea? I think i am going to stick with razor wire on the next one you guys are right spikes are over done but no one is doing razor wire! good idea thumbs up.. Hotrod56cars the thing is im new to this site and had no idea this was a traditional site.. Doesnt matter to me I AM A FAN OF ALL CARS TRADITIONAL STREETRODS RATS HELL LOWRIDERS AND LEAD SLEDS TOO 55 56 57 CHEVYS AND IMPALAS NOMADS I HAVE NO OPINIONS ON WHAT A CAR SHOULD LOOK LIKE BECAUSE I WAS TOLD ONCE EVERY ASSHOLE DOES INSTEAD I JUST TRY TO ADMIRE WHAT THE OWNER WAS GOING FOR WHEN THEY DECIDED TO MAKE THE CAR THEIR OWN. car guys are the greatest guys in the world i have never once met a bad one for the most part though i am new to this site and it seems like 70 percent of this site is a bad example of what car guys really stand for.. I will avoid this site from now on.

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Man I wish I only had to drive 13-14 hours to get there...

11. I put the + in there thinking of you!;)

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You obviously don't get what this site is about. Maybe you should of Read This First!

Same for you, maybe you should of Read This First! It may have helped clue you in to what this place is about. This is not a general car guy site.

13. Reds 29

Reds 29

I posted earlier because of the safety issues I saw, not because I didn't like sedans or the style or anything else. I like all kinds of cars, trucks whatever, but safety should be of a concern for all of us.
    Red

14. flamed34

flamed34

REDS,
    I think this is a positive post. You saw something that in your experience could pose a serious safety risk (with an example even). This is the type of info we all come here for. For some of the younger builders (or new to the hobby), this kind of knowledge and experience just can't be bought.

15. truckjunky24

truckjunky24

slaughterhousecustoms i like your ol car! Hell i like them all!! i dont know why people are bashing you for your build!! WTF!!! go to dirtyrottenrides.com look at those rides!! i am on there truckjunky24 . hey brother, build what you want and call it what you want its yours!!!

16. screwball

screwball

Ive read the read this first over 100 times but Im still not a hoodlum I just like the site and most of the cars. Open minds = open imaginations.

17. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

to me it wasnt that the guy built a rat rod out of a courier or the sedan its that he posted his stuff here on his 2nd post without understanding what this forum is about (admitting it himself) and expecting all to be amazed at what he did in 18 days - what he did in his garage is fine, and appears to be better put together than alot of the ratshit Ive seen not as good as some. im sittin in socal thinking 18 days in that garage in the snow he has motivation - and an interest in cars - so cool - but i agree with every bit of the 'tough love' dished out...he deserves all of it as he posted here to be commented on - for the very same reason most of us arent posting our stuff on ratrodfest.com and exepcting anyone there to give a ratzass (pun intended)

18. Yeah . . . we get a bit "up on our traditional soap box" here a bit . . . that is the way it is. If any of us are coming here for constant pats on the back, we better not waste our time. There are always as many opinions as A-Holes, just care about the ones from people whose opinions you believe in.

He can build his cars anyway he wants -- as long as they are safe and don't put other people at risk while on the road. I don't really care what his rides look like, what the style is, etc -- just make sure the fabrication is sound, welds are sound and that proven engineering designs are used.

Poor designs, weak or too thin of material, bad fabrication -- then all kill and maim people . . . we're all obligated to know what we're doing, seek help when we don't and NOT be in a hurry just to get something done. Most mistakes are made when somebody is in a hurry (every one of us knows this!) . . . so if you can do a good, solid and safe design in 18 days, great . . . if you can't, then you better spend more time or get folks who can to help out.

I'm not going to spend my time trying to deduce what this car is all about, how good the welds are/aren't, waste of time via pictures. If he has specific questions about specific design aspects, then I'll lend my opinion -- but he ain't asking, so I'm not going to offer up my opinion.

19. woodman

woodman

To each his own. I like it. It has attitude, a hot rod that will turn heads. Sweet work on the interior.

20. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

Man I love Milli Vanilli but who are they going to get to lip sync for the one that killed himself

21. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

I just want to say at 6'3" and a aching body that car is not one I would want,
    BUT.....Lets keep in mind before you shread someone, that at least there where some guys that spent 18 days working with what ever tools and vision they had,most likely in a cool or cold garage instead of slingin dope or gettin in trouble with the law.

I built racecars for myself right out of high school that at the time got worked on around the clock with every dime I had.
    In their day, In my mind where the greatest at that time....I look back at old photos now and think WTF was I doing...... Isnt that how we get better and hone our skills no matter what our style of hotrod or racecars is? At 43 years old I can build some nice stuff now compaired to then,But the day I stop learning is the day they throw that first shovel of dirt in.

So ease up.... the glass is half full

Tony

22. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I don't think we should bash the guy on style but if a safety issue is obvious then it should be pointed out because it can get people hurt.
    There are a lot of issues with the car but most can be fixed easily and are no doubt the result of haste.

As for the style, I remember seeing a pic of a just as severely chopped and primed deuce 2 dr sedan backed into a curb wall, with a chain lift holding the front a good 8' off the ground, while the owner/builder screwed a sheet metal floor/bellypan onto the bottom of the deuce rails.
    Ratty and low buck...but it was around 1950 and the young fella was getting it ready for a dry lakes meet.
    Theres lots of historical evidence for a squished car! :)

The things I see that need work are the links and mounts like has been said...but also fuel tank/battery placement and shock positioning.

I really don't understand why its considered some kind of accomplishment to put something together in just 18 days...unless the resulting car is perfect in every way.
    Anything less and your just setting youself up for judgement.

Go back and do it right!
    Your looking at Hot Rodding as a down...not the up it should be.
    Don't settle for something just because it will allow you to call it done in 18 days, when spending twice as long would have given you 4 times the car AND actually tested your build/design talent!

You have major skills in several areas but your not making the most of them.
    If you DID...I think the sky would be the limit for you!!! :)

As for those knee darts...you don't need to be told thats dumb...
    I give you more credit than that.

23. KRITTERSKUSTOMS

KRITTERSKUSTOMS
    from JONES, OK

If its not yours you dont have to like it!!! But give the guys credit, they said the same thing about traditional hot rods, rock&roll, mini trucks, etc.
    GREAT JOB GUYS!! IT TAKES 18 DAYS TO GET MY SHOP CLEARED TO START A PROJECT!!

24. skwurl

skwurl

Winner winner chicken dinner. This is probably the dumbest fucking thing I've read on the HAMB so far. 8 to 9 hours, are you serious? Do you have any idea how many owner's of hot rods you just tried to insult? Have you driven a A or T coupe for 8 to 9 hours at one time?[/QUOTE]
    I have driven my A coupe that long. Not straight . stopped for gas and food.It sucked but I've done it

25. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

Not to bash.... but have to agree a lil with the bash, BECAUSE..... this IS A TRAD ROD SITE.
    No shit smear on you cause you say you didnt know.... but you it WOULD have been better posted on the Ol Skool site.
    If it was my car i wouldnt have posted it HERE.... I have cars that I wont post pics of here....you understand why now dont you?
    Now...... lets see some tire smoke pics... that makes everybody warm inside.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  26. Muttley

Muttley

The first 16 days were spent getting drunk, smoking weed and hitting themselves in the head with ball peen hammers.

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's too bad. He could have learned a lot here. Oh well.

28. adam401

adam401

This thread again? Really? Guy is proud of a car that doesn't belong here but doesn't deserve a bunch of shit talk that most guys wouldn't say face to face if given the chance anyway. As far as cutting the car so much that it can't ever be a legit hot rod, Henry Ford did that the day it was stamped into a sedan. Another cut up grocery getter. Who gives a fuck. They can keep the 2 and 4 door sedans and we'll keep the roadsters and coupes. Deal?

29. rocket8

rocket8
    from antioch CA

30. All I'm going to say is I wish that car had been at the hamb drags last year for me to look at instead of some of the trash that showed up.If you were there you know what I am talking about.At least its not fiberglass and as long as you have fun with it who cares what everybody else thinks.I like the car thumbs up slaughterhouse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.