Register now to get rid of these ads!

street freak

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meteorgasser, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wild willey

wild willey

On the "IMP and the Double Nickel" wasn't that the trend for straight axles?? "Can't speak from experience". But I thought I read somethin' on it. Also "Current trends" speakin' wouldn't Pro Street be considered the NEW "Street Freak" with all the Pro Touring and creature comfort cars. WHADDYA THINK!?!?!?

2. solid

solid

Far out, man.

Attached Files:

droppedstepside likes this.
  3. Munstergarage

Munstergarage
    from Visalia ca

I used to own this car. It was the scariest thisg i had ever driven. It was evidently the baddest car is some town in Colorado and it was built just like you see it in 1968. 327 with a gmc on it, and altered wheel base. When I got it it only had 19000 original miles on it as it had been raced since it was only 4 years old. People gave me a lot of crap about '40 axle on it and said " Thats not the way they dunnit back then." But I think that since the beginning of hot rodding the way people "dunnit" was to use the parts that they had laying around if they couldn't afford the new trick stuff. I wrestled with lowering it down a bit and putting a nice parrallell leaf on it but left it alone considering the history of the car. I obtained the car through a series of trades and had about $4500 in to it and then got close to ten times that when i got rid of it. Say what you want but that car got the most positive attention of any car iIve ever owned and even inspired a few locals to put axles on their cars. I have to agree though if i was building it parallels would have been the way to go. more pics of this car in my album.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  4. To put this in simple terms...........Hell NO!:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  5. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

The body roll on that Impala has to be terrible.

6. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

The more I think about thatImpala the more I get sick. Thatwould be like throwing a 49-51 Merc up like that . "YOU JUST DON"T DO IT". That car looks best as a simple muscle car look or a really nice Lowrider ..........IMHO

7. Munstergarage

Munstergarage
    from Visalia ca

It wasn't really built to carve corners.

8. Munstergarage

Munstergarage
    from Visalia ca

Lockwood, Thats what I loved about that car, it offended so many people some latino's might have rather seen you slap the virgin mary. You take the ultimate lowrider, put a blower, alter the wb and jack it up in the air. I think what made the car great was that it just waived it's middle finger at conformity.

9. Munstergarage

Munstergarage
    from Visalia ca

I don't think that it could be put any better, I'm the only one in my box as well. But I like my box and I even like Lockwood's box.

10. moparforlife

moparforlife
    from Rolla, MO

11. Funny you should say that,I just sent that rear photo to a guy in one of the larger Hispanic Lowrider clubs in Arizona sayin this is how a 64 should be built..........I figure I will hear the scream all the way across town when he opens the pic....bitchin car,I remember a black 63-64 outa Orange county Ca. called the black bitch sat about as high and really grabbed ya when you walked up to it..........

12. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Gotta love that!!:D

13. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Thats funny, i was just thinking of the black bitch car. If I remember right its in an issue of Popular Hot Rodding.

14. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Thanks Munster............lol............but seriously that had to be a handful to drive. They are not a small car :eek:. But I have to say I like to be different and piss off those who think everything is supposed to be a certian way. So I can respect what you have done :D. I always catch shit about my 39 Ford from the restoration guys out there. But I tell them it is my car I will do what I want to with it.

15. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

That is funny shit but make sure he don't have a bad heart. I will see if I can hear him all the way over here in NY. :D

16. LabRat

LabRat

Not mine , but some that grab my attention ....

100_7833sc.jpg

869379377_e019dadb22_b.jpg

17. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

The Black Bitch was also in the August 75 issue of Car Craft Street Freak issue and in Street Machine...How many 63 Impala's have you seen with a tilt front end?

18. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

The way I remember it, Street Freaks weren't necessarily gasser-looking. Most featured in the magazines at the time had the sort of 'nasty' extreme rake that let the driver of the car behind you at the traffic lights study the rear suspension. Rear tyres often protruded.

It's like pretty much the same thing became Pro-Street by narrowing the rearend, adding tubs, and lowering the rear suspension. The tub was the essence of Pro-Street: without it the tyre has to go underneath and you've got a Street Freak.

19. Munstergarage

Munstergarage
    from Visalia ca

Thanks Meat ball. You know one day I was gassing that Impaler up at a union station in Pomona when 3 P-town crips walk up to me and say "What the f#@* did you do to yo sickty fo man?" I thought they were gonna jump me so I said "I just bought this thing man today, I'm taking it to my shop to put some hydros and 24s on it.". They replied " Aight man I hope you f*$&ed the guy up dat did this to dat thang." I get that reaction several times but usually people would come to me and say" That's cool man, my cousin has one just exactly like that." " not like this." I would reply.

20. Munstergarage

Munstergarage
    from Visalia ca

Oh yeah the car was about as scary as you could imagine. I once trailered the car from Pomona to Burbank to take it to Bob's Big Boy and unloaded and drove itin, when I returned some drunk had plowed in to the back of my truck and trailer forcing me to drive it home, about 50 miles. Talk about a white knuckle ride! With the altered wheel base it would really transfer the weight quickly. I only really got in to it once and it would quite easiky pick up the front tires, which was ok until it broke the rear tires loose and go sideways , that's the point when I crapped my pants.

21. DDlova

DDlova
    from Virginia

thanks for the extra pics of the Impala and the background on it! looks like it was a pretty wild car. i wonder where it is today?

the "Black Bitch" is another car i remember quite well. one reason is that i had it taped to my wall as a kid and my mom wasn't all to happy about the name on the side. imagine trying to pull off running a car like that on the road with that painted on the sides today, i doubt it would go over well with the mini van crowd and the cops. i cant imagine it would go over well in a bad area of town either, especially if you happen to be a white guy driving it. some old timers may dig it, but the younger guys would probably fill you and the car with lead within seconds.

on the other side of the coin there was a '69 or '70 Mustang that had "White Trash" painted on the sides.

Dave

22. Turbo442

Turbo442

OT but, me and my friends used to go down to Berkley every week. There was a bum on Telegraph who used to work in the store everyday and yell (roar, whatever he was doing), like clockwork. First time you heard it, freaks you out, after that it's just funny!
    Sometimes I miss hanging out down there and the Street Freaks.

23. meteorgasser

meteorgasser
    from Lodi, Ohio

Thanks for the information. that Chevy is exactly the look I am going for and interior pics of any of these types of cars what is a good shifter for one with automatic for the look of over the top I have a turbo action ,old mustang ,old Hurst auto stick ? As for a box I don’t fit in a box
    Those oddball gasser pages are mostly foreign cars I don’t fit in them either. what about exhaust I don’t want fender well headers that’s been done a million times or a moon type tank it will be lettered up and look like a race car but new paint none of that patina crap
    May even have a shine

[​IMG]

art work going on sail pannel the car willl be called cany corn

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

When I think of a street freak style car, what comes to mind is something you'd see on a Roth T. Cartoonish, wacky proportions, etc. Some race cars, especially altereds and some gassers look that way to me, but many custom rods do also. I can't remember the name of the car or builder, but I remember seeing a wacked out purple coupe a year or so ago on the HAMB - the one that wasn't allowed on the track for some nostalgia racing safety reasons? That car certainly fit the bill for me. Anyone know the car? Gary

25. wvenfield

wvenfield

You wouldn't do it today. Just like you wouldn't stock car race a 32 Ford today.

Back when that Chevy was built, they were plentiful and cheap. I love it.

26. wild willey

wild willey

Da "Purple People Eater"!!!! Way KOOLSVILLE RIDE!!! ^^^^^

27. Kartoon Kars is the term I use to describe those that imitate or have ties to the purpose built cars. Street Freaks are a wild tribute to the drag cars of the time.

28. aceuh

aceuh

How about some CARtoons street freaks??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

30. davidwilson