Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 merc, bad chop, how do i fix it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atotalnincompoop, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Jay71

Jay71

Bitchin Merc!

2. hvychvy

hvychvy

Still a killer car though!!You'll get her fixed,at least you have it.Keep us posted.

3. I blew it up for better viewing...From the side,the bottom of the window looks worse! If you cut the bottom loose and lower it a little it will solve both issues. Top and bottom.

[​IMG]

4. Oh yea...that painted grill has got to go!!! It would so much better if it was all chromed...
    I found a pic of one that looks alot like yours. It belongs to a friends wife...

[​IMG]

5. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

I don't think you should mess with it.
    Sell it to me instead :p

6. Mercchev

Mercchev

Drive it and enjoy it...Life's too short to worry about how the back window doesn't line up. When it needs an overhaul or a rebuild on the motor, then get to it. Til then, drive the wheels off it!

7. SANTO_DIABLO

SANTO_DIABLO

2x!

I hate shaved rain gutters too! it distorts the look of the roof to me.

8. WOW!!
    i hadn't thought about louvers, until now!!
    and yes the grill will be chromed:)

9. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

Looks like your dealing with two challenges here. The top of the glass is too low and the bottom of the glass is two high. Looks like there a lump in the roof line. While the cars outside get some good side shots about 20' back from the car, so you can get a good visual of whats going on. Then take the pictures 8 X 11 and rework them to get the right line for the roof. This will give you an idea of what you've got to do to the car.
    This is what happens when you can't stand back and see how things look. In the garage it will look great!!

The Old Tinbasher

[email protected] E-mail me if you like TOT

10. Here's a few more pic's...

[​IMG]

Notice the skirts...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Also notice the rain gutters... :D:D:D

12. your right, the rain gutters look better:)

13. Get yourself a pair of Merc bumpers too! I know it sounds like i'm shitting on your car,but you asked what we think,so i'm just throwing out my opinion....

14. mon, thats almost the same car. gives me hope:)
    any idea what that rear bumper is of off?

15. SANTO_DIABLO

SANTO_DIABLO

the rear looks like a DeSoto bumper

16. thats weird i just posted about the bumpers.
    i realize that my car needs alot, i haven't done anything on it as of yet because i am in the middle of another build.
    body, wheels, bumpers, interior, drivetrain, it needs a complete overhaul:)

17. Shaved drip rails on a merc ???? I dont know what Sam Barris was thinking when he started doing that??? :rolleyes:

18. I added you to the HAMB Merc Club,so check it out...
    I hope to follow your progress.

19. Make sure the people that are telling you how to fix your roof post the pictures of the mercs they have chopped.:cool:

20. chrisclarkcustoms

chrisclarkcustoms
    from las vegas

Just leave it... We took a car apart to redo some custom fins and found out the car was rear ended and needed a hole new rear clip. I'd still be cruzing that car if it wasnt for trying to ''fix it''. I got parted out.

21. That doesn't mean it looks good. That just means Sam did it. I don't like the drip rails removed...never did! I know lots of guys like them that way. Different strokes...Hate bubble skirts too,but lots of guys like those too.

22. If you look at the pic's of the rear window. It looks bad. He didn't do the work,BTW. The car is pretty straight though. Even though it needs some refinements.

23. Hang out for a while before you start doing anything. Do you do metal/body work?

24. I didnt say that "it looks good" but if you are going for a traditional or a period look then there was NEVER a question if the driprails were getting shaved or not,it was a must. If you are not going for that early look then it really dont matter. As far as Sam Doing it goes....... he set the standards in kustoms till this day.

25. It's still based on preference though...Just like fashion. Just cause Tom Selleck had a moustache in the 70's doesn't mean it looked good,haha!!!

26. glassguy

glassguy

all in all thats a nice merc.. wouldnt take much to turn it around. good luck with it..

oy yeah. no louvres!! customs are smooooth!! that to me would be like puting the hood emblem back on.. but thats just me.. again good luck, enjoy the ol gal

27. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

bob i thought that was the merc that was parked next to you!! your bumpers are 53 desotos which look good on a 51 merc but not on the 49-50. you could always add a gutter back on for looks. this merc had one already removed and the owner wanted something there. its just 1/4" rod.

Attached Files:

28. Nobody is perfect... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

29. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

I agree with the gutter chanels are missing

/Stefan

30. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I know this is a different car, but the principles are the same! And besides, no one has offered pics of "real" cars being fixed, so this guy can assess the amount and type of work ahead of him before he attempts to do this.
    These are from the thread I mentioned back in the beginning of this thread.
    The 48 Merc here was bought by by great friend Vic Collins, as an unfinished project that was actually being done by my old mentor. Unfortunately, in his declining years, he suffered from senility/Alzheimers, or some other condition. His workmanship, after he lost his shop, was bad, to say the least.
    Anyway, we set out to undo some of the work that was done and finish up this car.
    You can see the rear window angle is wrong, and the work is pretty poor.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010