Register now to get rid of these ads!

John Milner's Dragster ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zack Methvin, Jan 3, 2010.

1. choke

choke

You can get a reproduction of the Deist style mask through Impact Racing for about $295.00 plus shipping. Bil Simpson just came out with them. There' really silvery like chrome just like the early ones. They look pretty good as long as you don't have to have the Impact logo on the thing.

2. After the movie was finished, the 2 dragsters were advertised in National Dragster minus drivetrains. I contacted the studio for pics and was sent some reprints of a movie shot. I remember talking to Davey Urehara (sp.) who was the coordinator on the set. He stated that it was a real pain to do. The director wanted the cars to be ready for another shot in a few minutes with no cool down time. At the time, I think the Milner car was priced at $2500.

3. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

You know, John Milner was a BIG name in drag racing back in 64. I'm sure those are prototype valve covers that they were testing to see if it was worth it to even start a company :D. See, it worked. Had they not put those on John's dragster, MOROSO might not have even become a household name.

4. mikeyfrombc

mikeyfrombc

good point i thought the same when i was looking at that image , IMO it needed some old corvette covers with spacers under then to clear a stud girdle if they ran them back then LOL i wouldn,t know i was born in 68

5. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

http://www.goodvibesracing.com/moreinfo.php

[​IMG]

6. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

Not to mention the puke tubes and angle plug heads...

7. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I was lucky enough to meet him at the SF Cow Palace in 2000 and he could not have been a nicer, more patient person with all his fans, and there were plenty. My brother entered his '31 sedan in the '99 Portland Roadster Show, and Paul Lemat was there as well, and my brother asked him to sit in his car (on the show floor!) so he could snap a pic, and Paul acted like he was happy someone even recognized him. Truly a classy guy.

8. vinmanr2d2

vinmanr2d2
    from new jersey

thats OFFICER FALFA......... F A L F A, AND YES THAT CHICK IS SMOKING HOT.

9. junkman123

junkman123
    from axton,VA

thats as bad as a scene from dazed and confused, it was suppossed to be set in july 1976 but there was a trans am in the back ground of the girls hazing scene with a set of 1985 iroc wheels on it

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  10. rustyhood

rustyhood

If my memory serves me correctly Hot Rod Mag did a cover story on America Graffiti, and in the artical it wrote of the 58 chevy being purchased by a lawyer for his sons first car. And it went on that the son didn't know it was in America Graffiti until him and his girlfriend was sitting at a drive in and seen it drive across the screen in that film. Also Hot Rod Mag wrote that the coupe wouldn't stay running and the rod had to be towed through some scenes. No mentioning about 55 chevy problems. This story is different from this link http://americangraffiti.net/moviecars.html posted on John "Gunner" Gunnell reply. I wonder which story is correct? Just make me wonder about some stories I read in Hot Rod Mag. Gotta sell' em I guess.

11. chevy3755

chevy3755

have met John several times...very nice guy....

12. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

Hey Rustyhood
    Your stories are off a bit so why don't you go out and read a few more books then come by my site and I'll show you a few things.
    All Graffiti All The Time :cool:

13. Any new news?

14. was that the museum in Murdo,SD? they've got a tucker there and a supercharged duesenberg owned once by clark gable..

15. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

No, I have run down all the clues i have and nothing. There are several versions of what happened to the car but as of yet i cannot confirm which one is actually the real car. I will keep trying though, LOL

16. dwrfab

dwrfab
    from Dallas TX.

17. Herdez

Herdez

Well, couldnt sleep found this thread again, read a few lines and got the AG dvd again, thought i had missed the other side and no there is no MAG on the back side of my copy. Behind the scenes is cool to watch.

18. Yep and they're aluminum SBC heads, too. Anodized A/N fittings on the braided steel hoses also. But the chick from Iceland was 100% correct!:cool:

19. diamond dave

diamond dave

i've actually got the original slingshot in my garage. i found it at a local swap meet in randolph, ohio a couple years ago. i traded the previous owner a mossberg 20 gauge shotgun, some 44 inch mud tires,a sleeve of copenhagen snuff,half a mason jar of my grand dad's special corn whiskey, 3 fightin' roosters , and my best black and tan coon dog for it.
    okay, not really, but i had to be part of the post. i wondered what happened to it too.

20. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

LOL, I wish i had it in my garage. I am sure someone, somewhere knows where it is today.

21. diamond dave

diamond dave

no fooling this time. i just talked to milner at the canfield swap meet today. he did a picture signing. i asked him if he knew where it was, and he said that he didn't know. he also said that the guy that owns his coupe, was looking for it. real nice guy. took a pic with me for free, and i got a real nice glossy of him at paradise road autographed.

22. hotrodroadster32

hotrodroadster32
    from Mass

I always wondered about this car,and also the orange hunt brothers dragster,wheres that car?

23. i met paul lemat at the calvalcade of customs car show in cincinnati a few years back very nice down to earth guy when i walked up to his table he asked iof i liked the movie and i said oh yeah and he did seem to be genuinely surprised to be remembered

i met candy clark and bo hopkins at the same show the year before they were both nice also bo really seemed to have an eye for the women

24. FastAndLoose

FastAndLoose
    from Warren, PA

inspired to start building a tribute/replica of the Milner digger... sold off my circle track interests today, time for a project with longevity and significance!

25. violet springs

violet springs

I met Paul Le Mat at the Canfield swap meet, real nice guy.

[​IMG]

26. petes65usa

petes65usa

Yeah, I saw him at Canfield this weekend..True ,very down to earth guy...cool !:cool:

27. dlotraf

dlotraf

You might want to take a look at the fhd that Milner raced at the opening of MAG and lost to and, then later got ft end from. I can't tell from clip but the body is similar, I think, to the SD fed.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  28. As stated, I will go look at teh Boondocks digger and take lots of pictures when they open in a few weeks.

29. rdefabri

rdefabri
    from NJ

The original movie had inconsistencies as well - it takes place in 1962, yet the song on the closing credits is "All Summer Long" by the Beach Boys, which wasn't released until 1964.

30. Come on guys! Don't make me build a tribute car!!

[​IMG]