Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Very Kool, wild 50 Chevy project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straykatkustoms, Jan 8, 2010.

1. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rick Wittborn aka junkjunky on the HAMB is working on one of the wildest Chevy projects
    that I’ve ever seen. I'm a huge kustom fan and I like to see guys that are not afraid to try
    something new.

It is mostly 50 Chevy, widened 7" at firewall & narrowed 6" between tail lights to make
    it fit the Camaro roof. Rear fenders have been widened 3", old Chevy roof was used to
    replace trunk area. 56 Pontiac rear bumpers & 54 Chevy kustom tail light lens (Night Prowlers).
    The hood widened to fit, don't remember how much, he used small head lamps from an old
    veter faring off of his old harley, hope they're legal. Everything else was hammered out of
    old sheet metal he had. Oh it sets on 78 a caprice and has 1960 Chevy dash & 59 Olds wheel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did some photoshop'n to round off the top of the "B" pillar to Rick has made the changes
    to the "B" pillars. While I was playing I had to throw on some wide whites and some skirts.
    Sorry Rick...... I'm thinking that it might look kool with smoothies and spiders with no skirts.
    Hummmm I guess I'll be working on that photoshop next.

[​IMG]

I love the kustom work that was done to the rear end of this wild Chevy. Talk about body
    lines that flow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rick has the Chevy torn back apart to start the final build process. Good luck & I kan’t wait
    to see it on the road.

Happy Trails,

Mick

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

IMHO, Mick, the first thing that hits me in the face is the rear wheel wells...they are "rounded" and huge while the fronts are "square" and narrow... not much "flow" to me there. I think the rears should match the fronts or at least put the square Chevy style skirt on it...

The rest of the car, I think, looks fine...

R-

3. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

x2 on the rear skirt...

4. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

I like it....but have to agree on the front/rear wheel wells. The skirts definiatly help. Is he going to change the front wheel wells to be similar to the rear? Have to give him some serious kudos for tackling this job. Tons of work, and looks good. Keep the progress pics coming.

5. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

With your skirts and the B pillar curved,,I'd like to see the hood lowered some (sectioned).

6. That is just too cool!!! I love it!! Keep us posted on your progress!

7. MichiganJames

MichiganJames

Very Cool! I will be watching this one for sure.

8. Reminds me of a Billy Gibbons' Cad-Zilla style of build. The one element that stands out to me is the rear wheel wells as mentioned before. They just don't fit the rest of the car. Also I think it would look better without skirts. But overall, nicely executed. Just my two cents.

9. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

The Camaro top and windshield throw it off for me....but I still think it's pretty cool anyway. A gold star for originality.

10. Tin Can

Tin Can

Looks pretty cool. i give props to the guy for going insane with the modifications and thinking outside the box.

11. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

I agree with a couple of the others......it may need the fender skirts and or at least make them match. Really admire the time and work. It will be a very bad ride when it is done.

12. mrsaturn

mrsaturn

This car is SCREAMING to have the exhaust come out through the sheet metal behind the doors on both sides. Looks pretty brutal as it is though, I love it. Where do people get ideas like this?

13. mx6262

mx6262

This is why I'm a Hamer!!!!! I love customs and this is one of the coolest well thought out projects yet. Very strong looking car, I want it !!!!!;)

14. Crazy.....that's all I can say. The plasma and mig(or tig) know no limit. Go Cat Go!

15. Can someone photoshop this into a wagon?

16. are the top and bottom of the grille opening from a 54 chevy grille?

17. mrsaturn

mrsaturn

Yes! That is what I wanted to hear. Fantastic. Can't wait to see pictures of that. Any chance we could get a detailed writeup on that? I'm always curious to see how exhaust gets routed and fabricated for something like that. How do you ensure that it doesn't rattle against the bodywork when it comes through the rocker?

18. Pancake (is that the right term) that hood, and I think the car is pretty neat. Is that a 2nd gen Camaro roof and back glass?

19. Okievoodoo

Okievoodoo

I think the rears with their flow match the car better than the fronts... sectioning the hood, then rounding out the front, sweeping them toward the back I think would look good...

20. Thats a really neat wild custom. Looks like the spirits of the old customizers are coming out on that one. Where would we be if they hadn't tried something out of the ordinary. Keep up the good work!!!

21. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It's much more in proportion than what's his name's that got banned a while back.

22. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

I dig it. I would leave ther rear whell openings and round the fronts to match. Round off the B pillars, section the hood and round the front corners and make the trunk lid bigger. The trunk lid just seems way out of scale and kills the look of the rear end for me.

23. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

t first I was wondering if it was too much but after about 5 seconds i started to really dig it...I think that looks cool as hell man. Im digging this...

24. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I like it just the way it is.

I could also picture a Pontiac strip down the hood where the bare metal is and maybe some 56 Pontiac type air intakes over the headlights.

25. Gigantor

Gigantor

I admire the skills it took to pull this off, particularly the widening of the firewall and hood and narrowing of the rear and trunk area.... I even dig the rear wheel wells... but I am so not feeling that roof. I had a 2nd gen Trans Am, and that's all I can see. Maybe it has something to do with the way the top "modernizes" it, like the absence of side vent windows or something ... hell, I don't know. Maybe it's just me.
    Awesome skills nonetheless.

26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I've come back here 3 or 4 times to look at this car. the top just don't do it for me. too flat.

27. i think this is my third time looking at it...i am digging it. awesome imagination. i bet you were a lego maniac when you were a kid.

28. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

I won't comment on the design or lines or shapes but i will say that I like seeing these kinda cars built. It reminds me of my teens(90's) when I had my nose buried in Custom Rodder Magazine. I used to love how they would show all these wild cars with panels swapped from different makes and vintages.
    We don't see it as much since the focus is now mostly traditional or period perfect customizing.

29. PUTRID FAME

PUTRID FAME

looks good. lots and lots of work went into it i can jusy imagine.

30. Astrochimp

Astrochimp
    from NE Mo.

Wow!

IF anything, my change would be to use a 70 style F body small rear window, and a 50's Vett style front fenders(the 'dent') to mimic the rear cut out.

I bet when you tell people you "put a 78 camaro roof, on a 50 Chevy" they get a funny look and wonder away.

David