Register now to get rid of these ads!

Red Ram Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AD, Oct 24, 2008.

1. crashgravis

crashgravis

Obviously the bigger ones are more sought after, but the low deck ones have a following as well.

Guaranteed if it turns it's worth $500 no matter what size it is, and even siezed up or blown up ones will bring $300 because the heads can be swapped onto Poly blocks.

A D-500 Red Ram might be worth 2K+ if it's got the right numbers on it, even as a core rebuilder.

Get some numbers on it and post them up, or just offer the guy $200, if he takes it, you won't lose.

Are you sure it's not a Poly engine? They all said Red Ram on them.[/QUOTE]

there goes my low ball offer ! :(

2. krooser

krooser

Check the date on the original post.... 1 1/2 years old...

3. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

Thanks! New info is always welcomed. Some info also surfaced on the HAMB this summer: History: The Markley Bros Belly Tank

Doc Frohmader completed a build series on the 241 that I'm going to use when building my 270: Dodge 241 Hemi Build

I've reached out to couple HAMB members for info on what they did for setting their motor up for a blower.

4. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

Now I am curious,did he ever pickup the engine? If he did get it,what was it?

5. Weasel

Weasel

De Soto is right about the 270. Tex Smith called it "The jewel in the crown of the early hemis". Bruce Crower built a low deck Red Ram for Indy - I'll post pix if I find them.

The beauty of the low deck 241/270 is that they fit in early cars and you can still close the hood without having to make cut outs to clear the heads or sticking on warts or blisters.

6. Weasel

Weasel

Here ya go....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. psychocross

psychocross
    from Seattle

Beautiful work!

8. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Here's mine: 270" Super Red Ram.
    Picture is two years old.
    Just came back from the machine shop yesterday.

Attached Files:

9. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I had a 270 red ram in a 46 WW2 Weapons Carrier. It had more power than that 6000LB truck needed. The clutch/torque converter set up was really cool and inspired the licence plate. SEMI ATO On a ww2 truck,,,,HAHAHAHAHA
    I hope he got it.

10. Choptop

Choptop

ChopPop and his Red Ram Hemi 1959
    [​IMG]

11. krooser ... Damn Noobs! :rolleyes: :D ... then again, if psychocross hadn't bumped this old thread, we wouldn't have got to see all the other cool Red Ram pics! :cool:

Kreepea_1 ... Hey, thanks for promoting my thread! :)... and just an FYI: psychocross's father (Doug Smith) wrenched on the Markley's Lakesters (belly tank & torpedo) & their Fuel roadster!

Guido ... thanks for posting those pics ... what a beautiful engine! ... any more info about Bruce's Indy Red Ram? ... just last night I was looking through my old Bonneville pics and came across some of Crower's straight-8 '31 Nash powered Roadster and his turbo-charged 32-valve SBC powered Streamliner ... thought to myself that the HAMB really needs a "Bruce Crower's Hot Rods" pictorial history thread ... stay tuned (I just need to find some pics of his high school Deuce Roadster and more of his Hemi powered Hudson).

12. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

I'd like to hear more about Crower's Indy engine too. If you got anything on the one Tony Capanna built for an Indy car (see attached page), please share.

Attached Files:

13. crashgravis

crashgravis

oop's . i'll have to start watching that . thanks

14. Zoo York

Zoo York
    from Zoo York

Nothing wrong with bringing back threads from the dead. Here's my 270 red ram.
    [​IMG]

15. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

Thanks for starting that thread. I was searching ebay for that HRM Dec '62 issue when you posted it.

psychocross, did your father say what the reason was for going with the Plymouth motor vice the Dodge? Will telling me what that bottom end bearing support entailed break a race secret?:D

16. psychocross

psychocross
    from Seattle

Clearly it wasn't dead, just resting.

17. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I'm building a 270 right now and it will end up costing about $7000, but it's a hemi

18. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

What's the build plan? Anything special internally?

19. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Here Again is my Red Ram in my 1935..
    Duane.

Attached Files:

20. Attached Files: