Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 pontiac chieftan frame /ft end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54pontiac, Oct 8, 2005.

1. 54pontiac

54pontiac

I'm looking for ideas from you guys on options for my 54 pontiac. I want to updade the front suspension and brakes. I'm open to subframing but was wondering if any of the 54 chevy stuff will work ? I know the set up is different but are the frames the same? What subframe would work (easiest) to get in there with the least amount of fabrication anyone have a 54 they have done this to?
    THANKS for any input
    Scott

2. Kruzer63

Kruzer63

I put a mustang 2 front IFS in mine, but mine is a Canadian Pontiac and that is identical to the Chevs undernieth. I am not sure how the American Pontiacs chassis differed. Things is if you wanted to go with a mustang 2 IFS, you can always just call up one of teh shops like TCI or Hiedts and fatman, as they usually have an option that if they dont have it as a kit they will give you a sheet that you fill in the dimensions of your frame and then they will make you one that will fit it. I did that with mine as when i built mine Hercules frontends in winnepeg had never done one like my car until mine, and i just gave nec. dimensions and one was built.

3. 54pontiac

54pontiac

I gave fatman's a call they have the frame stub kit , just looking for other opts.
    Thanks ,Scott

4. You could stay with the original kingpin setup. I've used them in all my old ponchos and the worse thing about them is the crappy 2" brakes. Some semi-metallic linings and a power booster would help here. Fatman makes dropped spindle uprights and with 2 loops cut outta the front coils, you can get it on the ground. A '54 steering box is a good design with tapered roller bearings instead of the earlier bronze/brass bushings. Skinny radials make it steer much easier than old fat bias plys too..plus they drive great with radials. Not sure about availability of disc brake conversions..
    Nova subs are a great alternative but measure for track width first..those old ponchos are narrow.

5. US models of '54 Pontiac are nothing like a Chevy, during this period they still used independent designs for frames and suspension. Basically same front suspension was used through '57, though.

Over on the yahoogroups list "pontiac-1950s" some folks have posted information on altering these front ends. There is a 1970's GM rotor that will fit on the stock spindle and you add a bracket for a caliper, or the A-arms can be modified for ball joint spindles from a later model car. Supposedly you can adapt '58 A-arms to the older suspension to convert it, also.

Outside of that, a frame stub or M-II kit is about the only option.

6. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

how wide is the wheel base and frame width(outside to outside) at the firewall? I just installed a trans am clip under my wifes 64 starfire. $100 bucks for disc brakes,HUGE sway bar,power steering, and a 6" drop. went right in. (and since I am running a 455 olds, I can buy headers from a 403 powered trans am and they will bolt right up.)

another easy trick is early chevy II, monza, or if you want to completely screw with your buddies, there were caddilacs from the 80's with subframes as well.

most of these clips can be bought with all the gear still on them for around $100! and when you kill a suspension part, you can go to vhauto zone and pick one up.

7. 54pontiac

54pontiac

Thanks for the input I'll get some measurements on the frame today, nice cool day to be out working on the car.
    Scott

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know this is an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new thread since this basically covers the same questions I was going to ask.

For those of you that updated your front end to an MII, there doesn't seem to be anything on the market specifically for the application. Is there a crossmember kit offered by someone that can be modified a bit for the Pontiac application? Maybe modify the frame itself to accept say a Chevy MII setup?

This is interesting right here. Would like to hear more on converting the A-arms themselves or adapting the later '58 arms. Would also be curious on bag adaptation as food for thought.

So BTTT then.

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. oops777

oops777
    from phx

i have a 77 camaro clip on mine

11. check into a jag front end,they unbolt as complete unit with R&P,PDB.

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Year and model??